Northstar Dragway (old Denton track) open again. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Northstar Dragway (old Denton track) open again.

Some thoughts/ramblings on local tracks:

Now that a friend's re-bodied (now ugly-*** '33 Willys) Frankenstein looking door car is finally running we hit a few local tracks for some testing (Redline, Denton, & Kennedale). I was pleased to see that the Denton TX track was open again (now called Northstar Dragway) under new owners. Hopefully all the bad press and the problems with the old track owners is a thing of the past. The new owners/track crew did seem to have a handle on how to run a track & how to keep the starting line in good shape even though there wasn't much rubber laid down yet. While my friend's car did shake the tires at Denton, it shook them in a straight line (for the most part). When this track gets a little more rubber down it looks like it will be a killer track.

The Redline track seemed to be needing the most attention (in my opinion). A growing number of cars during the day were shaking/spinning the tires. While they did keep the starting line sprayed with VHT & the surface was super sticky, there was too much rubber buildup and it needed to be shaved. The built-up rubber was "squishy" & easily peeled up-off the track surface with just your shoe. Chuck Nuytten had his Promod vette there testing and he shook/spun, we shook hard, & slower bracket type cars were having trouble hooking, so it wasn't a "too much power" thing.

Kennedale spun some, but showed the best results so far. Duane (from this board) said that they are using a traction compound from VP instead of VHT this year and it works best with more cars making passes to work it in. It doesn't feel as sticky "everywhere" like VHT does, but the VP stuff seems to grab your shoe just fine where the burnout/grove is.

It will be interesting this summer if all these local tracks "come around" and all hook equally well. If that happens racers could have a hard time choosing where to go with so many choices.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Forum Contributor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad to hear the news about Denton.

I live just a few minutes from there, but last year had to swear I would never go back after some extreme safety violations. Track prep was sub-par as well.

I look forward togiving the new owners another shot!

Hopefully we'll have time to test there prior to hauling our junk up to Kentucky.

Greg

In Limbo at all times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in