Bash Black trucks....Smokin - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bash Black trucks....Smokin

I am a little too far a way to attend but I'll be there next year.
My brother got these short videos :!:

I am that what others do not want to be. I go where others fear to go and do what others fail to do. I ask nothing from those who give nothing and reluctantly accept the thought of eternal misunderstanding and disrespect: I am an American fighting Man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Guys,

Again, the rest of the story. Back last August when we had our drag boat races at Livermore, we had several quests from out of town. Wes and Dave said they wanted to bring along Wes's drag truck and run it. I told them it may be fast, but it still couldn't "walk on water", but that we could go to the drag strip with it on Saturday night.

So they made plans to do that and meanwhile I contacted the father and son team of Carl & George Keown and told them that some bad-*** boys from Missouri were coming and looking for them. Something about they had heard of a fast Ford pick-up truck down here and they were wanting a piece of it. Well that made the fur stand up on the back of Carl's neck and George got all swelled up & mad,,,,,,and the match race was on. Best 2 out of 3, Pro tree and I was putting the money up.

So despite the high tensions that I had helped create, the race was run and both trucks were extremely close with George winning the grudge race that Saturday in August. In the finals run I think it was a 5.92 to a 5.93 e.t. Both trucks had run real high 5.80's I think during time trials. Ford racers Randy Malik, David Willingham, J.K. Smith and others were there, and everybody seemed to enjoy the action.

As is the most always the case, both racers wanted to step up over the winter, and they did. Wes was running a 557 stock block engine and came and got a new block and set of TFS A-460 heads from Lem and built a 572 CID engine. The Keown's were already running a 572 A-460 block and a set of TFS A-460 heads that Lem and Bob had built, but the heads were not ported. So over the winter I ported and flowed the heads, (did some of my best work) and Jet Boat Bob buttoned the engine back up.

Fast forward to April 28 and another match race is scheduled again at Windy Hollow. Both trucks ran a bunch of consistent time trial runs in the mid 5.70's both Friday and Saturday. Over the winter each team was a little worried about how much the other team was going to step up, and the ironic thing is they both stepped up the same amount. About 1.5 to 1.7 tenths.

We all agree that we had cooler air in April than we did in August, so that will certainly be a part of it. On the final run Saturday night, George ran his best e.t. of the weekend with a 5.73 e.t. and won the match race again.

Further note. Guys these racing engines need to be serviced. The Keown's have a Peterson wet/vac belt driven oil pump set-up and I installed one of the big Peterson inline oil filters on the scavenge side of the AN-16 pick-up line. During the oil change this week, George was checking and cleaning out that scavenge filter and found some needle bearings and a piece of a roller wheel. So, of course the valve covers came off then and George had a broken roller rocker arm tip. Broken rocker arms, broken valve springs, and broken roller lifters are things that just happen because of fatique life, and you never know when they are going to break, so carry spares and develop a maintence schedule as if your race car where a military aircraft.

Later,

Charlie Evans
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Awesome!......And Charlie a lot of people need to read your last paragraph over and over to get it to sink in......thanx for sharing.............D

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Here's some more shots of Carl and George's truck. I love the little extra's they put on there too. 8)

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Pat them boy's truck rocks :!: I had a chance to talk with them they are great people.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in