Quieter mufflers - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quieter mufflers

I have straight dual 3 inch exhaust on my truck with 2 chamber Flowmasters with dumps. It is pretty loud inside and out. I am getting new exhaust done with an X-pipe and was wondering what kind of mufflers I could use to quiet this thing up some. I was thinking of 3 chamber Flowmasters but was wondering what the people on here thought. It is driven regulary on the street but not a daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is my opinion that exhaust is a personal thing and for me as I have grown older I seem to like things quieter. I had a 3" exhaust with an "X" pipe on my wagon. I started with 3 chamber flowmaster (the biggest RV ones) and it was WAY too loud. So I took those off and installed the largest Dynomax SuperTurbos. Better - not as much resonance but still pretty loud. Good side - can't hear the wife talking to me when we are cruising - bad side - can't hear my music without it cranked to the max. So I removed the "X" pipe and installed a pair of Borla's XR-1 shorties as resonators and put an "H" pipe on it. Now it is quite (4 mufflers and an "H" pipe) - maybe a little too quite ops: I might remove the SuperTurbos and try some of the DynoMax UltraFlows.

Others have tried the UltraFlows and really liked them

G. Allen Pearson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 PM

just adding full tail pipes will reduce a lot of sound when compared to dumps. Are you sure you need 3" pipe? Reducing the pipe dia will raise the pitch of the exhaust note and increase the amount of absorbtion in the muffler. If you have a mild 466, dual 2.5 w/ an x-pipe should be plenty.
Flowmasters always seem to have a resonance that can be overwhelming. Ive had good luck with the Magnaflos. They are still loud under throttle, but suprisingly quiet at idle, especially considering their straight through design.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:06 PM

oops...i just read that you spray it. Maybe not decrease pipe dia. Depends on how much you like the spray vs. how much you hate the noise :lol:
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 AM

I agree, mufflers and sound is very subjective, I personally don't care for Flowmasters, too much drone for my taste. I've been most impressed with the Hooker Aerochambers, Magnaflow and Borla XR-1's, I'll use one of those 3 on the car I'm building.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had 1 3" Big Block series three chamber Flowmaster on my Suburban and it was loud with a stock engine. Go away from the Flowmaster.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in