Winch Size - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Winch Size

How big of electric winch do I need to load a 4000 lb vehicle onto a car trailer? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM

I have a 2500 warn on my rollback and it drags my 3900 lb wagon up on it just fine. I don't use it every weekend so I don't know if constant use would warrent a larger winch.

G. Allen Pearson
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
winching stuff

I have a warn 2500 that I have used for over 5 years. It gets used a lot, probably loaded at least 200 different vehicles in that time, most of which didn't have air in at least one tire, some without an axle... or 2. I would consider it the minimum, if you know the vehicle is going to need it on occasion. I originally bought it for use with a 72 Bronco and related non-functioning parts vehicles. It would drag my bronco onto the trailer with all 4 tires flat, easily.

I would recommend staying away from the Walmart, Checker Auto and Harbor Freight versions that attach to a trailer hitch ball. I have seen several of them fail before the first rolling vehicle was loaded on a trailer.

50 ft cable is nice to have, to help keep several wraps on the spool to make cables last longer, and gives a little more reach into alleys or back yards. Mine has a small crimped loop that attaches with a 1/4" screw, and has failed both times (5500#+ Dodge truck) I did not leave 5-6 tight wraps on the spool...like you are supposed to.

Mine is not as fast as my brothers 8000# warn, but it is easier to control the speed when things get close to rubbing or scraping. A snatch block can be used to slow it down, and also increase capacity.

Mine is mounted to a plate with a receiver tube, so I can use it in any 2" trailer receiver, front or back of the vehicle, and store it locked away, out of sight. Makes it easy to chain to a post or other anchor away from the trailer also.

Buy a good quality, Warn, Ramsey, etc 2500 or better and you will be good to go for weekly use for several years.

Tom

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 AM

I have tried several and I would not go any less than the Warn or Ramsey 8000, just for the fact that YES the smaller one will work but SLOW and they get really warm when laboring. now I have an 8000 and fast and work great, You can even drag a vehicle on the trailer with all 4 tires flat.

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in