460 Ford Forum banner

front suspension question?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  richter69 
#1 ·
I've got a stock suspension 89 notch strip car with all steel 460 c-6, my rear axle is built up with axles gears, and locker, everything else is stock and wore out. I'm on a budget so when I start upgrading I want to be sure I'm going in the right direction, drag springs and drag struts, of convert it to the adj. coil over struts. Does anyone have experiance with either of these? What springs work well with that bbf in the front, no one seems to sell a set for anything other than a 5.0!, and will the adj. coilovers hold all the weight? I want to keep the 28x10.5 on the rear I'm considering up grading the springs and arms but there are so many and I cant afford to buy if there is a better way to set it up for 1/4 mile thanks for any input.

#2 ·
The best option for the front struts are the Stange adjustables. For the coilovers a 175lb- 12 inch spring should work fine. If your on a real tight budget, you can box in the rear control arms and install polyurethane bushings.

I almost forgot to add, if you want aftermarket control arms then Wolfe Racecraft probably makes the best out there, but they are pricey.

#4 ·
I have Lakewood non adjustable 90/10 struts. 14" Hypercoil coilover springs 175 lbs. Its not the best set up for really fast cars however its will easily support a 10 second car and get you into the 9's. For the back suspension I would start with any boxed style control arm. Even the lower priced ones that have a poly bushing. Anything to get rid of the rubber bushings will help.

I am switching to adjustable Strange or QA1 front struts over the winter. I also have a set of HPM lowers for the back that I will sell cheap if your interested.

You will need to find out how much weight is on your front end and figure the appropiate front spring. I like the 14" springs that are a lighter weight. I believe it helps transfer more weight.

#5 ·
we have the QA1 struts with 14" 175# springs and it works really well. Also QA1 Adj shocks out back with Anti roll bar and UPR Adj upper and lowers. The rear setup may be for sale in the near future as a full tub is in the plans. The rear setup might have 15 passes on it. Best 60ft to date is a 1.43 but that was with the little 28-9-15 goodyears out back trying to stick for dear life!

G
#7 ·
we ran the lakewoods for years on our 306" fox hatch, work ok. Ran a set of the strange struts and they work damn good for the money, but go away after 150 or so passes. The best would be the Santhuf (sp), but get ready to spend some bucks.

G
#9 ·
Well Duffy had a good used set lying around his shop and said he'd give me the good buddy smokin' deal at 850.00. I want to say they are in the 1200 plus range. Granted our mid 10 fox does not need them, those low 7 high 6 sec monsters are his bread and butter. You should see the stuff lying around that place :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.