Drag race shock suggestion. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Drag race shock suggestion.

I am wanting some 90/10 drag shocks for the front of my 79 F150. I have been eyeing the Lakewood shocks. But if anyone might know another shock that might fit, please let me know!
Nothing matches perfect. It looks like I will have to go with a little shorter shock. It will be with-in ride height but not as long as the factory shock. I have tried talking to the companies but they won't suggest anything since they don't have my truck in their catalog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 PM

if i was you i would fab up some mounts for any common 90/10s find the specs and fit ones that have a long travel 68 to 72 chevy chevelles are long travel
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM

Shocks

I run Lakewoods on the front of my 70 Torino and adjustable CE's on the rear.
Do I like them?
I thought that they would work better than they did. They do work better than stock shocks but you get what you pay for. There some good expensive shocks that will work better and adjustable as well. My Lakewoods fit my Torino well. I wouldnt use a shock that did not fit.
I hear good things about the Rancho 9000 which is adjustable and probably fits your truck. The Rancho's are not expensive or cheap.

Dave

69 Mustang ProStreet 580 E85
9.0 @ 148

70 Torino 521
[email protected]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM

Try Rancho

My vote goes for the Rancho RS9000 shocks also. I went thru the same search for my '78 mud drag truck. I recently purchased a set for my truck after others had advised me of them. I like their adjustability, however I am awaiting for my local track to open to actually see how they work. I had also seen on another forum where a drag racer had put a set on his dragcar with CalTracks and had success with them.

www.gorancho.com

Pruducts.......then catalog for your application, PDF

It will be slow for dial-up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:48 AM

If you are looking to improve weight transfer front to rear the longer the front suspension stroke the better. The shock needs to be loose on extension then tighter on compression hence the 90/10 phenomenon. On a serious race car you would find double adjustable expensive shocks with nitrogen and other fun stuff. For a street car the 90/10 is a liveable option. You should also consider a softer taller spring as well. On cars we look for the six cylinder spring and then shim it to get the ride height back. Not sure about the trucks. I assume a small six would be the lightest motor available in your truck. The springs would probably be lighter than ones that came with a V8.

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
289 4 spd 68 Mustang Fastback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in