Trans fluid experiment - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Trans fluid experiment

Just wanted to let everyone in on a little testing I just completed.

I mixed my trans fluid 50/50 with tractor hyd fluid. I used 1/2 Castrol Type F and 1/2 fluid that meets John Deere J20C specs. I used O'Reilly Auto Parts "Premium Hyd Fluid" It meets that spec. The J20C is for their newest tractors and has additives that work well with clutches. The JD brand itself is HyGuard
http://www.deere.com/en_AU/parts_ser...be/index3.html

I had heard of this tip from a couple of buddies of mine that run a ORSCA Limited Street car. 2000+hp, 3K lbs, true 10.5 tire, no wheelie bars, huge BBC + LOTS of nitrous. They tune how high they want the stall by the % of hyd fluid. The J20C is thicker than type F and will tighten a converter. richter69 (Jon) convinced me to try it.

My converter has been a bit loose by about 200-250 rpm. It's a 9" soft hit. Originally a BTE, but rebuilt last by PTC. Kenny at PTC said it's as tight as he can get it without either changing the soft hit CCX stator or getting really ineffcient. It was stalling 6200-6250 against the brake.

The hyd fluid tightened it up to about 6K. This past weekend it produced 60's that were in the range of my best on what was otherwise a really poor track surface. I was Silver Dollar Raceway In Ga for a 3 day NMRA event. It went 1.098-1.102 on most passes. Normally it takes nearly *perfect* conditions to run like this. Based on my log book it should have been going 1.117-1.125. Keep in mind this is a "soft hit" converter. I give up some on the line with it in order to hit it softer for a crappy track.

Overall the 60' was better and the 330' as well. I gained back what I had lost at the end of last season. Last year I exploded a trans planetary. I put in a 1.80 straight cut vs the old 1.76 helical cut. Stronger, but it takes more power to turn. I lost an average of .05. Got that back.

Not bad for $8 per gallon from O'Reilly's

BTW, had a blast at the NMRA race hanging out with QtrWarrior (Mike) and Stephen Jordan. All three of us were still in down to 12 cars when the rains came and we were done. Split the purse 12 ways.

David Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM
richter69

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
That stuff really works, glad you liked it. My UCC 9" was pretty loose from the added power, the hyguard really snugged it up. I gained a tenth in the 1/8th with it alone. Another plus is the temp will not affect if very much, meaning the car should be more consistant, and you cant burn it up either. I reduce my stall by 300 rpm, and the converter really locks on the big end. One thing guys need to watch is be sure you use a screen type filter, the fiber matieral ones will starve the pump. How you like that primer plus David? I love mine.....
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

It's good stuff. Helped my 60' and 330'. I didn't really see much top end lock up difference, but I didn't expect any. The CCX "soft hit" stator's are loose down low, but always lock up well and are very efficient on the top end.

I really like the Primer Plus. It builds heat in the motor fast and cut my alky use in half. I drive to staging and back up the return road after a pass on 93 oct pump gas!

David Cole

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

David,

Was good to see ya again and hang out..Just wish there were fewer cars when we split the money..

See ya in a few weeks.

Mike Stevens
Member of "The Band of Brothers"
2011 American Swingarm, 615" A Head
Engine built by Oakley MotorSports...
1.008,4.55 @ 153.06
Eliminator Products dealer
Thanks "Geez." RIP
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 PM

I run it straight, works great!

67 Pro Street Fastback
Full tube chassis, IHRA & NHRA certified
526 c.i. C & C Boss 429 Hemi
Littlefield 14-71 High Helix Retro, Kobelco K-9 rotors, 22% over
Enderle alcohol inj.
MSD-10 Plus ignition & controller
C6 trans
9" rear, 3.89 gear
Full exhaust with 6" hand made mufflers
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:54 PM

JW does the same thing with their trans fluid, a mix of Royal Purple ATF and hyd. fluid.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 PM

I run HY TRANS Plus, it's made by Case for their backhoe hydraulic and transmission systems and the ZF transmissions in the wheel loaders.
I run it straight in the C6 in my plow truck and it holds up quite well, their was no junk in the pan after a full season of snow plowing in N.Y. When I first put the truck together I had a 10" 3000 stall converter in it and I plow the first season with it. I serviced the trans when I changed converters and sent a sample out for oil analysis and got a good report back. One of the techs at the Case dealership I worked at used it in his bugeye sprite he used to race, it ran low 10's with a sbc and turbo 350.
The HY TRANS Plus has a extremely high temp range and is recommened for alot of severe applications by Case. I don't have all the spec's on it but you could get them from any Case Equipment Dealerships.

28 Model A pickup roadster
78 F250 4x4 429/C6
89 F350 4x4 460/5speed
98 F150 4x2 4.2/5speed
03 Explorer 4x4 4.0/auto
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 AM

Sweet! Good to hear from someone who has kept logs on it. I run HYGARD in my offroad rockcrawling rigs. The lack of high speed cooling makes these tranny's live a rough life. With HYGARD they last and stay tight.

When in doubt, throttle out...
www.hardlineoffroad.com
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ranger50 Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger50
I used some of the HyGard when I tore apart my GF's 00 Monte Carlo 4t65e transmission....

That trans had already been "dealership" rebuilt 3 times for failed OD clutches, so it wasn't in the best of health to start with. A failed EPC finally forced me to fix it. I replace parts and button it back up with a new filter, fluid, sensor, solenoid, and internal wiring harness. I replaced just TWO quarts with the HyGard.... You would swear I had put in a moderately hard shift kit in it. I loved it.

But I hear the newest trick is just to run straight synthetic 5w30 motor oil....

Brian

Never trust an intelligent man with no money to play fair.

1995 Dodge Dakota... Just a LOW daily driver....
1997 F250 PSD -- It's broke, it is a Ford afterall.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Just an FYI on the fluid i used. It was O'Reilly Auto Parts store brand. The had a couple of generic hyd fluids in stock, but this was their "Premium Hyd Fluid" They got it for me on overnight order. It meets both the John Deere J20C (HyGuard) specs and the Case HyTran specs.

I used It as I have no Case dealer nearby and the only JD dealer wanted list price ($50 for a 2 gallon jug) and he didn't stock it. (Not really a tractor dealer, mainly sells quipment to commercial landscape services)

David Cole
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Nice Data David!

I'll look into the local O'Reilly and see if they have this stuff.

Thanks for the info!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
richter69

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Where you guys been I have been running this stuff for over ten years now.I started using it after a friend who builds trans told me it would help lubricate the planataries better thus reducing breakage.Lower temps tighter stall and better clutch life all icing on the cake.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 PM

Has anyone tried the low viscosity hyguard? I noticed there is two different kinds. Pat
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
richter69

I plan on runing the low vis in our smblk car once its back together, it needs all the stall it can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in