No More Holley "Blues", Hello Magnafuel Pro-Star - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
No More Holley "Blues", Hello Magnafuel Pro-Star

Holley blue pump that is. :lol: I finally had the time to pull out my old fuel system, and install the Magnafuel Pro-Star 500 pump and new fuel line. I didn't finish the job yet, because I need a couple 90* -10 fittings for the regulator/secondary filter plumbing. Here's a couple shots from the past two days. Luckily it was around 30* outside, because I didn't want to stink up the garage with all the gasoline fumes. :lol: I finished up yesterday, just as it was starting to snow. 8)

Here's the old system I had with a few 460's, and my latest 472. Thanks to some members chiming in on my 521 build, this system would starve my 521. I've been babying my new engine for 300+ miles now, so after I finish, I can start running it like it was meant to do. :twisted:

Here's a quick way to drain the fuel cell. I hot wired my relay, and was able to turn the battery switch on the bumper on/off.

I haven't touched this system in years and thousands of miles. I did replaced the Fram fuel filter before my 521 break in, and that's it. Alot of street miles here, summer and winter, and the Holley blue worked great for me. It's going to go into my Dad's 63/302 Falcon after a cleanup.

Old stuff is out...

I installed the Magnafuel pump on the same bracket as the Holley pump, and centered it behind the rear housing for protection. It sits lower than the bulkhead fitting, so I should have good feed to the pump. I installed a -12 AN bulkhead fitting, added an -08 to the unused, and took that one I took out, for the pump return fitting on top of the tank. I ran -12 line to a Magnafuel filter, and -12 to the pump suction. I ran -10 out of the pump to the front of the car to the regulator, and -08 dual lines will go to the carb.

I secured the pump from the top and bottom, using the rubber insulated Magnafuel pump mount up top, and adding some steel and Polygraphite sway bar bushings on the bottom. I had some extras from my recent front end replacement. It's bolted to the 1x1 square tubing frame I made awhile ago for the fuel cell mounting. It's very solid!

Here's my little helper David. My nephew loves to help work on the car when he can. He's got the righty tighty lefty loosy down pretty good. :lol:

Here's a final shot of the back end. Looking at these pictures, tells me to wire wheel some of that mess and repaint, before it gets worse. :shock: I'm not much into the show and shine as you can tell, and I hate any kind of body work. ops:

I'll post back after I mount the regulator and finish the plumbing. Stay tuned........

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Looks great! The last POS Holley Blue I owned went flying across a parking lot at a boating event, after which point a well respected racer said to me, "Holley Blues are fine. Afterall, they only need to work for 1320 feet, but just be sure to have spares in your tool box."

I went with an Aeromotive and never looked back.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:30 AM

The pump and setup looks great!
I was looking at their QuickStar 300 kit for my ride.

'68 Galaxie XL 500 Fastback - 514 Motor Build in process, TFS Streets and intake ported by RHP, XR292R Cam

'02 Harley Davidson Edition F150 Supercrew
Built 5.4 Motor with 2.6 H Kenne Bell Supercharger

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Forum Contributor

As usual, that is looking good Pat. 8)

David,

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

1977 F-150 4X4 SWB
Mud/Dirt drags.
460 + ?
4.5 Bore X ?

and who cares,
if your winning your cheating, just ask the
bowtie guys
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:24 AM

excellent choice! welcome to the enlightened world.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Paul, that was great! I bet you sent it on it's 2nd 1320' ride... :lol: I guess I lucked out with mine.

Thanks guys! I found this deal on ebay, so it saved me alot of money. I got everything here for $515. Slightly used pump, new regulator, 20' of -10 line, 6' of -08 line, a bunch of hose ends for both, Magnafuel fittings for the regulator, etc... I know it's overkill for what I have now, but you never know what the future holds, so I won't have to re-think fuel again. :lol: I just had to buy 6' of -12 line, -12 bulkhead fitting and hose ends. I can't wait to finish it.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM

Looks great Pat. When's my first ride?(LOL)! Drop me an email, and we can discuss the BBF get together for us Jersey guys. (All are welcome). We will try to work around your schedule. Later>

Big Hurt
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:29 PM

Pat, nice install. Like you said...should be adequate for future build-ups

Rick S.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Pat,

Looks real good! You won't have to worry about fuel issues anytime soon!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM

you didnt have to buy the new fuel pump ,you could continue with the holley blue pump and just keep that gas can and your nephew with you at all times then when pump dies as all holleys do set kid on fender with can of gas dumping down carb til you get back home and fix holley one more time, see i could have saved you a bunch of money!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder70
you didnt have to buy the new fuel pump ,you could continue with the holley blue pump and just keep that gas can and your nephew with you at all times then when pump dies as all holleys do set kid on fender with can of gas dumping down carb til you get back home and fix holley one more time, see i could have saved you a bunch of money!!
:lol: :lol: :P :mrgreen: I think that I'm influencing others to be smart A$$e$ :P

Good idea

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

No Spyder, the little guy has to go to school, so I can't count on him. On the long trips, I install the luggage rack, and keep the gas can up there, and run a hose through the teardrop scoop opening and gravity feed it. Clark Griswald would be proud of me. :lol:

My 90* -10 fittings will be here today, so I'm going to finish it tomorrow before I go in for the midnight shift. 8)

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

I finished my Magnafuel Fuel System in the Fairlane yesterday. It's the first time I really let her go since the new 521 was finished. Man, she pulls like a freight train. :shock:

I relocated the coil to the other side, under the MSD box, but I actually didn't have to. I spent more time trying to figure out where I was going to put everything, then the job itself. :lol: That big Magnafuel fuel filter just before the regulator, is what took me the longest to see where it was going to go. I had a new MSD coil bracket, insulated with some foam tape, and used a -10 coupler to connect it to the regulator. I have a -10 bulkhead fitting to pass it through the inner fender. Another thing I did was adjust my fuel bowls. Man what a difference. I rebuilt the carb while building the engine, took everything apart, and I guess getting lost in the shuffle, was checking the fuel bowl level. It was running VERY rich, and shaking quite a bit at idle. Long story short, I checked the sight glass and it was full! I turned it down a total of a turn and a half at both bowls, and now it's perfect. My vacuum went up from 6 to 10 inches at idle, and it really smoothed out the engine. It's also not as rich at idle, and it doesn't have "that fuel smell" in the air while idling. :lol: The throttle cracks even better than it did before, and I'll check the plugs today after a hard run yesterday. :twisted: It's easy to miss the simple things.

I'm going to give it a few more miles under it's belt, and then take it to a test and tune night at Raceway Park in Englishtown, before the Kentucky trip. I hope they throw me off the track and tell me I need a roll bar. 8)

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 AM

nice job man...looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in