Gas Prices - UGH!!!!! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gas Prices - UGH!!!!!

Gas Prices spiked AGAIN! It's over $3.00 a gallon now, fortunately I filled up at flying J yesterday for $2.85 a gallon.

I'm thinking that maybe I should have sold my race car last year and bought a HD Fat Boy or maybe a scooter :P

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 07:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Welcome to my world, been $3.05 here for the past 2 months. :? for regular.

A sad thought. I won't really be able to afford to drive my Cougar once my 460 swap is done. :roll:
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 AM

Quality Time

It's called Quality Time, Boys! Sure prices are high, they won't stay there forever. Just cut out the unnessesary use and enjoy the rest! We'll get through this, least ya gota tell your self that!

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 AM

My attitude is that in the lnog run prices will never be this low again so I'm enjoying all the gas I want to use right now. $3.17/gal for 93 octane at the el-cheapo gas station last time I filled up. I remember when it crested $1.30/gal I was pissed becasue it cost me over $30 to fill the tank. Now it cost me upwards of $80 to fill it. My credit card company loves me now!

oh, did I mention that my current car is a small block, though it will be getting a 460 and toplaoder soon enough. I wish I could afford a 3550 but that isn't realistic. At least my truck with the lumpy cammed small block has overdrive! :lol:
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle
My attitude is that in the lnog run prices will never be this low again so I'm enjoying all the gas I want to use right now. $3.17/gal for 93 octane at the el-cheapo gas station last time I filled up. I remember when it crested $1.30/gal I was pissed becasue it cost me over $30 to fill the tank. Now it cost me upwards of $80 to fill it. My credit card company loves me now!

oh, did I mention that my current car is a small block, though it will be getting a 460 and toplaoder soon enough. I wish I could afford a 3550 but that isn't realistic. At least my truck with the lumpy cammed small block has overdrive! :lol:
lol... I remember when I was daily driving my 75 H/O 10 years ago, and gas hit like $1.10 for 93 :shock:

My daily driver is a V6 Chevy Cavalier, and I'm getting pissed at my 25 MPG :lol: I'll be able to afford the 10 MPG once a week to work or so..

And you're right, it's only going up from here.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That's why I got a diesel. I'm still paying 2.80ish for fuel. BUT I'm looking really hard at burning waste hydraulic oil in it.......

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 01:55 PM

I don't feel so bad paying 5.32 for 110 when the crap gas is 3.17 here. cost me 83.00 and some change to fill my tank with 110 yesterday (16 gal ) :lol: good thing I only drive about 500-600 miles a year
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

2.79 wednesday-3.15 yesterday-3 today.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 06:10 AM

Michigan Gas

In Michigan not only do you pay all the road taxes on a gallon of gas but the state adds sales tax (at 6%) on top of it. So we pay another 18 cents per gallon over the surrounding states.

However, it could be worse, in Canada 3 weeks ago I spent $1.08/liter which figures out to be $4.15/gallon. A lot of that is taxes.

What do the states do to earn 4 times the amount that the gas companies earn? Do they buy, transport, refine, and distribute that oil for the 10 cents per gallon that the oil companies do? Yet they collect 4 times the profit of the oil companies. Next time you hear someone complain about the "obscene profits" of the oil companies inform them who the really profiteers are.

Furthermore, only 30% of the oil company's profits are generated in the US. The other 70% comes from overseas.

If only government was as efficient as the gas companies we would have better roads for less money.

Just my $.04. Thanks for letting me rant.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I always joke about how the "free" health care in Europe and Canada only costs 5 bucks a gallon for gas. Now we're approaching that price and there's no "free" anything. :lol: I guess the joke is on us.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In my situation I was forced to can the Suburban and go to a new Corolla in order to save money. Sad day when a new import is cheaper then an old American model.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:59 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the price of a quart of oil hasn't risen in proportion to gas prices? If it had, we'd be paying around 5 bucks a quart for the conventional stuff. Last time I checked, the gas, the diesel, and the motor oil all came from the same dead dinosaurs. I think the reason is that the oil companies have figured out that America will skip an oil change, but she absolutely WILL NOT WALK to the corner store, or anywhere else, for that matter. It's the same reason why a guy with a $2000 treadmill in his den also has a $2500 riding mower in his garage. Sorry for the rant, but we brought this on ourselves when we (collectively) failed to cut back on fuel use when they began price gouging. .................OK, I'm done bitching now. Thanks for listening. :? :roll:

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Damn....

Damn good point Maverick.... I read the other day that consumption was UP here in VA !!! WE ARE IN THE MATRIX.

I saw that movie the other day, and thought about how we are all being manipulated by people who are smarter than us.
George Klass is RIGHT!!! Right, Chuck S. ?? We can turn this into a Hardcore 5.0 rant. :lol: :lol:

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 11:26 AM

We ARE being manipulated, but I don't think they're really any smarter than us...........we know they're doing it. We're just too GD lazy to do anything about it. Hell, I'm as guilty as anyone, but I love my hobby enough to keep at it as long as I can find a way to afford it.

Another indicator of our sad condition: I can tell how many people are working at my shop just by counting the cars in the parking lot. We all work at the same place, start work at the same time, but there's only one butt on every bench seat. We don't care that if EVERYONE rode with a friend, gas prices would fall like a stone, and our horsepower hobby would be cheaper. We're much too busy looking good all alone in an F350 dually. :roll:

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:37 PM

Well I have carpooled in the past. When I worked for the Navy I picked up one of my coworkers as he was on the way and asked if I'd mind dropping him off to/from work every day. No problem there, only added about 5 minutes to my drive every day.

When I was going to school last year maybe 3 times/week I'd give this girl a ride to and from school. She lives about 5 minutes from me.

No reason to not carpool, and it seems when you drive a classic car people are more happy to carpool with you. 8)

Either way, the reason gas prices have gone up so much recently is because of China. China uses an insane amount of fuel that it never used to. Lots of gas is burned there in very inefficient motors for cars, trucks, boats, and a lot is burned in generators since the power infrastructure is not very good over there. I've heard some crazy figures about what percentage of China's power is from small gas and diesel generators. China is here to stay. Even if morepeople carpooled and we burned maybe half the gas that we do now for automobile use I doubt it would make a significant dent in demand and thus price for gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in