I would like to know, if anyone can tell me - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to know, if anyone can tell me

How we in the Ford camp are so blessed with so many Gurus who are so knowledgeable on Fords.
There was one at the Dragstrip one night,whom I have known for years was walking down the return road talking with another man I did not know, neither saw me standing two cars down from my car. He stopped in front of the car I was standing beside turned & pointed to my mustang an said,"that was my car, all he has done is painted it" Sure it was, I have only had it since 1987 and raced it all that time and done nothing but paint it! I asked the man I bought the body from in 87 & he and the one he bought it from both said the same thing, "hellno that sob has never owned that car"!

Yesterday, I stopped at AZ to pick up a few things, another Ford racer? is a manager there and is always building a badazz ride for NMRA, (I've never seen but one of them & it couldnt get down the track with him driving) like the above I have known him for 20 plus years. I was telling him of the latest machine shop fiasco on mine where it lasted 12 passes before siezing. I told him "I should have known better than to have ----------- engine works do my machine work", He asks "why" angrily b/c that is his buddy. I said, " well the rod journals are 2.500 right?" He nods, "turn it .010 leaves what?" he replies 2.490, " I said " the crank miked 2.4915 on #1 & 8. "Oh, thats not his fault the clearance is built into the bearing"! I just shook my head & left the building. Partly my fault for taking his word and not using a mic for myself.
How do we get so many of these?

Bad Company Till the day I die!

Bob Carr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Bcr, funny stories, but I gotta say that anything more technical than a set of Lego blocks will attract know-it-all's, guru's, and "professionals" in the field. Thankfully, it is not limited to Fords. When I worked at a gun store, we would hear from two or three "ex-snipers" or "ex-Navy Seals" a day. Nevermind that we had training from factory rep's and licensed gunsmiths. At car shows and swap meets, I can't believe the "guru's" you hear walking around. At the Charlotte swap meet in April, I was with my dad who was selling some NOS Corvette parts. Guys were arguing with him as to what year the parts were made, where they went, and so on. Jeesh!

I think it's a very warped form of insecurity. Someone has to puff himself up to get the recognition and admiration he can't get by being himself, or he has to knock you down in some way to make himself feel better. Just feel sorry for them like I do and avoid them afterwards.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

This same one that said my car was his is "building a 66 fastback on a "Pro Mod" chassis that is in fact a square tube, ladder bar chassis that came out from under a 67 fastback owned by the same man that I bought the body of mine from. The chassis he is telling everyone he is "building' is the one that JSracing has under his 69 now, that IS a Pro Mod chassis built by Pro Max, NOT the square tube he has.

Bob Carr

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Sounds like we race at the same track!! Which track do you race at??
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Fulton, Blue Mtn., & Byhalia. Loading up in a few to go to Fulton for first time since Sept. Whur you stays at Jones?

Bob Carr
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 AM

And parts store know-it-alls are the worst.

I bought a "99% finished" BB Fox project from the local AutoZone hot rod guru a few years back. Lets see... The flat tappet cam had 4 flat lobes, He had ground the beams on the rods incorrectly, and had 4 CJ style and 4 pass style rods installed. The 9" gearset had been set up totally wrong and would have been ruined if I had not inspected before use. I had to re-tube 2 header tubes because he had smashed them flat with a hammer trying to fit a full-size starter with solenoid attached. He had cut the choke horns off the carbs with what could only have been a chain-saw. And ground on the tunnel ram trying to fit a large-cap distributor in front of it. He had the three-piece swap mounts assembled backward so the engine set about 6" forward of the firewall.... I could go on and on. Luckily I didn't pay much for the mess, and came out ok on the parts I was able to salvage.

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com
'69 Mach1 390 4-spd, '64 Falcon Futura
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Everytime I go home I always end up meeting a bunch of people that were prior military. About 98% of the ex-marines I talk to were supposedly Force Recon, sure like I believe that one. About half the ex-army guys say they were snipers. Now I'm not a marine but I am an army sniper and I do know that the school has a 78% failure rate so how can there be so many of us around? I'm calling [email protected]#$%!!!

I love their stories about what they supposedly did when they were overseaes but none of them can even pronounce the name of whatever town they were in correctly.

My favorite ones are the marines because at least half of them tell me some crazy story about something they did in Iraq that sounds exactly like one of Carlos Hathcocks' stories.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr466
This same one that said my car was his is "building a 66 fastback on a "Pro Mod" chassis that is in fact a square tube, ladder bar chassis that came out from under a 67 fastback owned by the same man that I bought the body of mine from. The chassis he is telling everyone he is "building' is the one that JSracing has under his 69 now, that IS a Pro Mod chassis built by Pro Max, NOT the square tube he has.
He should have to pay the bill for it too, since he claims it. :shock:
I wonder how he plans to get a Mild steel square tube chassis to certify for Pro Mod? :? Wish him good luck on that from me.

Sounds like someone's son I know from black Jack. Except we know it isn't him because he drives all BowTired stuff.

Ex Spurts are everywhere. You ever notice how smart they are, but they never seem to help a situation out any. No solutions, just all the answers. :roll:

Good luck @ Fulton. Tell Mr. frank I said tighten up.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:40 PM
DGS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You gotta love the guys that post but never have raced in the past 5 years also. :roll:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGS
You gotta love the guys that post but never have raced in the past 5 years also. :roll:
You think someone has to have raced in the last 5 years to know useful information :?: I didn't realize this was a "current racers only" website. :roll:

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com
'69 Mach1 390 4-spd, '64 Falcon Futura
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM

"White Feather" was the man.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Fulton, Blue Mtn., & Byhalia. Loading up in a few to go to Fulton for first time since Sept. Whur you stays at Jones?
Philadelphia, Ms. Race at Battlefield Raceway.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGS
fortunately I have another year or so b4 it will be five years.

You also have to love guys that dont post, but go every week to the track and get their Azzes handed to them. :P
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The "ex-spurts" are the reason I stopped going to cruise nights / car shows and only like racing now. It's easy to brag how quick your bad-*** ride is with brakes powered off of manifold vacuum is, it something else to prove it.

Faster cars, running tractors, and rain in TX - I can dream
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones
Quote:
Philadelphia, Ms. Race at Battlefield Raceway.
Jones, was that once known as Preston? or another one? If so where is Battlefield located?

Jerry, my grandsoninlaw helped me put the lower side back & he let some of the needle bngs fall out of U joint, so I was on my way home 1 hr after we got there. The LF strut rod threads stripped also & left it with neg caster(hard to drive). An aftermarket front end would be nice in place of this 40 yr old stuff.

FE_rex, very same reason I stopped going to those too! That and those lies about how "I" built this or "I" designed this piece and me knowing that their MONEY bought it, they couldnt build a neat stack of turds.

Bob Carr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in