Ramblings about my '93 Lightning... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ramblings about my '93 Lightning...

I've had my '93 Lightning for about oh what...6 years and 45K miles now. I'm the 4th or 5th owner and it has had a lot of modifications and upgrades along the way. Trans, converter, blower, ported al heads, cam, etc.

Anyway, it never ran smooth above 4500...always had a little shake to it. Engine was rebuilt at 115K, it now has about 160K on it. I figured whomever rebuilt it last time did a crappy balance job.

Well, last week I was racing a new Vette (beat him by the way LOL) and at about 5200rpm in 3rd, the water pump flange decided to kick about 15deg sideways and it felt like the engine lost a rod.

Incidentally, this truck has eaten 3 water pumps and a fan clutch in 45K miles...1 for bearing, one for leaking out the weep hole, and now this one. It's also had a idle heating problem...slowly heats up at idle; always has.

So, I started thinking about this and decided I'd change a few things...

- New Stewart water pump (high quality oem-like hi-flo unit) instead of the kragens cheapie.

- Electric fan swap to Lincoln Mark VIII fan

Finished that Saturday...and what do you know. The engine vibration is gone. Glass smooth to 6200rpm. It appears that the damn fan and/or spacer was causing an imbalance all along and shaking the sh|t out of the last 3 water pumps and took out a fan clutch too

And, the cooling problem is gone...that lincoln fan moves some serious air; and is an easy retrofit. The water pump flows 30% more than stock at idle as well. It's a nice stable 180deg all the time now.

Anyway, just another example how simple crap can cause big headaches, for some reason I'm never able to see the obvious on my own vehicles until I've spent a few hundred bucks and a few dozen hours feeding it parts to eat. LOL.

...such is life.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love those lightnings. What color is yours? My brother had a red 93 that got wrecked and then a black 94 or 95, whichever was the last year. I still have the black fiberglass bed cover lying behind the shop. You want it?

I tried to get the truck from him before he traded it in back in 2000 but I was too late........ :?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I've heard of that before as well as a cracked fan being misdiagnosed as an ignition miss/problem.

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in