Who watched Pinks! last night, April 4? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Who watched Pinks! last night, April 4?

There was a older Falcon with a 460 that got beat 3 out of 3 by a 260Z.I found this on another board, it has the behind the scenes story:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odx4WPzjpVs

Okay guys, so here is the scoop on what happened....

We went there as the 1 QUICK Z team wanting to be as professional as we could and look as good as we could whether we won or lost. We tested two weekends in a row vigorously to get all the bugs ironed out before going.

First of all when we agreed to run on Pinks- our contract was to bring a car no faster then 10.50 et (quarter mile) on motor. We got to Richmond, each competitor had to make a test pass to make sure we didn't run faster than 10.50 on motor. I went out and made an all out 1/4 mile test pass with a 10.85 et at 125.26 mph. The Falcon ran a 10.61 et at only 106 mph, letting out way early as the mph tells you. For our first negotiation on our first run, we knew he was faster than we were on motor that is why we opted for nitrous and gave him four car lengths and had him unplug his nitrous. We only ran the 200 hp plate sytem on that run and ran all the way down the track until we caught him and ran the rest of the way on motor and beat him by 3 1/2 car lengths. On the second run, we got pushed into motor to motor only. We wanted car lengths because we knew he was faster than we were but Rich pushed us into motor to motor and no car lengths and Shean was faster than us and should have beat us on this run. Shean's car has a transbrake and launched real hard. We were footbraking on motor and nitrous and footbraking on motor the car does not respond real good. Shean got me off the line on motor to motor and we were running him down on the big end and were catching him but he let off right at the finish line and we beat him by six inches (Shean said he let out because he thought he was running faster than 10.50 and in our contract it stated that they would monitor our times and et's throughout the race and if we ran faster than 10.50 on motor they would take our car and award it to the other team). On the third pass, Shean wanted two car lengths after we just beat him by six inches and he let out on that pass. Rich pushed us into giving him 1 1/2 car lengths on motor to motor or he would award the pass to Shean and we would go to the fourth race. Sometime between the second and third race, one stage of Shean's nitrous system was hooked back up. With his back against the wall, he hit the dry nitrous on the third pass and nipped a plug allowing us to beat him by 1 1/2 lengths; therefore we beat him three and out. Barney should have beat us the second and third run, but he was trying to play games and it backfired on him. We went there to run all out and race and we came out a winner.

"Barney" wasn't performing as he should because when we brought the car home we worked on it for five days trying to get it back in race shape. Here are the problems we found:

The timing on motor was set on 50 degrees instead of 32 degrees...that is why he didn't have any top end charge. The shutter wheel on the Mallory distributor was also loose making the timing vary.

Right rear shock was broke on the car letting the tire rub in the fender well.

When we unloaded if off of the trailer and drove it half a block from the shop and turned the car around the right front wheel folded up under the car and broke a heim joint.

Three bolts in the flywheel were almost out.

And various other problems, etc. etc.

There was no such thing as tech in Richmond, as they didn't even want to know how fast your car would run.

Anyway, after we worked on the car and went to the track it ran a 10.33 at 131 mph in 1/4 mile at Bristol -it would have been faster than this at Richmond, VA.

This is really what happened and what went on and took place at Richmond. If anybody has any questions, give me a call.
1-423-735-RACE @ Phillips Performance Shop or 1-423-388-0016 on my cell.

Thanks,

Jon
1 QUICK Z

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
To quote the guy that lost his car,...it was total bullcrap. I don't care what the winner of the event claims, the Ford guy got robbed.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)

saw that episode. didnt like it much.... i was all hyped up about a BBF car and the owner made the rest of us BBF owners look silly on television airing all over the nation.

the guy with the z car however knows what a BBF car can do, ill give him some credit for that. as far as their "professional" appearance goes they were a big bunch of babies if you ask me. the ford guy knew his car wasnt performing as it was supposed to. guess he shouldve had the car ready for it though, according to the winner's report there.

gotta say i have mixed feelings about this one.

-Dave

1983 F-250 4x4- 472, NP435, NP205, D60/10.25", 37" bead locks
1983 Mercury Capri- 466, C6, questionably street legal

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 PM

i watch it and i was also exctied to see a bbf run but honestly i am so sick of the host and his dumb arm drop's they are at tracks with trees why not use them? but as far as the fairness of the race well i also have mixed feelings but i will say that phillips performance in my personaly opion did act like cry babys but on the other hand it is tv and whom knows what was said behind the scens or what was edited
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Pinks Sucks!

Just another reason not to watch that show.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:51 AM

if you didn't like this one, wait until you see the episode taped the same day where the S10 w/ a 351W runs Nate, the guy from the show............. :lol:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 10:20 AM

I too was excited to see the falcon until the first arm drop. He sure didn't do our BBF proud. I always watch the show but lately I've been asking myself why. Maybe we could set up an all BBF pinks all out and do our cars proud. That would definitely be cool!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Somthing was fishy about that show!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:51 AM

pinks all out is bettwer to watch i think but still he feels the need to look lik a putz and use his arms watta door nob
you would think if they used the tree there would be alot less drama?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 PM

Yeah the pinks all out is a TON better. As a matter of fact I just checked into my Motel room in Rockingham , NC for the pinks all out taping they are doing tonight and Sat. .I do agree Mr. clean is worthless though.

Mike
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM

S10 w 351

Yeah the guy with the S-10 with the small block Ford was on NMRA and FFW asking for people to send him parts to put a motor together. He said he had a mustang but they told him there are just to many and that they are no longer going to run them until they run some other type of cars. So why did he end up running Nate? Also when do you think that show will be aired?

1993 Mustang LX 466 CI with Kaase CJ heads. Just hoping to make a full pass. Best time 6.32 110 mph.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ourmerc Send a message via Yahoo to Ourmerc
Falcon Guy Was Screwed

By Pinks-Rich is a crook !!!!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM

Re: S10 w 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakid8
Yeah the guy with the S-10 with the small block Ford was on NMRA and FFW asking for people to send him parts to put a motor together. He said he had a mustang but they told him there are just to many and that they are no longer going to run them until they run some other type of cars. So why did he end up running Nate? Also when do you think that show will be aired?
yeah, it was a richmond dragway project truck. The guys he was supposed to run were no-shows so Nate stepped up with his own personal car, a buick regal w/ a sbc and a buttload of n2o. Let's just say that the "chrome dome" tried every way to make the rules in favor of Nate. It should air real soon.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 PM

The reason Nate had to run was out of the four cars invited to come three broke. BArney got fixed and the truck got it together, Nate wasn't supposed to run. The way Rich had it planned was Jon win his first race and then race the truck. After the first race we stood at the line for 10-15 minutes with Jon why he thought it over. Jon offered to race and put up Barneys junk but the truck guy said no. Jon then offered Barneys juck and a grand.Still no deal. They told Jon Either he race his car and put it up Or drive Barneys bomb and put it up. Keep in mind that we had just found 3 lose lugs.who knew what else was wrong with that heap... Well let me tell ya...It had a broke shock and when Jon took it off the rollback the A arm broke and the wheel colapsed. He could have died if he would have ran that piece of ****. Barney could have crashed when he was racing Jon But all Rich cared about was his show. He told Jon i can't believe your giving up $200,000 in advertizing for that...Talking about Jon's car..Rich is a Dick. I think the main reason Rich was so pissed is because he didn't want Nate to lose his car...TO BAD RICH!!!!!!!POOR NATE LOST :lol: :lol:
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM

Pinks

I have an 84 1/2 Mustang GT that I've own for 22 yrs that runs 12.5's (306) all day with a full interior (I know there are much faster cars out there with full interiors, but hey I don't own those LOL). I been really tempted to take a chance an run on Pinks (Wife warned me there would be one more ball less individual in the world if I lossed LOL ). I just joined the forum a week ago and while checking it out I saw the Pinks thread and Orange Crush among others has given me a new perspective of the show. I too would prefer to leave off the tree, I have done my fair share of street racing and if the flagman is known to your opponent it's advantage him. So it seems if you give Rich a hard time and stand your ground, he'll put the screws to you. It's hard enough putting up your pride and joy only to get shafted cause the host has you by the balls once you sign the waiver and will force any race that will help his ratings . If I do ever decide go I'll put in a bigger engine and just do PINKS ALL-OUT which seems to be the deal anyway. Thanks fellas for opening my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in