Goodbye to an old friend - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Goodbye to an old friend

I have not been around the 385 scene for awhile, I got distracted with some turbo charged 450hp 2.3L. (yea I know kinda extreme from a big block)

Anyhow my baby is up for sale. I have put years into this, I will miss him but
I can afford to keep it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

If you look through the old Network 54 385 forum you will find me as 460stang. You can see a great deal about the growth of the car from the posts made there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 AM

I remember your car,i think it's to cool to get rid of.

I know 4 cylinder turbo cars run good,raced against a 4 cylinder turbo Mustang a few weeks back that ran a 11.79 at 116 mph.Your 460 in your Mustang is already fuel injected why not put a turbo on it.Imagine what it would run like then.I did see in the new 5.0 Magazine a Turbo 4 Cylinder Mustang on the rear bumper at WFC i believe.

Later Mark.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
That's a shame Dallas. I was always really impressed with your work on that car. Good luck with the auction.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

My listing got pulled because I used the word "NOT" in my title. I guess that is not allowed anymore.

Anyhow it is relisted as

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MESE:IT&ih=003

I had serious thoughts about twin holset turbos on the mustang. My current 93 ranger splash with a 2.3L is makeing 450 hp with a holset turbo from a 2005 dodge 5.9 cummins. With 7.5L and 2 holsets a 1000hp would be easy. But the engine is all wrong for boost. Open chamber heads and low compression forged pistons would be needed and at least some good rods. If I could find the cash to do that and buy the fuel pumps and fire hose injectors I would be so tapped out I could never afford to make the rest of the car up to the task and actually make it NHRA legal.

Anyhow thanks for the kind words.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460stang
My listing got pulled because I used the word "NOT" in my title. I guess that is not allowed anymore.

Anyhow it is relisted as

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MESE:IT&ih=003

I had serious thoughts about twin holset turbos on the mustang. My current 93 ranger splash with a 2.3L is makeing 450 hp with a holset turbo from a 2005 dodge 5.9 cummins. With 7.5L and 2 holsets a 1000hp would be easy. But the engine is all wrong for boost. Open chamber heads and low compression forged pistons would be needed and at least some good rods. If I could find the cash to do that and buy the fuel pumps and fire hose injectors I would be so tapped out I could never afford to make the rest of the car up to the task and actually make it NHRA legal.

Anyhow thanks for the kind words.
Turbo from a diesel huh? That's interesting. With the high cost of gas these days, I've been toying with the idea of replacing the 345 V8 in my Scout with an International Harvester four cylinder and adding a turbo from a diesel. I think the Harvester engine would be cool because it's got 7.5:1 compression from the factory. Do you have any links to info about adding a turbo like that?

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Turbomustangs.com has about as good turbo info as anything out there. Take an evening or two, read the FAQs, & search a little and you'll get a very good idea of how to pick the right turbo, what donors have it, & a good price to pay. The rest is mostly simple engineering, well within your bounds & capabilities.

On the other hand, they tend to devour people who go on & ask questions in their 1st post like "I have a 351C, tell me exactly what I need to do to turbo it!" It seems a little harsh to the newbie, but I think it's actually a little kinder, in the sense that turbos aren't a bolt-on proposition (unless it's OE, or a common kit app.). Education is a good thing.

The book Turbocharging, by Hugh Innes, is also good, if a little dated now.

Another thought, which you might already be aware of, is the Nissan SD33 diesel, turbo & NA, available in the later Scout IIs. Normal IH parts sources like Scout Connection & Super Scout Specialties usually want a small fortune for them, but they are cheaper from private individuals. I've always wondered if the regular Nissan diesel as installed by Nissan is exactly the same. Someone told me that they weren't available in the US then, but I've not been able to confirm it.

The only thing I have against the IH 4 cyls. is that they're so durn heavy for what they are. OK power, but much too much iron. Of course the 345 is an engine stand breaker too.

Could also look at using a 2.3 Turbo Ford...?

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in