4:1 kit for NP 205 transfer case??? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Greenbroncoguy
4:1 kit for NP 205 transfer case???

I was reading in one if the offroad magazines a few weeks ago, and it ran a story on a new 4:1 low range kit to put in a stock case NP 205. I was wondering if anyone out there read the article or knew anything about it. Maybe even which company made it???

Desparatley need it, as I can not run 2 transfer cases due to weight.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 08:26 PM

i chased this mythical beast for two years and finally decided that it isn't to be. There is currently a 3:1 "gear" set out there, i can't think of the name right now, something like Low MAX. But the deal was they had to use a new case to fit the gears. if i remember right it was around $2k. once i seen this i realized that i may as well go with a doubler, it was cheaper. however i am running a 79 f250 with a 103" wheel base and bobbed rear so i have a little room (probably should have made the wheel base more like 110 though.

Also, once i stripped down an NP205 unit for rebuild i realized what these designers are up against. It's just wall to wall gears in there.

since you can't go with a doubler and it sounds like you are fairly light, you can probably use an Atlas. i don't know what the 4:1 two speeds units cost but they are certainly strong enough for a jeep/buggy rig. But for pure strength, IMO there is no beating an NP205.

i know this is of no help but i think the new bigger case is the only way this is going to happen. One other option you may have is the Dana 300. This is sort of like the little brother to the 205. I run my ford with some pretty good size jeeps and they ABUSE these cases all day long. i would't use one in my 6200 lb rig but some of these guys weigh in around 4000 lb. i think there are more possibilities ,gearing wise, for the Dana and you can still twin stick them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Greenbroncoguy
I did some digging lat night while I was at work, as I will be doing again tonight. It was indeed the LOWMAX kit for the NP205, and it was only 3:1. I found a thing called "The Black Box" that can be mounted in between my C6 and the NP205, in place of the stock Dana plate and it has a 2.96:1 ratio in low, and is 1:1 in high. So if I use that in low, then put my 205 in low, I believe that would give me a 5.86:1 low range to my axles, after the tranny...

I will not use any other stock transfer case than a NP 205, they are all that will hold up w/ big block, big pullin tires, setup suspension, and sled pulling. We are even having guys ringing the input shaft off of the 205's, so I am definatley not going with anything less-stout.

How do they Atlas transfercases hold up compared to the 205's? I have heard good things about them, and I believe you can get them w/ a 5:1 low range. I think they have aluminum cases, so I just dop not know how they would hold up...

-Matt

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Atlas

atlas has a few different cases out, and while the gears are comparable to a 205 the case is indeed aluminum. Its hard to find someone associated with atlas come out and say they are not for full size heavy rigs, but i don' think they are. i gues my proof is all the shows that build trail rigs jump on the atlas wagon for buggies, jeeps, and light broncos. But when they build full size rigs they always go with the 205/203 doubler.

I have seen people that upgrade this input shaft if you need this later.

i have also seen people that make their own chain/sprocket steel plate transfer cases. These are not for highway use, but they hold up to high HP huge tires and deep mud. But this is all steel construction, much much heavier than OEM chain cases.

i believe the Low MAX kit did make a few upgrades in strengh while they were at it, one of which was the input shaft.

Some other possibilities are they make a lower gear set for a C6. i will have to check with a guy at work for the name of this.

You could always go with two speed rear ends. People take a rear end and turn it into a front end all the time. Of course there are no kits for this and it will take alot of work.

since i don't know what you are working with and rules and money limitations these suggestions may be way off the mark, but maybe not.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to moparman
if you use the 3:1 conversion with the kit that uses the 203 low range, you'll get 6:1 low range. The current kit that uses the low range box from the 203 isn't much thicker than the adapter used to hook the transfer case to the tranny. The Atlas is not as strong as the 205, go to this website, I believe that they have some info on this.
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/index1.html
and this one.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

Bumblebee tuna...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Here's something I'm not sure of though, you may need to run a front axle with a passenger side pumpkin as I don't know if the 3:1 kit is designed with driver's side front output

Bumblebee tuna...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:33 PM

the low max kits are only made for chevys and dodges with the pass side drop and they dont make a 31 spline ford input

Truck Pulls are the best place for the BBF

84 F250 Street Stock
CJ headed 466
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:46 PM

Sounds like the only choice would then be to run the doubler kit. I don't think this would add much weight. Or run a pass side front diff with the 3:1 and the doubler, but that might be overkill.

Bumblebee tuna...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You're going to laugh but, in pulling the chain driven 208 will stand up better than than the 205. The 205 has weak output shafts and are prone to selfdestruction at other parts of the output shaft do to the angle cut gears trying to force thereselves apart.

There is ProFab 205 kits out there that will make the 205 "almost" bullet proof, still making it a 1.96 ratio but eliminates the 1 to 1 gear.

Bret

Pullin For Christ
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 AM

Brett, I can see why that would be. I think that the 3:1 kit probably fixes all those problems, but you're still stuck with switching the front to a pass side housing. I really don't have a problem with the 203 t-case either, they are also plenty strong, just a pain to have to tear apart and rebuild. It's kinda funny, it's much more complex than a 205, yet you can buy one for 25 bucks in the right places.

Bumblebee tuna...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in