How come all i see are Engine Dyno numbers??? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How come all i see are Engine Dyno numbers???

ive been doing a lot of researching on www.460ford.com and always seem to come across flywheel HP from engine dynos but hardly ever see any RWHP numbers or MPH at the track (1/4 Mile). Kinda reminds me of the SVT forums (my bro owns a modified 03' Cobra) , over there, all we see is "i make 500RWHP" "i make 53X RWHP" (BTW with just catback and CAI he pulled 400RWHP LOL) and so on but no MPH to back it up. Sorry, just venting. Im curious as to what the motors actually do when theyre in the car. All you boat racers its obvious this isnt directed at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 AM

Well I guess what it comes down to, is once the engine is built you dyno it. Then you install it in what ever your ride is. Dyno numbers are just that Numbers .. You find where it makes the most of them and then you try to run it there.

Dan

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

yeah but theres no track times and MPH's either to back up the "just numbers"

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 PM
PBR

Emissions legal daily driven H/C/I N/A 302, AEM tuned by me

11.72 @ 113

I don't believe in dyno numbers, it's only a tuning device. The 466 should be able to best that easily.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

MPH in the quarter is whats most important to me, but obviously the guy with the best ET is the winner, anyways thats fast for a daily driven 302!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

605 boat engine 981 HP 840 tq with 2 1/4" dynoheaders .
After the dragboat season we put the engine in a rear engine dragster . Only change from the dyno to the car was the addition of some nice 2 3/8" headers which it should have had on the dyno . Best time...4.54 with a zero....151.01 mph 1/8 mile . I do not know what it makes at the rear wheels .
Is this the kind of info you were looking for ?

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Well, my take on it is on a diverse board like 460ford.com is how would one level the field between those that drag race, those that daily drive, the ones that go mudding in trucks, power their boats with it, etc?

Obviously the chassis dyno wouldn't do.
However almost anyone building a motor can relate to what it puts out on a engine dyno. Do you discount the guy's combo that is running a 600hp flywheel in his 4x4 truck and is only putting out 425 rwhp at the wheels compared to the guy in a late model mustang who has the same combo and is laying down 500 rwhp?

Secondly, the scientific method would dictate to limit the uncontrolled variables. On a chassis dyno there are a number of elements that cannot be adequately controlled like driveline efficiency, wheel/tire combos, hell even wheel alignment and tire pressure will throw the results off on a chassis dyno. This forces people to then pontificate on the value of certain parts and the value of one person's dyno sheet over another. I can't tell you how many times I've added a part on my motor and gained 8 hp on a back to back chassis dyno run and haven't been sure whether the gain was just due to standard deviation or even just increased thermodynamic efficiencies.

Now I'm not totally discounting the value of the rwhp chassis dyno. I'm just saying that engine building guys trying to eek out the value of one modificaton over another will not be able to accurately do that without doing it on the engine dyno. That's why Nascar uses the engine dyno to ensure the highest level of accuracy, repeatability and test throughput.

'68 Galaxie XL 500 Fastback - 514 Motor Build in process, TFS Streets and intake ported by RHP, XR292R Cam

'02 Harley Davidson Edition F150 Supercrew
Built 5.4 Motor with 2.6 H Kenne Bell Supercharger
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

im just saying more numbers to back up the engine dyno numbers would be better. Obviously this isnt aimed at the boat builders or themonster truck guys or mud racers or whatever,but at the guys that build street/strip cars. i see a lot of 600+ HP engines here but hardly any 600 (or 500 at that) horsepower cars.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Engine dyno numbers can be used for various reasons (not the least of which is bragging rights) but the two most useful are:

A) Tuning your mill for the most power and giving you a power characteristics baseline for setting up the rest of your vehicle to take advantage of the it.

B) Verifying that your build meets your intended power characteristics goals.

This being the 460ford.com forum it is a given that the emphasis here will be on the engine, not necessarily the vehicle it happens to reside in. How you put the power to the ground will determine how well the vehicle actually performs on the street and at the track.

Brad
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 PM

I've never dyno'ed anything, my 3450# street car has run a best of 8.70 @ 157 mph to date. (driven to the track on pump gas)
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:42 PM

1990 mustang GT street driven "not daily have you seen the prices of gas?" full interior,pw,pl+roll bar+ my 250 pound azz. Older FRPP "bracket racers special" 466ci crate motor rated by ford at 535 hp. C-6. Off the footbrake at 1500 rpm best et/mph to date [email protected]
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Well. It's a little hard to strap a piperack to a dyno..

See signature for times and mph numbers..

Mike Stevens
Member of "The Band of Brothers"
2011 American Swingarm, 615" A Head
Engine built by Oakley MotorSports...
1.008,4.55 @ 153.06
Eliminator Products dealer
Thanks "Geez." RIP
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans
After the dragboat season we put the engine in a rear engine dragster . Only change from the dyno to the car was the addition of some nice 2 3/8" headers which it should have had on the dyno . Best time...4.54 with a zero....151.01 mph 1/8 mile . I do not know what it makes at the rear wheels .
Those are great numbers! Which heads did you have? what compression ratio and intake manifold/carb?

I am down 100 horse from those numbers. I am 8.9 to 1, A heads and a single dominator. Oh and I hit it at 6400 rpm.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans
Those are great numbers! Which heads did you have? what compression ratio and intake manifold/carb?

I am down 100 horse from those numbers. I am 8.9 to 1, A heads and a single dominator. Oh and I hit it at 6400 rpm.
TFS "A" heads , 15/1 , QFT 1250 on a cast manifold....HP @ 6900 . I wish we had the bigger headers for the dyno gig

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 PM

As soon as my car is finished I'll have some track numbers to back up the dyno numbers. But I have a tuff row to hoe, because I'm going to do it on a 10.5 slick. On motor alone I looking for 5.10's or .20's, with the nitrous, 4.80's or .90's. If it wasn't a challenge it won't be any fun at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in