CEO's, I don't understand their thoughts - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

CEO's, I don't understand their thoughts

Quote:
But while demand (and production) dropped, Ford's expenses didn't.

In spite of record losses at the U.S. automaker, CEO Alan Mulally is considering handing out raises to managers.

The company ended up with many truck factories that were doing nothing in the fourth quarter, while union workers were still being paid.

Ford, in response, offered all 75,000 of its factory workers buyouts or enhanced retirement packages to entice them to leave; 38,000 workers took the deal.

This was the first quarter for new CEO Alan Mulally, who took the reins on Oct. 1, after family scion Bill Ford stepped down from the job. Mulally, who came from Boeing, has been trying to resuscitate the automaker with more job cuts and plant closings.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...tEverLoss.aspx

Mulally and Stonesifer (both are gone now) did the same thing when they was here at Boeing, giving the managers raises while they was shoving us out the door, laying us off. I don't understand their thinking, they make their money building and selling cars or planes, but, the first thing they do is lay off the people that are making and building the product that their money comes from????

A prime example of mis-management is in my building at Boeing right now, they decided to shut down my building 6-7 years ago, so they quit buying extra parts for the machines years ago and was only band-aided them together, but now they have figured out they can't do without this building so they need to keep it open until at least 2015, but everything is run down and cobbled together. They need the machines running now and the shop doesn't want to give up them to properly fix them, and if they did give them up, we don't have all the parts we need since they let the inventory of spare parts diminish. In fact for a few years, they shut down 2 of the 12 skin mills, and were taking parts off them to keep the others running. Now they are trying to decide if they need to bring those 2 out of mothball to keep up with production. These are older machines, and now when they odered parts for them the lead time for the parts are "months" out, since the supplier has to make them. So, we need extra mechanics and parts to fix them and are not getting them, but in a crew meeting on Friday we were informed that they are going to convert some office space in our building over to put in a Massage Parlor here at work, they call it a "Muscle Relaxing Program" or something like that. They said they have it at other Boeing plants and it is working great. It is to help us to relax and feel better and learn how to stretch our muscles properly. Of course our first question was, how much is this costing Boeing, and how is this "Massage Parlor" suppose to help get parts and keep the machines running to make the parts to build the planes that the company sells to make a profit? All we got from our manager was one of those "Deer in the headlights look".

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well Rick, that's what happens when people who DO NOT work their way up from the bottom get put in positions like this.........

It sucks in the sense that it only hurts the working guys and richens the upper level managers...... Only thing I can say is if enough people quit they might get the point. But they probably won't, just make an excuse for it.......

Corporate philosophy is world's apart from the real world, working man's philosophy.... I've been there before. Lost that job due to fiscal restructuring and never looked back. They were more concerned with me doing paperwork than me being in the field fixing equipment and making customers happy. I'd get one day late on paperwork because of jobs backing up and they would complain. I finally told my boss to shove it, I'm making money, you'll get the paperwork when I get to it........ They didn't understand the working world, just the paper pushing aspect of it......

Only thing one can do is pull a Jerry McGuire..........

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Wreckless4thf
Has anyone else noticed the more educated people get, the more that common sense goes out the door. It is the same way in my business these people really are so smart they have became stupid!!! :lol:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...Signature2.jpg
Allan Jones
1985 Hatch
602BBF, Spray, and 10" tires

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 PM

Roger that.

Here's something that has been around a while but seems more true every year.

Once upon a time, a Regional Bell Operating Company and an Asian rice
cooperative decided to have a competitive boat race. Both teams practiced
hard and long to reach their peak performance and on the big day, both
felt they were as ready as they could ever be.

The rice farmers won by a mile.

Afterwards, the RBOC team, discouraged by the loss, had to combat sagging
morale so corporate management decided the reason for the humiliating
defeat had to be found. A continuing "measurable improvement" team was set
up to investigate the problem and to recommend appropriate corrective
action.

They concluded the problem was: The Asians had eight people rowing and
one person steering. The RBOC's team had one person rowing and eight
steering. The RBOC team promptly hired a consulting firm to do a study and
find a solution. After some months and millions of dollars, the consulting
firm concluded that too many people were steering and not enough rowing.

To prevent a future loss, the team's management structure was revised to
four steering managers, three area steering managers, and one staff
steering manager. An incentive program was initiated to improve the
rower's performance. "In order to get him to work harder, we must give him
empowerment and enrichment" said the corporate managers.

The next race, the RBOC team lost by two miles.

Humiliated, the RBOC laid off the rower for poor performance, sold all the
paddles, canceled all capital investment for new equipment, halted
development of a new canoe, gave a high performance award to the
consulting firm, and distributed the money saved by the program reduction
as bonuses to the senior executives.

Just insert your favourite company name in the first line and enjoy

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
289 4 spd 68 Mustang Fastback
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Excellent bosshoss....

The last place I worked at was a rather small mom/pop type place that had been around in the offshore industry for about 30 or so years. Right at the end he brought in some consultants to tell him exactly what his employees and managers had been telling him all along...... Sad part is even then he disagreed with the consultants sometimes.......

Some people are just dead set on running things their way, even if their way is running it into the ground....

Some people can't see the forest for the trees......... I'm glad I left!

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in