My Cobra is REGISTERED! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My Cobra is REGISTERED!

Sorry, just had to exclaim my glee over having the odyssey come to an end after 2 long years of burocratic bologna.

The car is now street legal; plates and tags; and smog exempt...in California, thanks to the SB-100 program.

And, during the BAR inspection, it blew cleaner on the 5-gas than the subaru that as just before me! The guys thought the machine was broken. God bless fuel injection.

Anyway, the car is headed to the body shop this week, and when I get it back...I'll post pictures. It's going 06 GT Tungsten, no stripes.

Here's what it looks like today:

Byron

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ranger50 Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger50
coolness..............

Never trust an intelligent man with no money to play fair.

1995 Dodge Dakota... Just a LOW daily driver....
1997 F250 PSD -- It's broke, it is a Ford afterall.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 PM

Me = JEALOUS! That car is awesome now. I cannot wait to see the final finish product.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 AM

very nice Byron. What problems did you have getting it registered?

Kyle
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:30 AM

Congrats Byron.....It looks absolutely menacing.......Didn't the noise from the engine affect the inspection? GOOD JOB!!!! 8) 8)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Very Nice! I think it looks good (& yes, very menacing) like it is in flat black.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Awesome job Byron,

Doesn't it feel great knowing the politicians don't know **** about smogging cars. It's a joke that you have to bend over backwards to prove that you car will blow clean.

It shouldn't be like that......

Maybe you should submit your buildup to SEMA so they car use it as ammunition to prove that you can hot rod a car and have it blow cleaner than a production car.....

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the support guys!

I do like the flat-black 1981 oxidized gel-coat look. I contemplated painting it flat black until I spoke with some hot-rodders at a local car show about the joys of owning a flat black car. It seems flat-black is rather difficult to keep clean and uniform looking. It's going 06 GT Tungsten...dark silver, no stripes.

The body man is hanging the doors, hood, trunk, roll-bar, shaving all the emblems/badges/handles/side markers and all the other associated stuff, as well as grafting in a viper naca duct for the blower inlet...and doing some glass work to make a nice duct; it should be very cool when its done...simple lines, nothing gawdy, clean...more race car than show car.

Registering this car was a challenge. The SB-100 program in California seems ridiculous to people in rural america, but in California...it's a godsend to the kit-car builder. Back in 2001 (I think) a SoCal senator passed this bill that lets 500 "specially constructed" (home built / kit) cars a year be registered by the year they most resemble. For GT-40 and Cobra kit builders, this means "the sky is the limit", since the year they resemble is smog exempt to begin with due to age. The process involves a lot of steps. First, you have to charge in to the DMV on Jan 2nd and engage in a dialing marathon to the Sacramento DMV to obtain 1 of 500 available numbers. No guarantees. First come first served. I accomplished this in 2004. Next, you have to have the car inspected by the CHP (highway patrol) so they can make sure it's not stolen, and make sure it has a valid VIN. If it has no VIN, they put one on. After that, you have to take it down for a Brake & Light inspection...which is much like a safety inspection in any other state. Then, you have to take the car to the BAR (bureau of automotive repair) and have it examined to make sure it's a valid SB-100 candidate (looks like a cobra). At the same time, they record engine information and smog it...why? I don't know. You should have seen the guy try to figure out WTF he was looking at under the hood. He couldn't figure it out...had to finally ask. Then, when I told him it was a '71 460 block, he couldn't fill out any of that information because it asked for carb type, manifold type, etc...and none of my parts matched the options on the forms. Eventually, he just lied. FINALLY (no, I'm not making this up) you have to go back to the DMV and submit all this crap to get your plates and tags and stand around for an hour while they try to find a way not to register the car.

It was a nice piece of burocratic BS, but it's done! And now, the car is smog exempt and street legal...in the smog happiest state in US.

As far as sound, there is no sound limit on automobiles in CA. It is left to the discretion of the officer to determine if the car is too loud. There are some generally accepted guidelines for "new cars" but nothing for vintage. The "generally accepted" guideline is 85db measured 15ft from the side of the car at idle. Mine is 87db. So basically, you're at the mercy of the cops. If you have a new car and modify the muffler, they can write you a fix-it ticket for modified muffler. On a hand-built or kit car, I don't know what they can do...but I'm sure they can write you up for something. In my case, if they want to be a jerk about it, they could write me up for no front plate and no wipers...I don't have either. I did start the car for the CHP to ask them if they thought it was too loud. The officer told me he thought it sounded great...and that if I got any noise tickets, come see him for signing. He even gave me his card. Nice to know there's at least one car enthusiast among the CHP.

Byron

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

congrats byron,im sure itll be a blast {literally lol!} to drive/launch.
you showed it can be done.
glad im in ohio no emissions testing anymore.
john
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:31 PM

Well Byron, no words can describe what a GREAT achivement you got, with all those obstacles in your way......Again Congratulations, and thanks for sharing all your ups and downs with your project.....BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSSES!!!! 8) 8)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 PM

Nice car... I saw you towing it about a week ago

I guess you were taking it down to the smog station. You have all the toys...tow truck is a Lightening.

Had to say ... High fives for sticking it to the man: its good when you can beat him with their own rules.

Like it or not...death takes its tax...always!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I love it.....

I love it when a plan comes together !!!! Awesome ride.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in