2000 Ford Tauras problems (Any techs out there?) - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2000 Ford Tauras problems (Any techs out there?)

It started 1-2 years ago when we took the car on vacation to Bowling Green, Ky. Before we left I checked over the car and changed the oil. Well during out driving around up in Ky we noticed it was leaking some coolant. So I pop the hood and notice that all the coolant it the reservoir was a tan/ brown color. So we take it to the ford dealership there in BG and they say it was just a cracked over flow tank, and then charge us with a bunch of other un-needed stuff.

Any, we made it home and over the past 1-2 years I have noticed that I can smell coolant. None is leaking on the ground nor does the exhaust smell sweet and the car runs fine for a 130,000 mile car. (well, maybe ever so often a little on the carport. more condensation from the ac than coolant if that is what it is)

Last night the check engine light comes on. So I pop the hood and notice that there is no water in the reservoir. (check the oil and everything else I can think of.) It only takes about 3/4 of a gal to fill it back up. The coolant hasn't been as dirty looking as it was that one time put something is going on. I am going to take off from work this evening and take it to the dealership and have them check the code the see what the problem might be.

Anyone techs out there that might can give me an idea of what is going on? When I cam back from Ky that time I had them replace all the coolant and check for leaks. They said they couldn't find anything.

I have been keeping an eye on the coolant and change the oil every 3,000 miles. So it's not something that has happaned over a long period of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ranger50 Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger50
3.0 or 3.8?

Sounds like a leaky head gasket/cracked head/water pump and or WP gasket to me on the surface.

Brian

Never trust an intelligent man with no money to play fair.

1995 Dodge Dakota... Just a LOW daily driver....
1997 F250 PSD -- It's broke, it is a Ford afterall.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Could it be a heater core leak? You would smell it but until it got real bad I am not sure you could feel it in the carpet. Just a question - no real knowledge.

G. Allen Pearson

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger50
3.0 or 3.8?

Sounds like a leaky head gasket/cracked head/water pump and or WP gasket to me on the surface.

Brian
3.0 (12 valve)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmwgn
Could it be a heater core leak? You would smell it but until it got real bad I am not sure you could feel it in the carpet. Just a question - no real knowledge.
I haven't noticed any dampness inside the car. Every so often there will be a puddle about the size of a coke can on the carport floor. But you can smell antifreeze outside of the car after it has been turned off.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM

I agree with Ranger50. Keep cloese eye on temp.Hope its something simple.But if luck runs like mine! lol Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Well I took it down to get the code read.It was a sensor on top of the engine.

code: po401 (DPFE sensor)

Cost me 112.47 parts & 97.50 labor for a grand total of $226.91

I aske why the labor was so high since the part is on top of the engine. he said they charge $65 to read the code! (I have got to get me a code scanner)

Anyway, they couldn't test for a coolant leak because it was raining today and it would have been crazy. (Which I don't blame them!) So i am just going to watch the level.

I checked it this evening and noticed the coolant was all most black in color with a green tint. It hasn't been all that long since I had it changed.

Ps. I just let the dealership service this car because it's to compact of an engine compartment and I'd rather pay someone else than work on that darn thing myself! But I still like to help solve the problem.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ranger50 Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger50
Actually it isn't really that bad to work on motor parts on a FWD. You just have to be a bit "clever" to get to everything.

The dealership should have put in some dye, filled the tank up and let you drive it a bit then come back in to use a UV light on it to find the problem. HEY! YOU could do that. There are a couple ways to find out what the problem is without breaking the bank or continuously going back in for "repair work".

Never trust an intelligent man with no money to play fair.

1995 Dodge Dakota... Just a LOW daily driver....
1997 F250 PSD -- It's broke, it is a Ford afterall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in