Outrageous problem with Allstate, warning to all... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Outrageous problem with Allstate, warning to all...

Over 9 years ago I signed up with Allstate for auto insurance. With my new car they raised my insurance to $760 every 6 months for a 2006 Corolla. That is a 126hp, 5-star crash rated, and cheap for a new car. Their quick quote says $540.

Geico is $403 for the same coverage!!!

Now I call to cancel and need it done fast because Thursday I go to Russia for two weeks. My agent will not cancel it until SHE mails me a form that I must sign and then send back to her. By then I will receive a bill from Allstate for $75 as I should be getting refunded $150.

Allstate was good to me at first but I guess after 9 years they think they can screw me and I will smile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Look anywhere except Geico, at least if you like being taken care of when s**t happens.

Being in the receiving non-fault end of an accident with a vehicle covered with Allstate I ahve to say my experience with them was the most pleasant of any insurance company I've dealt with. IIRC it took about a week after the accident for them to give me a check for $4200 for damages to my Falcon. I was pleased with the time frame and amount.

I've dealt with Liberty Mutual and they are sleazebags. Took about a year to get the money for damages to my '67 Galaxie from their senile 77 year old hag of a driver who rammed the side of my car while I was at a red light with no way to escape the collision.

I know a lot of people who have dealt with Geico (on both ends, insured and victim of Geico's insured) and no matter which way you slice it their experiences have been awful. Not to mention the fact that Geico gives lots of radar equipment to police and will raise your rates out the wazoo if you ever get a speeding ticket! Hmm... Now let's put two and two together and see if we don't get four, eh?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:41 PM

Not to mention......if a Geico employee sees your car going down a racetrack they'll cancel your azz immediately. Guess they'd rather see you street race.

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
2006/2008 Ultra Stang World Champion
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Re: Outrageous problem with Allstate, warning to all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpierce55
SHE mails me a form that I must sign and then send back to her. .

Save yourself the hassle and drive down there and sign it in person. The whole reasoning behind it is I can call them up and claim to be you and tell them to cancel. The mailing of the form is their insurance.... no pun intended.

My mom works for State Farm. They are the same way. Just do it in person before you leave and you'll be OK.

Also, as far as what you're paying.... You need to learn to play the insurance game just like them. If you have multiple cars insured make sure you get a multicar discount. If one's a weekend cruiser make sure it insured only for that, etc.... Got life, homeowners, etc... too? Make sure you get the multiline discount.

Most agents will not tell you this because it's just more commission they get to pocket. I have everything with State Farm.

I get the multiline discount, multicar discount, discount for burglar alarm in house. I used to get the recreational discount for my pickup because I had a company vehicle and only drove my pickup on weekends and less than xxxxx miles a year....

Hell, even my car trailer is insured for replacement value. My truck insurance won't cover it if I should total the trailer in a wreck. It's some ungodly small sum of money but it's worth it if you tow it around alot.

Ask them about all the discounts that apply and see how much you'll save. These agents are in it to make money they will not volunteer this info to you. Also, check your deductibles.... Raising them will usually lower your payments, ie; paying 350 a year for a 1000 deductible when you could pay 150 for a 1500 deductible....Just be sure to keep that money in the bank in case you need it.

Just weigh all of your options. I have an inside track because my mom makes sure I get the best deal. Don't be afraid to ask them about any eligible stuff that may apply to you.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:03 PM

Another thing that makes alot of differance is how for you drive to work? If you drive less than 5 or 7 miles insurance will go down alot!

Hint, Hint!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I read sometime back in Car and Driver magazine that Geico has been known to give radar guns to police agencies, apparently in an effort to get drivers ticketed and ultimately jack the rates of the insured...

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had Geico at one time, back then they would not insure you if you admitted you had a radar detector. Only reason I went with Allstate is they had the best price for a home & auto combo deal.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S.
I had Geico at one time, back then they would not insure you if you admitted you had a radar detector. Only reason I went with Allstate is they had the best price for a home & auto combo deal.
I was told Geico was a last chance insurance provider. That is the reason why they have those polices. If you are dropped by any of the major players they will always pick you up. But you have to play by some hard rules!

Same goes for progresive.

(So I was told)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I recently switched to Geico because they were half what I was paying at my old place. Considering I have only ever had two glass claims over the last 21 years of driving saving $1100.00/year seemed a good deal to me. It has probably been 8 years since some punk shot the back window out of my Capri and I got a 'used' back window from that insurance company because a new one was too much so what good are they anyways.

Some kid ran into my wife a couple months ago and he had State Farm and they were very easy to deal with from our end.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I also switched my old cars to collector car insurance and that was the best thing ever. My Falcon is $130/year for full coverage to $11,000.00. It was gonna be $1000/year for basic coverage locally.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in