My money is no good here! (RANT) - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My money is no good here! (RANT)

I can't find a damn body shop that wants to take the dent out of my Torino's quarterpanel and door.
I have this car stripped down to prettey much a bare shell right now, so it will be easy work for them to pull/pound out a dent, but all the shops around here just want to do quick in'n out insurance jobs for people who got keyed or got a ding on their door.

WHERE ARE THE REAL BODY MEN?

I can't close the freakin' door on my car, and these guys are saying they can't help me.
I've seen the work that these guys have done, and they make cars look like new, but they can't help me out.
I think I know when to draw the line between doing something yourself and farming it out to a professional, and I've always hated body work. I don't want to f*ck something up. The body was the whole reason I bought this car; a 1970 Torino has been my dream car since I got into cars. THey look Freakin' badass, especially with hidaway headlights.
So can someone please tell me what's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:18 PM

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

"Give the man a cigar!"

I live in the @sshole of Texas, the RIo Grande Valley.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:54 PM

A sore spot of mine also!

I don't want to flame any hard working body men here, but many of the shops are just TOO GREEDY! I was quoted prices hovering around 20 grand to repaint my 71' Mach 1. Much like you, I asked for a quote with my car almost completely stripped. It didn't matter because it's 'easy to pad the bill for insurance work'. Those aren't my words, that's what a secretary at one shop told me. The truth is, newer cars are easier to repair. Hardly any have leaded seams on quarter panels, the paint is almost always the original, and they can move the cars through the shop in much less time than our 'old stuff'.
You might want to try going to your nearest automotive paint supply store and ask if they'll give you a list of shops that do restoration work or customs. I doubt if it'll be cheap, but at least you'll have a chance to find someone interested in your car. Good luck. I still haven't painted mine. I have environmental regulations in my area that won't allow me to paint it myself anymore.

Brandon
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:26 PM

Heck,, I can't get no one worth their salt to even think about doing body work on my old truck. They say they are all too busy with insurance and has been ages since they have painted a complete car/truck.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM

I can't believe how many people can't find anybody to repaint their cars and trucks :shock: Almost makes me glad I did mine myself. Although I HATED every minute of it. Hard to believe I'm actually thinking of redoing it next winter ops:
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 PM

There are in most cases no padding of bills to the insurance company as that is a federal offence. If you feel that the amount todo your resto is absorbant then think about.... Sprayable materials in most production facilities totaling over $1000.00, up to 150 billable hours of labor, and over $500.00 in cosumable materials. Now add overhead. Around here a nice all over is $10,000.00

Craig Sullivan
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

i'd go down to the local parts store and ask if there are any guys buying paint that do work on the side,and ask if they are any good.then get their number.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ34
There are in most cases no padding of bills to the insurance company as that is a federal offence. If you feel that the amount todo your resto is absorbant then think about.... Sprayable materials in most production facilities totaling over $1000.00, up to 150 billable hours of labor, and over $500.00 in cosumable materials. Now add overhead. Around here a nice all over is $10,000.00
Im not finding fault with any one but,I beg to differ .I have (and still do) had friends that were P&B men and every one padded the bill in one way or the other.Either by saying they did work they didnt do or by charging for expensive parts and installing cheaper ones or in man hours.Im not saying they were crooks(They are just trying to make a living.Although I wouldnt do it that way.) or did sub par work,some of what they do is absolute show.And none of them have 100k in their shops.I know some do,just the average shop cant afford it.And theres only one or two shops in this area left that will do work for non insurance.

God bless
Lonnie
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ranger50 Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger50
Here is what I have seen happening...

Paint and body guys are dinosaurs.

Today's crop of "paint and body" men are panel replacers and mud slingers. Anything more then simple replacement of parts and they get the vehicle "close enough" or get the "hidden damage" additions high enough to total the vehicle out. Plus you have the fact that every vehicle out there is a rolling throwaway tin can no matter what you paid for it. Then factor in insurance only pays X for something, it easier to screw (fit, prep, and paint) with a new part then actually fixing a small dent.

Don't forget, without an insurance company involved, the body shop doesn't have a scapegoat if you don't like the work. So, some of them don't want that liability, JMHO.

Just what I see.
Brian

PS- I'd suck it up and figure out how to do it yourself. It's not hard, but just tedious. It can't be that hard.

PPS- No rod building shops around????????

Never trust an intelligent man with no money to play fair.

1995 Dodge Dakota... Just a LOW daily driver....
1997 F250 PSD -- It's broke, it is a Ford afterall.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 PM

If your car is from Texas paint it yourself, at least prep it.
If its from where I am (Ohio), sell it.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Forum Contributor

I am no body man but:
I know a guy here in my area that is a one man operation, that has been doing this 25 years, he does very little insurance, mostly custom and salvage. He does such great work, that a man out of Texas brings his old muscle cars to him for a ground-up. He has one in there now. It looks funny, it is on this frame that he can roll the car upside down by hand.
He told me it takes anywhere from 6-12 months to complete one of these restorations, due to the curing proses.(whatever that includes?) He does other work while he is waiting for the curing times.
This is the type of guy you need to look for.

David,

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

1977 F-150 4X4 SWB
Mud/Dirt drags.
460 + ?
4.5 Bore X ?

and who cares,
if your winning your cheating, just ask the
bowtie guys
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
I guess that is what I'll have to do, though it will probably look kinda messed up in the end. I was planning on painting it myself anyway, I just didn't trust myself with the body work.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
I guess that is what I'll have to do, though it will probably look kinda messed up in the end. I was planning on painting it myself anyway, I just didn't trust myself with the body work.
Really? Its rusty? I figured a Texas car would be a great foundation to learn on.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Body work..

When my wife's Charger needed quarters, floors, and a trunk floor, I got all kinds of ridiculous estimates. So we bought a welder, compressor, and some other tools and did the body work ourselves. It ain't perfect, but we get better with each one. We had someone else do the final paint on that one, but we have since painted 2 cars ourselves. They look pretty good from about 50 feet away going over 100 mph at night. :lol: The good thing is you can get some single stage paint for under 200 bucks and if you screw it up, who cares, sand it off and spray it again. The primer and sealer is high though. But body work sucks no matter what.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in