My nephew needs help with a Ford stats math problem - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My nephew needs help with a Ford stats math problem

This is a bit unusual, but bear with me, it's for a good cause.
My nephew Dee is a very bright high school junior and he needs a little help from you the motley assortment of ford owners out there.

Read on:

Hi
I am a high school student here in Utah, a junior at Layton HS. I am currently taking an AP math course, and I have a statistical math project that I need to complete. I need to create a statistical problem that I can solve on paper and then prove my solution in the real world.
My uncle is Dane V from Ford Auto Wrecking. (He let me use his account)
and he suggested this problem:

If a key and lock maker makes a lock that takes a key that has 5 tumblers in it and there are 5 different sizes of tumbler pins;

How many unique key and lock combinations are made?

This is subject to a couple rules:
1. the lock will NOT have 5 tumblers of the same size or have 4 of the same size
2. the lock can have 3 tumblers of the same size if the other two are each different sized.

I guess this is how Ford locks and keys of the 60-70s cars are made,

The second part is:

If a collector, collects 100 keys and 100 locks from random sources how many matches of keys to locks will he have?

I can solve this problem with math, but I also need to show if my answer is right, and I can do that I think to the second part.

My uncle gave me a box of locks and keys from various fords he has in his yard.
So far I have about 75 various locks, ignition doors trunks and I have about 40 keys.

I need more keys to be able to prove the second parts of the problem Thatís why I thought I would post on this board, and ask for some.
Since you all are ford owners I thought that maybe you could sell me an extra key or two, maybe to a car you don't have anymore and the keys are just sitting in a junk drawer
I am looking for the double sided 60-70's era Ford keys either trunk or ignition.
I have about 25 ignition keys and 15 trunk keys.

I'll pay you back for the postage and the key, maybe $1 per key?
If you can send me a few keys and include your email address I'll paypal you back $1 for each one. If the payment is $1 then paypal won't take money out as a service fee.
Is that fair?

Let me know if you can help I'll sure appreciate it

Deardon S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: My nephew needs help with a Ford stats math problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by danev2
This is a bit unusual, but bear with me, it's for a good cause.
My nephew Dee is a very bright high school junior and he needs a little help from you the motley assortment of ford owners out there.

Read on:

Hi
I am a high school student here in Utah, a junior at Layton HS. I am currently taking an AP math course, and I have a statistical math project that I need to complete. I need to create a statistical problem that I can solve on paper and then prove my solution in the real world.
My uncle is Dane V from Ford Auto Wrecking. (He let me use his account)
and he suggested this problem:

If a key and lock maker makes a lock that takes a key that has 5 tumblers in it and there are 5 different sizes of tumbler pins;

How many unique key and lock combinations are made?15,625?

This is subject to a couple rules:
1. the lock will NOT have 5 tumblers of the same size or have 4 of the same size
2. the lock can have 3 tumblers of the same size if the other two are each different sized.

I guess this is how Ford locks and keys of the 60-70s cars are made,

The second part is:

If a collector, collects 100 keys and 100 locks from random sources how many matches of keys to locks will he have?

I can solve this problem with math, but I also need to show if my answer is right, and I can do that I think to the second part.

My uncle gave me a box of locks and keys from various fords he has in his yard.
So far I have about 75 various locks, ignition doors trunks and I have about 40 keys.

I need more keys to be able to prove the second parts of the problem Thatís why I thought I would post on this board, and ask for some.
Since you all are ford owners I thought that maybe you could sell me an extra key or two, maybe to a car you don't have anymore and the keys are just sitting in a junk drawer
I am looking for the double sided 60-70's era Ford keys either trunk or ignition.
I have about 25 ignition keys and 15 trunk keys.

I'll pay you back for the postage and the key, maybe $1 per key?
If you can send me a few keys and include your email address I'll paypal you back $1 for each one. If the payment is $1 then paypal won't take money out as a service fee.
Is that fair?

Let me know if you can help I'll sure appreciate it

Deardon S.
I'll work on the other two? :lol: Tell me if I am wrong on the first one!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm not sure if this will help you but you may want to give PYCL (Performance Years Classic Locks) a call. (215) 712-7400 They're a department of the 'Performance Years Pontiac' company that handles an entire line of domestic locks and keys for the 50's through 80's vehicles. I purchased a great quality lock and key set for my '78 Ford Bronco from them (every lock fit perfect).
http://www.performanceyears.com/news....htm#what_PYCL

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in