street legal drag slicks - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

street legal drag slicks

I have a 460 Ford F250 with a bottle, that can turn a 13 second flat in the 1/4 on street tires, 305x50x16 ( lots of tire spinning ) and was wondering what improvment in my time I might expect if I switched to street legal drag radials of the same size, I have to use the same rims and tires on the street to get to work. here in Vegas the strip opens up Friday night's for a midnight maddness and it's a lot of fun knocking street cars off with a pick up truck. thanks for your reply Neal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM

that can be hard to say depending how bad your spinning and if you hook hard is it then going to bog you have to just try it and see
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Well...

There's no question you can get a street legal tire that sticks. I've seen some of the 10" drag radial cars stand straight up on the back tires. But, the real point is how badly are you slipping and how much additional power would you/could you transfer if you werent?

Often times tire slip helps acceleration. How? It acts like a high stall torque converter getting you up into your power band...while at the same time the tire heat changes the traction coefficient making it stick better. Sometimes those two things come together at just the right time actually helping you get down the track. It all depends on what your truck is doing exactly.

Borrow some...surely someone at the track has a set of slicks with the same bolt pattern you can make a pass on...make some friends. If you don't have time for that, offer then 50 bucks for a single roll-around the water-box, no burnoff pass prior to making your expensive drag radial purchase. That'll answer the question better than anything else.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM

Not sure how many 8 lug rims with drag slicks there are going to be at the track? :lol: Had to give ya a hard time!!!!! :roll:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply's but I'm looking for someone that has run both street tires and cheater slicks on the same car at the strip, tell me your times for both way's. my street tires were still smoking at the 1/2 way mark so I'm not worryed about bogging down, if I do I'll just put a larger jet in the spray, thanks again for your responces I enjoy all the posts
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:43 AM

I used the Mickey Thompson drag radials on my stang. I was spinning badly. I went from a 13.7 on street tires to a 13.0 on drag radials. Good tires but wore away fast, driving on the street, 300 miles and they were junk.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_stang
I used the Mickey Thompson drag radials on my stang. I was spinning badly. I went from a 13.7 on street tires to a 13.0 on drag radials. Good tires but wore away fast, driving on the street, 300 miles and they were junk.
This was what I was looking for in an answer, thanks, what I was hoping was you could get 10,000 miles on the street and still knock off a 1/2 second at the track but it doesn't look like that's true thanks again
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:47 AM

No problem, hope I helped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in