Who makes the best 9 in parts???? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Who makes the best 9 in parts????

Over the winter I will need to update my 9 inch in my f-100. I'm planning on using 35 spline axles, aftermarket center section, etc. Which center sections are the best or are they all about the same? Who's axles do I get? I was looking at strange and moser. I drive this truck on the street some so will a detroit locker take 700 hp? I don't really want to run a full spool on the street. I don't drive it much, fridays to work to pick up my check and to the race track about 30 miles one way.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:59 PM

I personally use Moser when he was alive he raced and used his own products and I respect that. and for that fact it is much more cost friendly and won't break your pocket book.

Randy
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure about the power levels a locker will take, but a lot depends on vehicle weight, tire size and gear ratio. I did have a 4.56 locker in the 514 Ranger, though. I removed that locker from the housing with the help of the shop vacuum cleaner. My feeling is that if you have 700 hp, big tires and lots of weight, I'd stay away from the locker.

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

We will have lots of weight about 4000 lbs, thats after a 300 lb diet. 27 tall tires. Starting at 3.50 gears and going up from there.

Thanks again,

Kyle
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 AM

Don't forget about

www.markwilliams.com

I have never used any of there stuff but it all looks nice.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 08:34 AM

I feel Mark Williams is to pricey and arrogant, Last time I called him he said he didn't have time for me I wasn't a big name pro racer so I hung up.

Randy
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 10:10 AM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Her is where I rate 9" manufacturers
1. Mark Williams - more expensive but I have never had any problems with their parts & services in 20 yrs of doing business with them.
2. Strange- if I couldn't have MW's then I would go Strange
3. Moser- Always been a little leery when a company sells way under other companies. But I know quite a few people using their stuff & like it.

Randy, I don't know who you talked to but I have always gotten excellent service from MW. Matter of fact , the third member in my car now is based off of recommendations that I got from Mark Williams himself.(all the techs were busy ) & I can say for a fact that I am not a " big name pro racer". I'm just an old Carolina country boy with champane tastes when it comes to race cars but who has to operate on a beer budget!! :lol: Anyway , I would recommend Strange but if you want the absolute lowest prices then Moser would be your best bet. Good luck...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 AM

I talked to Mark himself and before that I called a week earlier and I had a 1350 billit yoke for my glide and Third member and called to check about a drive shaft for my car and he told me that if I was going to be running someone elses product besides his I didn't need his drive shaft either. and that he will not pay contengency unless you have all his products.

The Reason I used Mosier axles and 9" parts is because I have talked to Greg Mosier before he died and when I went to the races.
He ran his Prostocker and ran his own product in his car. Greg said if he wanted someone to put their life on the line with his product then he would too just to show the public he was in for great quality products and not just to sell some parts.

I liked and respected that

Randy
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM

Anybody hear about Dutchman axles?

www.dutchmanms.com
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 PM
TopSportsman916

Randy, what you said was correct. MW doesn't pay contingency on driveshafts unless you have the MW driveshaft & transmission yokes also. It kind of sucks that they talked to you the way they did. They do make excellent products. I understand why you use Moser because it is the same reason I stay with MW's products. We like the way we were treated & they both provided us with what we wanted. I think if Klye goes with any of the three talked about, he will be fine.

Kyle, I do know that MW offers a 35 spline Detroit locker.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:16 PM

I have Moser 33 spline axles in my drag truck and have had no problems. I bought a complete 9" for my Boss's 1987 Monte Carlo SS and have had no problems with it either. The only thing I don't like about my Boss's 9" axle is the Dettroit Locker he had to have. It absolutely sucks on the street. It locks and unlocks everytime you get on the gas, off the gas, backup, or pull it in gear. It makes a loud clang when you put it in gear or back up and it causes the back of the car to feel very unstable while driving. Under racing conditions, it works great. Under normal driving conditions, everybody that has drove the car hates it. We plan to remove it and replace it with something else.

David

David Willingham
Advanced Motorsports Engineering
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:18 PM
dfree383

I have Strange Stuff in Both My Car (the ones that are running !!) Nice Stuff, No Problems, Prices are reasonable for the quality.

Need to watch alot of the Mark Williams parts have unique machining and are only compatable with his stuff. If you buy MW stuff alot of other manufactures parts won't swap.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383
I have Strange Stuff in Both My Car (the ones that are running !!) Nice Stuff, No Problems, Prices are reasonable for the quality.

Need to watch alot of the Mark Williams parts have unique machining and are only compatable with his stuff. If you buy MW stuff alot of other manufactures parts won't swap.
This is true! I've read about this before some where.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 03:57 PM

dfree

I agree alot of his stuff is MW friendly and you can't use any other stuff with it, he does that so you have to buy his stuff only. I forgot that point Thanks for bringing that up.

Randy
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Forum Contributor

MW

Some of MW's parts combinations are not interchangable and work as an
assembly because they are a superior design, not because they are
specifically trying to sell you more parts. I personally won't touch Strange,
their designs are not as strong as MW. I have used Moser, and can
recommend their stuff over Strange, but still, MW has the best quality
that I'm aware of. You get what you pay for with MW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in