Garage security - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage security

I have an in house dog, motion light, 12 gauge and locks but my garage got broken into last night. I suspect the reason I sustained minimal if any losses its because my garage is super trashed. I predict they will be back.

Do you guys have any other ideas for security/survailance?

I can't really afford an alarm service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 PM
PBR

My garage is part of my house alarm and my pits take turns sleeping in the garage. All it took was one motorcycle to be stolen and my house became Ft. Knox.

You should go to the local hardware / garage store and get some of those cheap slidebar locks for the garagedoor.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
I have the overhead doors bolted and padlocked, motion lights on the outside, a motion sensor with insanely loud siren inside, and hidden cameras that get recorded by my computer when activated.

You can pick up a really basic motion sensor alarm with siren for under $25.00 that will scare off 99% of the would be criminals in the world. When mine goes off, I have to leave the garage because it's so loud it feels like my ears are going to start bleeding.

Here's a couple:
http://www.testproducts.com/safecart...roducts_id=104
http://doitbest.com/DoItBest/Main.as...=64&SKU=535575

You can probably get them at a local radio shack or hardware store.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 PM

This is what we use. Just be sure to turn it off before you get anywere near the shop. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-15.htm 8)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

But won't that leave spent shells everywhere to clean up?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 PM

That is the easy part, Its all the very small body parts that are hard to find.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Alarm

Phil,
A few years ago my garage was broke into and I lost about $1600 of stuff.
It could have been worse and yes I thought that they would come back.
This is what I did.

Lowes has an infra-red alarm kit from First Alert. You install it on the back wall of the garage. Go to Radio shack and get the 120db siren, some wire and a toggle switch.
Install the toggle switch at the door to the house. Total cost is less than $80. The alarm has all of the connection ports to add the remote devices.
You can program the alarm to trigger after one, two or three motions sensed. The alarm will sound after 15 seconds. So if you enter the garage you have 15 seconds to flip the switch. If someone is passing thru the garage when it is set all they need to do is turn the switch off then on to reset. The alarm will not set until 90 seconds of no motion takes place so you can set the alarm and not worry about triggering it.

If you have handguns buy the small key pad safe at Harbor Freight $40 and mount it securely into the studs in your bedroom closet. One gun should be ready to rock and roll. If you need to get to the gun it is 20 seconds away. My choice is a 45 cal Taurus Millenium.
I do have a piece of mind even thou the cat got locked in there and tripped the alarm at 3 :00 am..... exciting

sorry for being long here.

69 Mustang ProStreet 580 E85
9.0 @ 148

70 Torino 521
[email protected]
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good system. I picked up a cheap deal from Home Depot. Its coded and has a 30 sec activation timer but it just keeps going off no matter what. I stuck it in a bucket. Still went off.

I spent tonight hardening all my entry points and locking down.

I like your system better except I prefer a shotgun. I'm in the city.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 08:20 PM

I got a shotgun, a rifle and a 460 powered four wheel drive, or how is it that goes?

cars are gone...
cornfed feedtruck comin...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Run down one of those burglar alarm guys when you see one on the road..... Most of them will do side work!

Parts are cheap. I used to do it for a living years ago.....

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Cot, sleeping bag, flash/flood light, 45ACP.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
richter69

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Shops got a steel door, reinforced locks, overhead is double locked, trailer parked in front of it (bout 10 different padlocks on it with a sep alarm also) Shop doors have a sensor on them and one motion (no windows in shop either) At night the shop is armed along with the house, the main siren is loud as hell and right outside my bedroom. Loaded .44 mag in the closet, will not hesitate to blow big holes in anyone who enters my house or shop, and I will sleep good at night if it happens. I have no sympathy for a thief, my house was broken into when I first got married and they took all my guns and all her jewelry (she is a jeweler so she had a lot of nice stuff). They never entered the detached shop though . I installed an alarm on that place right after and first thing one this one when we bought it. If it wereme I'd be camped out hoping they returned....but thats just me, been there done that.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Hmmmm

Lets see, no locks, no gun, no alarm. Lunitic (me) comes and goes at all kinds of wierd hours. Lunitic lives between two crazy people in quiet neighborhood. Dark garage, stuff scattered everywhere, making it hard to find any goodies (organized mess) Rabid cat lives in garage, only likes lunitic owner. The door of the garage is left open so when the luntic comes home and sees thief in the garage the lunitic can breath life to the 460 and install instant rear garage door with new "thief hood emblem".
Sorry officer, the gas pedal got stuck! Opps!

Honestly, I live in a great neighborhood and half the residents own guns. Its up to the thieves to figure out which ones. :P

I have no interest in grabbing a gun to go meet someone who might have one too...lol

I'd rather have an alarm system the goes off with a time delay that locks the morons in the garage! Oh what a feeling to hear a door slam and latch behind you, lights go out....Trapped, like a rat in a cage.

There are also those fake cameras with the LED lights... A small sign on the door... WARNING: Boobytraps inside . I wonder what I could mock up with a coil spring and some razor wire...lol Hindsight: Floor drain in the garage.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
I can tell some stories but......I walk around outside with my FN-Fal and people seem to get the picture......everyone in the area knows they will be shot and impaled in the front yard.... to secure peace is to prepare for war....D
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Dave, If you have a part number on that unit please post. Can't find it on lowes.com or on the first alert site. I have one of the old screaming motion devices, but I like your system better. We have dogs, pinned windows, double locked overhead and trailers parked in the way. Along with motion lights, of course.

1967 Falcon 4 door
Owner built, owner abused.
http://raceabilene.com/misc/hisnherspic.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in