How do you race your car ? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you race your car ?

How do you race your car.

Dial soft ?

Run the number ?

Blip the top end ?

Stage first or second ?

What engine temp temp do you run your best at ?

2 hits at the bulbs ?

Practice tree at home ?

In general what makes you successfull at driving ?

Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
richter69

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
stage last, one hit, usually hold a hundredth or two, I have a good brake set up and drive the stripe pretty good so this works for me. I have a tree, use it every so oftem. Stage at about 170 water temp.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

From my GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No really, I try and keep the temps consistent all throughout the day, 180 or less. I always like to stage last, and I'll usually dial a little on the soft side. I like to run it out the back door.

I have tried to play the top end games but haven't been any good at it. partly because I always had the slower car......

Also, I'd rather chase than be chased.....

Me and my Dad used to race about twice a month about 10 years ago. We didn't have a logbook. Looking back on it now, if we did we would've been more successful. We used to just go by time of day, armpit temps, hot lapped or not, etc... for dialing in for the next round.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Let's see......

Dial-in /run the number.. Hard ,car is usually dialed-in within .01.
Blip the gas / on the brake.. Only after I see the other cars nose drop., or if I see I can't catch him. (98% of the time, I leave last).
Staging... depends on what they do...doesn't matter to me. Alot of guys like to stage first to put pressure on a piperack driver, so I'm use to staging last.
Usually only 1 hit on the tree..( with CrossTalk ) At a 1/4 mile race, I might take 2 hits
Engine temp between 160 and 170

Mike Stevens
Member of "The Band of Brothers"
2011 American Swingarm, 615" A Head
Engine built by Oakley MotorSports...
1.008,4.55 @ 153.06
Eliminator Products dealer
Thanks "Geez." RIP
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dial - Usually on or 0.01 slower than I think it will run. Try to run the number

Never lift top end unless they are waay behind. Drag the brake with the gas mashed. I figure if the dial is right, and I trust anything to slow it will keep me from breaking out.

Stage second. Give the guy time to screw-up. They could get on the converter before I fully stage (I count 5 before I stage in that case), or they could double-bulb courtesy staging and get pushed back. (hey - we are racing)

Temp depends but usually water 180F, trans 170F or so. I also look for consistent oil pressure at 1500 rpm (ie oil temperature).

Log book, Time burnout with a count-down for consistency, use consistent rpm for burnouts.

Slow up on the tree at dusk and after dark. I can compensate by dropping pressure in my skinnies.

Traction does weird things after dark, so know your car (Log book).

One other thing. When both cars are staged, pick a reference point on the other car. That way at the big end of the track if you are door handle to door handle, use the refernce point to see if you are actually ahead or behind.

Pay attention how quickly you or your oppenent get close. If you are dialed 0.02 faster than your opponent and you catch him at the 60 ft mark, in all likeleyhood you treed him and better let him take the stripe (not by much - see reference point) otherwise your glorious holeshot will go down in the flames of a break-out.

Faster cars, running tractors, and rain in TX - I can dream
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

UMMM..

If I catch my oppenent by 100 ft, and I didn't relight, I'm not about to let HIM take the stripe..

If you KNOW your car and dialed it right.. He screwed up on the tree and no way I'm gonna let him back around me for him to take the win..

Mike Stevens
Member of "The Band of Brothers"
2011 American Swingarm, 615" A Head
Engine built by Oakley MotorSports...
1.008,4.55 @ 153.06
Eliminator Products dealer
Thanks "Geez." RIP
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 PM

I always try to stage last. It doesn't bother me if I don't though.

I have no advice to offer other than this.

why would anyone waste a perfectly good race car on bracket racing?

you can put a delay box and transbrake in a 20 second turd and do the same thing.

Why not run a pro tree class? if not heads up then, at least index, you may STILL have a break out etc.. but at least it is more fun when you leave together.

I've heard all the arguments about it, it's nothing but dial in racing, you still have a break out yadda yadda..

you know it aint the same. try it if you don't believe me.

bracket racing is a dying form of racing and it's boring as hell no spectators. blah.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:42 PM
richter69

Quote:
why would anyone waste a perfectly good race car on bracket racing
because around here its wear your shyt out or blow it up to win 200 bucks, or have a good time and win 700, I'll take the 700. It takes a bit more skill to be a competative bracket racer than a number chaser, this is not meant as a slam, just the way I see it. Also word is from a guy that is around and works on about nothing other than the ultra quick heads up stuff stated that ex bracket racers make better drivers overall. Its boring to watch, I dont watch. The .90 classes with the t stops are the worst to spectate, but again the skill comes into play. To me watching some fool scrape the bumper, wreck the front end, hit the wall yadda yadda is a waste. We all have our thing.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM

i race at heads up style legal street races only usually track has these about twice a month gates open at 5 then at 10 they take tree away and use flash lights every pass we make is a minimum bet of 500 to a grand realy sucks if you have a bad night but i dont see any fun in brackets
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:38 PM
TopSportsman916

Dial soft ? No- I have confidence in my car especially since I switched to alky.

Run the number ? Yes-car is consistant

Blip the top end ? Sometimes but I don't get on the brakes hard. That's dangerous.

Stage first or second ? Don't care

What engine temp temp do you run your best at ? 150

2 hits at the bulbs ? No-just 1

Practice tree at home ? Yes - don't use it on a regular basis.

In general what makes you successfull at driving ? Getting lucky- I don't care how good a car you have or how good a driver you are, if you don't have luck, you aint going to win.

Now as far as bracket vs heads up vs index racing. First off I can't afford heads up-no breakout racing. There will always be someone who can throw more $$ at it than I can.

Index racing - I raced NHRA Super Gas & had a blast. I love a Pro tree. It basically is bracket racing but I found 2 things that make it a little bit harder. First is cutting a good light on a .4 pro tree. You have to have a damn good chassis set up. Second is playing the top end. In bracket racing you know if you will be chased or if you sre the chaser. In SG I would run 147 mph. The other cars I ran could be from 135 -170 mph. Plus you don't know if they have the throttle stop on early, or mid rack or top end.Makes judging the stripe a little harder.

Bracket racing - Best bang for your buck. Stay close to home,usually home the same night & I enjoy it just as much as index racing. Plus I am not slowing my car down.
So I would love to run heads up & I enjoy both index & bracket racing.So I guess different strokes for different folks...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSportsman916
Now as far as bracket vs heads up vs index racing. First off I can't afford heads up-no breakout racing. There will always be someone who can throw more $$ at it than I can.
You're right for the most part, BUT that is also true with bracket racing to a lesser degree. Ever enter a race where the Richardson's are entered? Like in Memphis at a 3 day $25K event? they are Pro's they enter 3-4 times with 2-3 cars and usually win at least one day if not two. Are they good? YES does money help? umm YES.

Plus there are venues of heads up with rules that allow you to run without breaking the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69
Quote:
why would anyone waste a perfectly good race car on bracket racing
because around here its wear your shyt out or blow it up to win 200 bucks, or have a good time and win 700, I'll take the 700. It takes a bit more skill to be a competative bracket racer than a number chaser, this is not meant as a slam, just the way I see it. Also word is from a guy that is around and works on about nothing other than the ultra quick heads up stuff stated that ex bracket racers make better drivers overall. Its boring to watch, I dont watch. The .90 classes with the t stops are the worst to spectate, but again the skill comes into play. To me watching some fool scrape the bumper, wreck the front end, hit the wall yadda yadda is a waste. We all have our thing.
actually they pay about the same around here.

I've done both so the "skill" argument ain't a good one.
You still have to cut a good light and know where your car runs, play finish line games, not break out. keep an eye on the lanes, watch the weather, temp .etc.. etc. so on and so forth.

also you dont have to scrap the bumper or wreck to race heads up or index racing. I guess it depends on who it is racing and the luck they are having that day. I had a wreck in 02 in a time trial, for bracket racing.
Ran into another guy's oil on the big end.
If you race long enough and often enough, you will too.

I am sure bracket racers are great drivers. As a rule. I also think that would come under broad sweeping statements. It would depend on what you measure "better" drivers as.

It's kind of like saying "truck drivers are the best over the road drivers"
while that may have some truth to it, it certainly doesn't mean they all are. There are some really good heads up drivers and index/class racers too. I would imagine your BEST drivers have dabbled in a little of all venues? possibly? :idea:

yes we all have our thing, brackets are better than staying home that is for sure. I sorta figured it might get someone stirred up, sorry. I didnt really mean to say "waste"..poor choice of words.

maybe it's just me but after 22 years of bracket racing and 4-5 years of index and heads up racing mixed in there with it.... I know which one I like better.

Try it maybe if we get more people interested the payouts will go up in your neighborhood.

Payouts are nice but we all know we don't race for the money.

its for the badonkadonk! :P
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:16 PM
richter69

sorry for the rant, fact is in Ok the tracks would all fold up if they relied only on the heads up crowd. They have a shootout race once a month along with the highschool deal and the carcount is lousy. They will have a big deal headsup race from an out of town sanctioning body and the numbers are good, but over half the cars show up for the bracket classes they run along with it. We won a sp race at one of those a couple years back and took home as much money as the big dog H.U. guy did and spent 150 bucks on fuel and entry and broke nothing in the process. Fact is around here the H.U. sucks, If it paid better and had more of it we might consider it, but for now this is the game. We have 2 tracks 45 min from here and there is a race every weekend for 10 months out of the year so we dont travel out of town. I used to hate everything about the bracket scene years back, but got tired of kicking the rods out our junk trying to win 200 bucks, was ridiculous. The local bracket guys keep the gates open, proven fact. It may not draw the spectators, but I dont do it for them. A 9 sec bracket car is way more fun than a turd toyota anyday.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSportsman916
Dial soft ? No- I have confidence in my car especially since I switched to alky.

Run the number ? Yes-car is consistant

Blip the top end ? Sometimes but I don't get on the brakes hard. That's dangerous.

Stage first or second ? Don't care

What engine temp temp do you run your best at ? 150

2 hits at the bulbs ? No-just 1

Practice tree at home ? Yes - don't use it on a regular basis.

In general what makes you successfull at driving ? Getting lucky- I don't care how good a car you have or how good a driver you are, if you don't have luck, you aint going to win.

Index racing - I raced NHRA Super Gas & had a blast. I love a Pro tree. It basically is bracket racing but I found 2 things that make it a little bit harder. First is cutting a good light on a .4 pro tree. You have to have a damn good chassis set up. Second is playing the top end. In bracket racing you know if you will be chased or if you sre the chaser. In SG I would run 147 mph. The other cars I ran could be from 135 -170 mph. Plus you don't know if they have the throttle stop on early, or mid rack or top end.Makes judging the stripe a little harder.

Bracket racing - Best bang for your buck. Stay close to home,usually home the same night & I enjoy it just as much as index racing. Plus I am not slowing my car down.
So I would love to run heads up & I enjoy both index & bracket racing.So I guess different strokes for different folks...

uhhh .......... i was gonna type a responce.. but i guess i have a TWIN somewhere over the internet.. cause i couldnt have said all that better myself. .............. and pretty much every single thing you said applies to me..
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 PM
TopSportsman916

Brad, are we brothers by different mothers??? :lol:
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:14 PM

Get used to your car,know weather changes,know the track,make yourself and your car as consistant as possible by doing everything the same every pass, in time trials and eliminations. Try to leave very close to the same temp. every run. I don't worry who stages first or last,I run footbrake class and usually spotting my comp. Concentrate on your light only. My car usually runs within .001 or.002 so i dial and usually run the #.If i cut a good light i will catch him or her before the trapps so i can lift and not have to worry about breaking out. If it wasn't for us bracket racers,there wouldnt be any money to pay or crowd to watch the heads up cars.

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in