6.4L heads up - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

6.4L heads up

Ok guy's here's a little heads up on what to look for before you diag it as a failed INJECTOR.

Ford has a few 2008 superduties with 6.4L running all over America, (Toughest's road test in America) The trucks are black crew-cab dullies pulling 5th wheel trailers some of you may have seen them??. Anyway, they came in today for oil changes and inspections before they head up to Anchorage Alaska.

Ok; this is about they only problem these trucks had on their whole trip. Bold #one truck keeps tossing code P-0208 (Open circuit #8 injector). Along with this code the engine runs rough (Missfire), the truck was worked on two other times for this in Dealerships, the guy's are diaging it as failed #8 injector and replacing the injector??? When the repair is complete the engine runs great no codes, so on with the trip... 50,000 miles later same thing happens??

I worked on her today, and found,, on the Injector harness under the valve cover, harness side the female pins are fatiguing and spreading causing and bad connection, in turn getting a miss-fire..

The mechanics that worked on bold #one had never worked on a 6.4L before and thought "Maybe this is like the 6.0L just change the injector"?? I don't know, I just know the injector was changed twice and the problem came back.. If any of you guy's get this, check the harness first...

Here's another heads up
If the engine just dies for no reason and will not restart right away, but will start after cooled off. (like the 7.3L CPS) The code I don't have right off hand but it is something to do with low injector pressure? It's not always the high pressure fuel pump, it's the connector's to the high pressure pump... Under the turbo... Same thing is happening here, heat is causing harness side pins to spread.

Just a heads up

Oh these trucks have over 150,000 miles on them and the only problem was the P-0208code!! Maybe the 6.4L might just work out ok??

cheers

adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 AM

Re: 6.4L heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown86hallet
Oh these trucks have over 150,000 miles on them and the only problem was the P-0208code!! Maybe the 6.4L might just work out ok??

cheers

adam
Yeah, they just might.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:48 AM

this post is in response to the other post regarding that vid.

A little viral media can really be a bad thing. Hopefully this will be resolved and will put the shine back on these rigs. Adam works directly with these tests.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)

thanks for the heads up, its nice to see a real tech out there who actually diagnoses things instead of throwing parts at the problem. too bad we dont get those at the parts store i work at lol. gotta say though i laughed at the comments on the other post about the CAT diesels in the ford trucks... while cats are good motors when i used to work at a peterbilt dealership all the medium dutys(peterbilt, GMC, ford, etc) with the 7.2L C7 motor almost always had injectors go out... i got pretty fast at changing them. id say these motors have some hope.

-Dave

1983 F-250 4x4- 472, NP435, NP205, D60/10.25", 37" bead locks
1983 Mercury Capri- 466, C6, questionably street legal
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 AM
richter69

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for the heads up, I have already heard about the pin and connector issues on them. You cant assume the 6.4 is gonna diag like a 6.0, and same goes for the 6.0 you cant diag it like a 7.3. The one shootin the flames out has a problem, sounds like a cracked injector or the like dumping fuel in the exhaust, you combime that with the heat the dpf generates you get fire. That deal got all blown out of proportion. Still only had to fix one 6.4, the 6.0s never stop.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:56 PM

As in the 6.0's never stop breaking or they never stop running??

You guys have me worried about my 06 6.0

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
289 4 spd 68 Mustang Fastback
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:02 PM
richter69

well, just got one in with a miss on #4 and #8, pulled the cover and #8 intake rocker is laying on the top of the head. Dont have much trouble with the valvetrain, looks like someone was into this one. only 300 miles out of warranty. Ohter tech just put his 2nd set of head gaskets on two sep trucks this week. I had a record pay period this March, all 6.0 related work with a good few out of warranty. I'll stop now......
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:12 PM

Well I bought the extended warranty on mine. Only 25k on it so far and no problems. Havent succumbed to the urge to chip it or anything so I am hoping if I leave well enough alone it will do the job. Dont like the idea of trading in a virtually brand new truck on the new SD. They are nice looking rig's tho.

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 05:53 PM
richter69

leave it stock, change the fuel filters every 15k (use ford filters both fuel and oil) oil changes every 3k and you should be fine. About the only issue I have seen with the 06 models is the stc fitting at the back of the hi press pump blowing off and leaving you stuck when it happens. Usually needs 50k , or it wont happen at all. Man like I say all I see are broke, there are a lot and I mean a lot out there with no issues at all. Dont sweat the little stuff, drive it an enjoy a damn fine truck.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i wonder if ford could make the pin connectors a little smaller.that way components would fail alltogether instead of a intermitent dying concern,that only happens every 50k or when the moon lines up with your anus. i crack my self up.but seriously can the pin conncetors get any smaller?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 PM

Last time I checked the Moon definitely did not line up with my anus.

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

It's like anything else, ALL cars and trucks have some problems, no big deal generally or should I say, hopefully.... We were just talking about this the other day about how tough it is to take a car apart, restore it and put it back together again AND get everything working. I'm talking about 1970 cars, with that said what's it like to build it from scratch AND get everything working, I can't imagine what that's like on a 2008 car or truck. All those connections, all that wiring that has to work, not on one but MILLIONS of cars and trucks, amazing it works at all....

A redesign on the connector and it'll probably work forever, I hope so because I do think the 08 Ford is a nice looking truck and at that price I would have to drive the thing for the rest of my life!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

08 6.4L,crew cab,4x4,dually,king ranch..................$57,893.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in