Healthcare? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Healthcare?

I've been growing tired of my healthcare prices going up and up and up, and service goind down the drain. Anyone have any suggestions on a company that offers good service for a decent price?

I'm currently with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The plan is called Tonik, and seems to be aimed at young hipster dufus risk takers like myself. Off the top of my head, the coverage runs about $350.00/month for my wife and I. That includes a dental plan that covers cleanings and x-rays but nothing else. I think our deductable is about $500.00.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HSA

I like an HSA myself. Mine has a $5000 deductible which keeps premiums down. Then I shop around for healthcare and negotiate with the physicians. When they know they're getting paid right away they are more willing to drop prices.

One of the many reasons healthcare is expensive is that doctors have to wait a long time before getting paid by insurance companies so they add extra $ to acount for the time value of money.

I had knee surgery several years ago on a workman' comp claim and the surgeon didn't get paid for 2 years. That's a long time!

Just my humble opinion on the matter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:16 PM

Unless your dental plan is purchased as a group buy, like from an employer, you will never come out ahead. Don't buy it. If all you need is maintenance, pay out of pocket and keep up on it to stay that way.

If you need extensive reconstruction, develop a plan with your dentist. start with disease control, and move into nicer elective treatment as you can afford. Prioritize with your dentist. There are ways to get the treatment done nicely a sextant at a time if well planned out.

Considering medical insurance, I suggest a catastrophic plan. Keeps you whole in case of serious illness but doesn't cover the little stuff. The premiums on these are very reasonable.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 12:12 AM

insurance

I would suggest Mega Insurance Company. If you go to mega.com (?) + fill out the query page, a local (MO) independant self employed insurance rep will contact you. tell him you need a group plan. If you currently have health ins, this should be an easy swap.
I personally prefer PPO's. You can go anywhere in the US + US territories + be covered. Some PPO's even have coverage in other countries.
My health ins. for a family of 4 runs $800/mo. And I still paid $13k in out of pocket health expenses last year.
I told everyone that for this year, no one goes to the Doc unless you're in dire needs.
Good Luck. BC / BS coverage really depends on what state you live in. In some states BC / BS has very good coverage, at good rates. Not, In Illinois for me, or Kentucky!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM

BC/BS does depend on what state you have the coverage through. They are all independent from each other and there can be multiple ones in each state. I work for BCBST. We seem to have pretty good packages and the newest thing going is the high deductable HRA accounts which is Health reimbursement account. I hate working with them because they can be complicated but they have a low monthly premium, and you put money back on your own tax free. Also gives you freedom on what to spend the money on more so than a stringent regular plan. The best you can get is a PPO account as you can go about anywhere and get good benefits like said before out of state, even out of country. They are much more expensive but if you have some health risks in your family can be well worth the money. Just remember if you change plans too often your going to run into plans with pre-existing conditions and coverage exclusions where certain conditions will never be available for benefits for the life of the plan.
The price of Health insurance can be based on many different things but most companies are non-profit so they are not always there just to make money, and profits. Stuff like no cap on civil suits against doctors and the overuse in stuff such as MRI's, CT Scans and so forth make the insurance more expensive than it should be. The raise of doctors premiums for liability insurance raises the amount of money that doctors charge for each patient in turn raising cost of insurance for us all. Yes doctors should pay if they make a mistake but there has to be a set amount of what can be done. Until things such as these are fixed the amount for insurance will continue to rise. Not like I'm making the big bucks(have to race the dads car can't afford my own) and my coverage sucks compared to most that I see during the day. Just shop around but always try to find a policy that does not have a pre-existing condition.

Later,
Doug

1993 Mustang LX 466 CI with Kaase CJ heads. Just hoping to make a full pass. Best time 6.32 110 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in