Wishbone on a street car.. Opinions Please. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wishbone on a street car.. Opinions Please.

My 67 pony is in the chassis shop, and I need to decide between a panhard bar , track locator, or a wishbone. It is a ladder bar coil over setup. Wanted a 4 link but couldn't get it to fit under the floor while keeping the full back seat. 6 pt cage, 10.5 car, 4spd for now, may end up as a glide later. . Full interior etc.

Car will see equal street and track time. Any advantage to running a wishbone in this case? If more info is needed let me know.

Thx guys, and come on P51s

Praise The Lord... For the Big Block Ford!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A panhard bar would be the best for handling the side load stresses a street driven car sees while going around corners at speed. But they could cause binding with a ladder bar that has solid rear rod-ends & all metal front rod-ends.

Vanishing Point race cars has an "X" link (kinda like dual diagonal track locators) that looks pretty beefy, and looks like it would be stronger than a wishbone.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 04:09 AM

I went thru this when I built my rear end, the wishbone does a good job of locating the rear and is strong enough for street duty, the downside is drag on the shaft and there will be a small amount of side to side play given the design. The track locator is great for the strip, but not strong enough for the street (IMO), I went with an X-brace type track locator (like mentioned above), 2 bars can be removed for strip duty, which leaves you with a standard track locator.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I've been pondering....

I've been pondering this same question for my ladder barred car. Thanks guys for the question and the answers.
My car has solid rear rod ends and heim joints in the front with the wraparound brackets in case of failure. It still looks like it will bind to me. But that's the way I got the car for a good deal, so I will try it on the street. How are your rod ends set up 6cyl3spd?? I have also seen polyurethane rod ends, but don't know how long they would live. I'm still learning here on this one. Good question, and timely. :lol:

Edit: I just left a question on Vanishing Point's site to see what they thought about the street/track use of their X link. I'll let you know what they say.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:05 AM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The X-link is definitely stronger with the 4 3/4" heims on it than a wishbone. I would say for the street , you would have to lubricate the slip joint more often than a pure race set up. But that's not a big deal. Jim & the guys at VPRC will get you straight on it. They are a good bunch of guys. I don't know how they are about getting back to you with an e-mail, but if you decide to call,call early in the morning around 8:00 am. That is the best time to try to catch Jim Geese.

Dave, have you started on your TS 69 Mustang?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Thanks Chris....

Thanks Chris. My car is getting close to decision time and 6cyl3spd had good timing on this question.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok...

I'm glad I asked this question. Chassis guy is taking measurements and ordering ladder bars probably next week. Says it looks like I will need 36" bars. I don't know about the rod ends yet, but he is ordering the competition ladder link bars I believe. He had me leaning toward a panhard bar. I mentioned the wishbone to him and he said they work good, but he had never seen one in a street car. BTW this guy has a factory leaf spring 69 camaro setup with caltracs that is running in the high 5 second rang 8th mile.

Thanks Dave et al. I didn't know there was a such a thing as an X link. I took a look Vanishing Point's stuff. I love it. How do I know which version or I guess he should know how to take the measurement.

But I guess the consensus is either Panhard or X. Definately not a single track locator.

Thanks again. And any additional comments are welcome.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 PM
TopSportsman916

I would say if you gave them the ladder bar C/L & front bracket thickness that they could weld one up for you or they sell them in kits & your chassis guy can build to fit your car.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSportsman916
Dave, have you started on your TS 69 Mustang?
Nothing more than messing with the body drawings a little (raising the rear quarters a little for more tub clearence). I will have my much ignored (as in surface rust!) back-halfed Maverick off the jig shortly after a few more bars are added. But I will probably be starting on a guy's '55 chebby, so the jig could be occupied again (oh well).

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

MS Heims vs CS Heims?

Ok. A little help with the unwelded kit. MS vs CS?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:18 PM
TopSportsman916

If I had to guess, mabe MS over CM due to street use. What do you think??? That would be a good question for Jim Geese at VPRC.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:12 AM

Garage
ignore this post if it is a drag car

If you want it to corner, then use Watts link, Mumford link, Panhard rod or Lotus 7-style lower wishbone. Fabrication-wise, Watts is best bang for buck if your packaging can accomodate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in