saw a cool Mopar factory race car today-Pix! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

saw a cool Mopar factory race car today-Pix!

Sure its a mopar post but you guys can appreciate a cool car regardless.

A local bud let me borrow his timing light and I ran it back today.
I knew he had a 68 Coronett with a 10 sec hemi in it and that he had a 73 Challenger project so when I went I took my camera.
Seems his dad, a Jeep worker/painter is a big mopar nut.

His dad has a 63 Hemi belvedere. Its one of two "2 and 2" cars.
Front and rear factory altered wheelbase cars. Not AFX but a different class. It has an aluminum front clip and a (now gone) thin steel bumper. The car has factory original 10 spoke Shelby wheels. John said they are repopped but the repop wheel's valve stem is in the wrong spot. His dad has been offered stupid money for em. This car may be one of the 1st Hemi cars out. It was meant to be a maxwedge car that Chrysler pulled off the line for factory race duty. 64 was the 1st year for the race hemi. I guess 66 began the street hemi years. His dad took it to the Walter Chrysler museum and met the engineer who built it. This car ended up raced with a His and Her package, the "His" car was destroyed in a fire that I guess was an insurance fraud deal. The front clip was off when burned and is now on a white car at the WPC museum. The car was factory red and was painted by the owner orange as a His n her team scheme. The car had a black engine compartment that my buddy and his dad wiped off with laquer thinner and brougfht back the original color. The old pix show a 3rd team car, a tow car converted to a vert. It has a Tbirt seat/trunk lid, cougar tails and side pipes. It was built in 1965. John and his dad put a motor in it for the guy.

His dad also has a blue 71 Hemicuda with 11K miles on it. all track miles.
It was repainted in laquer in 1985. The mill between the cuda and challenger is its original mill. The 440 behind it is the 68 Coronet's original mill.

The hemi in the Challlenger is a used Prostock Alu motor soon to be turbo'd. All mods to the Cuda are boltins. John put a cowl in the car, I may ask him to help on my 68 vert. He welds furniture at an office furniture plant.

The Challenger was scored for 2500 8 years ago and is a 340 AC car. It will be its original B5 red when done and will run the Weld Alumistars on it now.

The Coronet wasn't stored there. His dad also has a 8000 mile 90era vet vert he got cheap from a family friend. Its covered in dust and neglected. He bought it as a favor to his buddy's widow.

I have no idea how acurate my facts are, or my memory of what I was told but john is a real mopar head. The cars he has are super sweet.

note the factory modded shock towers

his and hers team

The "his" car

John's dad

Pic of tow car

10 sec Coronet motor

original 73 mill

Challenger and 71 hemicuda mill

sweetness

71 hemicuda 11K miles

original coronet motor

owner racer, already missing the thin/rusted front bumper in 65/66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

sweet.love those old mopars.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Great pictures of some really cool old Chryslers. Those altered wheelbase A/FX cars were weird looking don't you think?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

His stack of pictures was really cool. I should have taken more pics.
Lots of Burnout shots.

Yesterday I was watching the Speed channel and they had all the Ford Factory Galaxys, Tbolts plus the Ramchargers and Sox/Martin stuff on there. It was pretty cool to see all this Hemi stuff the next day.

This stuff is the history of the cars I love. Maybe this car was a small time venture -I dunno but it was cool seeing a bonafide factory car. I live 1 hour from Detroit but I still never get to see enough of this stuff. Some of the guys on here lived/live it and I really think they are lucky. I'm glad this stuff is out there hidden in garages all over America.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM

I too was a Mopar-Nut. My first car was a '68 Roadrunner w/ a 383 Magnum "given" to me by a guy on my paper route when I was 15. Boy, if I knew then what I know now about these cars I'd be a rich man. Also bought a '70 Barracuda in '85 that was a big block transplant car and it turned out to be a 12 sec. / 123 mph thriller when I was in Ft Hood, Tx.
But then my Ford-Lovin' Granddad showed me the light and shamed me constantly (jokingly of course) about ownin' that damned Dodge, so I followed suit and family ritual and traded it for a Mustang in Killeen,Tx.
Oh well, like I said. If I knew then what I know now... :roll:

Still, I think given the chance I'd own another Mopar Musclecar.

Doug... 8)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '86 F150... 521 w/ FRPP SCJ Heads, Glide...
Best ET: 1/8---6.17 @ 112 mph N/A @ 1200'
6.34 @ 112 mph N/A @ 5000'
1/4---9.73 @ 136 mph N/A @ 1200'
9.97 @ 135 mph N/A @ 5000'
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM

mopar is a slow car but better than no car j/k
i myself have place for the old mopars i had a 71 dart swinger with a 340
and a 75 duster with a 318 but blue also runs in my famly and my granddad also showed me the light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in