O/T...looking at handguns - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

O/T...looking at handguns

Not that anything is really O/T in this forum.

I shoot quite a bit of sporting clays and am well versed in shotguns, but I'm an absolute newbie in handguns. I've found that many "car" guys are also "gun" guys...so figured it's not a bad place to ask.

I have no idea what I really want, not having enough experience to narrow things down. The only thing I know is that I'll be doing a lot of "plinking" so to speak, I won't be carrying the gun, and I don't want a .22.

This Sunday I shot a handgun for the first time, tried a 2" barrel .357 mag, a 4" .38 SW, a 9mm Beretta 92FS, and a 9mm Glock 61.

The snubnose was a riot with .357 ammo, but not much for accuracty. The SW shot great, but I do not like the grip to trigger relationship...had to **** my hand at an angle to pull the trigger. I loved the Beretta, it was the most accurate and felt best in my hand. The Glock was a rental and felt pretty good, but I prefer a bit heavier gun and had a tough time reaching the slide release on the Glock.

So, I want to evaluate some good revolvers as well...please let me know some alternatives.

From what I understand, some good semis to try as well are the HK UCP, Sig 226, Ruger 345. I'm not sold on any caliber yet, thinking 9mm or .40 for semi....38/.357 for a revolver.

Discussion of pros/cons of any is appreciated. I don't mind a large framed gun at all, and would like to keep price around $600 for my first handgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey Chilly,

For a plinking, target gun, non carry, and first handgun. I would look into a S&W .357, something with a 6" barrel, SS, Good trigger, nice grips (that fit your hands), Ect.

You can shoot either .357 or .38 thru it, the ammo is reasonable (inexpensive) and you can load some pretty healthy loads if you wish and with the lighter target loads it will last a very long time with out much maintence other than cleaning.

They can be extreamly accurate too, I have one that can hit beer cans at 100 yards.

.38 and .357 's are a great round to learn to reload on too.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What dfree 383 said, the S&W 357 is the way to go, all the power you'll need.

''If you didn't Build-It'' It ain't Racing!

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 05:09 PM

Yep. If you get a Smith, just throw the factory grips directly in the trash. You and your hand will be much happier, especially if you burn lots of powder.

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Having owned a Ruger, Stay away. IF you do Alot of shooting, and can warrant the initial cost my only recommendation is would be a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 or a Springfield.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

hm, guns are like tools not one is gonna do it. a nice ruger 22 auto makes a good tin can family camp gun, next like as already suggested a six inch 357 double action, a single action forty five for cowboy days, finnally either a berratta nine AND or a 1911 style 45. kimber or springfield manufactor. you can see i like traditonal style/steel not composite plastic guns. bob n
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I would recommend the Sig 229 in .40 or .357 Sig. I have a P228 (compact version of the P226) & love it. You have to shoot a Sig to really appreciate it. I also have a Glock 20 in 10mm & I really like that also. If you are looking for a .22 caliber pistol, I would recommend a Ruger MK 3. I have a MK 2 & it is really accurate & fun to shoot.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 07:43 PM

I love 45's but generally favor wheel guns, .357's are great, the magnum rounds have a good pop and the 38 specials are cheap to shoot, I had a .357 Colt Trooper MK3 I wish I had kept, I have shot Ruger GP100 and S&W .357's, both are very nice, I would also go with a 6" barrell for your purposes.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 08:09 PM

Chilly mmmm kinda gettin off the 460 subject ain't we :lol:
I love to shoot I have so many guns and have had so many I can't count them. I shoot lots of rounds last weekend I shot 2000 rounds and thats most times I go out in the last couple years me and my buddy here have went through well over 500,000 rounds so I guess you could cal me an enthusiast for conciel and carry I love my Taurus 9MM I have had S&W Ruger, Colts, shot Kimbers,I guess I have shot most guns wheather it be hand gun or Rifles. My work friends say I am a gun nut so much I even started working on them..

[/img]
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 PM

Chilly: Talk to Erik at [email protected]. He is a good friend, Ex- Special Forces, has his own tactical equipment sales business, provides specialized training from the novice to the special operator, down to earth. He can make a recommendation, provide training, provide the weapon, etc. My personal opinion would be a Browning Hi-power in 9mm, but they are are grand used. , but for everyday carrry, plinking, affordable and affordable ammo, go with a Glock 19-21 9mm. Virtually indestructable, dont rust, very few parts, easily field strippable, ie no tools involved. Stay away from the Sigs, Hi-points, and our military's Beretta. You won't like the feel of the grips, nor the accuracy. Ask any military personell what they think about a beretta when your life depends on it. Yeah a 357, 38, or 40 is great, but compare the price of the ammo. Don't mind a large frame handgun that is reliable and you don't mind the cost of ammo, then definatley go with a Colt 1911 in 45 Auto. Want a concealable mid-size, go with the Glock in 9mm. You probably want something that you can afford to shoot a lot (practice makes perfect and no-one is perfect). When you cant shoot well, shoot alot! a Glock will hold 13-17 rounds in the magazine, and you can conceal 2-spare mags in a fanny pack (fag-bag). Thats 39-51 rounds for when everything turns to **** and you can't hit your mark because of all the adrenaline flowing! Sorry so long! PS tell Erik I sent you. Bryan

Bryan Totten
"When in doubt shoot again"
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM

Best advice I can give, what I've told many others, and did with my EX, is: Go to several LARGE handgun retailers, with a knowlegable friend if available, pick an experienced sales person(usually older), tell them you are looking at several diferent pieces. Have the sales person put every one YOU are interested in IN YOUR HANDS Try it for fit while they explain all the features of it. Is it comfortable in your hand? are the controls(safety, cylinder release, magazine release, slide release, whatever it has on it. Are they placed where they are convienient TO YOU? and do you feel comfortable with it. Do this at as many places as you can find. Yes, it takes time...it's your money, you are the the one that needs to be happy with it.

"They all fall to hardball".

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to merc460
Well, I may get flamed for this but here goes..........

Everyone has mentioned all the 'popular' handguns, and fine ones they are.
The best 'plinking' sidearm I have shot, is a Makarov 9X18, and I own 2 of them. It is a Russain military surplus pistol. There are three versions of it.....Russain, Bulgarian, and East German.
I have a Bulgarian and Russian one, still looking for the East German one as it is the most desired.
Now before I get flamed....... you can still pick one of these up at a pawn shop for 150 bucks and ammo can be purchased for under 7 bucks for a box of 50 (HP or FMJ) online. It is really hard to beat that for a 9mm weapon.
This firearm is my plinking gun and my concealed carry weapon.
Here is a picture of the Bulgarian one with original red star grip and with aftermarket Pierce grip (highly recommended)

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at four in the morning.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Well my brother really likes his Glock17.....but I will take my P14 Para-Ordnance.......14 rounds + 1 up the pipe.....of pure .45 hole punching power.............lol......also have a V10 ported ultra compact Springfield in .45acp.....wheel guns are usually more accurate though......gun choice depends on what you need and favorite caliber..................D
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Guys, thanks for all the advice...I made up a list of many of the guns mentioned and went to the gun shop. I'm lucky to have a great shop near Richmond, nice guys and huge inventory. I've learned from buying shotguns that eventually I'm just going to buy what I wanted in the first place, so I'm trying to go with that in mind. Also, I don't need anything "fancy", but I do believe in buying quality arms the first time.

I liked the SW 686 .357 with 4" barrel and Hogue grips, the Sig 226, the HK USP, the Beretta 92FS, and the Springfield XD40. I like large handled guns as you probably can tell. The Ruger 345, CZ75,and Browning Hi Power all felt too "small" for my likes. I really don't have big hands, but the larger grips just feel better. The HK was my clear favorite, but the price tag was a little steep for a first gun. Isn't that always the case?? The SIG felt very good as well, and my understanding is that it's a great gun. I'm finding these for $500 online factory reconditioned, I believe that's a good price?

I didn't remember to ask to see the Ruger GP100 or a Security Six, I'd like to try them as well. I'm going to the local indoor range to see exactly what they have for rentals, try them out as possible, and then make a decision. I'm leaning towards a semi, but I'm defintely looking at buying another gun in the future which would be a revolver.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:04 PM

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in