Magnafuel pump failure - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Magnafuel pump failure

Ok I bought a magnafuel pump because the are supposed to be for sustained use and I drive my car on the street some. I got a prostar 500, put it on last weekend and got the car running. I finished up a few things on the car over the week and took it out for a drive yesterday. The pump started to sound terrible, others on the forum mentioned that there pumps were pretty loud too so I figured it was ok. Well, on my way home the car quit because the pump locked up. I tried to start the car and the battery was low and wouldn't turn the engine fast enough to start it. called my dad and he brought our trailer and took the car home. put a charger on the battery and the car turned over fine, but still no pump. got under the car to check power to the pump and it had good power but I noticed that all of the plastic was melted off the ground wire. This pump pumped about 5 gallons of fuel before it died, what is going on Here? 550 dollars for a pump and thats what you get? Anyone else have problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to powerstrokeace
Have you tried contacting Magnafuel. Talk to rob (if my memory is right). I hope you run a fuel filter befor the pump because if the pump locks up it usualy from objects from something else. this is most likely why the wire melted.
Ace
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i got the pump with the pump and filter combo.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Did you run a return or dead head it .

www.shazampulling.com

The older I get the less I seem to know.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

It is dead headed. It uses a built in return on the pump and a non bypass style regulator. I ran the fuel system exactly as the diagram shows in the directions with the pump.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Not good at all. I too have a prostar 500 after my holley 350dominator pump failed..I have a bit of street time on my prostar 500 and it has been real good and i find it quiet though it is rubber mounted. Mine is dead headed too as per their recommendations with a 9833 large 2 port reg.

My friend here is a magnafuel distributor and we have had zero issues and have sold a lot of their pumps. Get in touch with magnafuel and see what they say. I have had good email feedback from them when i asked a question on whether the pressure could be lowered for street driving to help the pump stay cooler. Here is their reply to maybe help someone .

If your going to street drive it lowering the pressure is better. At the race track you would want to set it back at the 28 psi. The lower pressure will make the pump run cooler.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM

I run mine on the street all the time. I have probably put 4-500 miles on it so far. It is LOUD though. Maybe need to invest in one of those rubber isolators, but the only problem I have encountered is sometimes the 9833 regulator will creep like mad and just drown the engine. Turn the switch off and get it cleared out and it will be fine. I still run my pump at the factory setting(because I cant figure out how to change it :roll: doesn't matter though.)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 PM

I didn't think the 500 was for continuous use?

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Yes the 500 is for continuous use as advertised by magnafuel anyway.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I guess magnafuels tech line is not open on sundays, I got no answer. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. Now it's time to see if they stand behind there product(like so many companies do not). I'll let everyone know how there customer service is.

Thanks, Derek
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
low voltage?

I wonder if the low battery voltage could have done some damage? They are designed to run with a specific voltage, and if its not there... current goes up, which causes major heat.

Just a thought.

Tom
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A few opinions.

The Magnafuels 500 pump comes with decent sized gage wire to carry the increased amperage loads, if they are melted you might have a short somewhere. Are you using relays, or is the pump wired directly to the rocker switch? Trash isn't good for any brand pump & can lock them up. Even when a filter is used some trash can find it's way inside the pump. Freshly assembled steel braided lines & fittings need to be washed out before being used (grit from the chop saw wheel really builds up inside when cutting the line). Especially true for the pump-to-regs-to-carb(s) lines because when you turn off the pump fuel back-wash can pull dirt/trash trapped in the line back down the line inside the pump (especially front mounted cells/pumps).

While the 500 pump might be thought of as "constant use" rated, dead heading any brand pump at 28-35 lbs of line pressure for extended periods of time (street use) would be hard on any high psi pump. Just look at the monster 500 pump, it is really best suited for WOT racing. In my opinion it's kinda over-kill to use this pump for street use. While your sitting at a stop light (or at part throttle) it's building heat, dead headed & fighting to push un-needed 28-35 lbs of line pressure while idling or at slow cruse speeds.

Also, don't forget to use the correct higher pressure regulators meant for the 500's higher pressure output, this can save you from future headaches. A friend was fighting pressure problems when he first got a 500 pump. He tried to make his Holley and Barry Grant regulators work, but only Magnafuels regulators (meant for that pump) worked correctly.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

it is wired with a relay and i used brake cleaner and compressed air to blow out all of my lines first. The thing I don't get is that the power wire looks like it never ever got hot, but the ground is smoked.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Sorry to hear about your pump. I'm using the 500 in my Fairlane, and so far so good. I have a couple hundred miles, and 15 passes on the 1/8. I bought mine used off ebay, and it was the style without the filter attached, but I used a Magnafuel filter before the pump, and another before my regulator.

Did you use at least -08 on the vent line? Did you run the return off the pump to the tank with -08 line? I'm feeding it with -12 line, and out with -10 to a Magnafuel big port regulator. I also ran 10 gauge wire for the ground and hot, through a relay, and a 30 amp fuse which comes directly off the battery in the trunk (very short run). Is your battery in the trunk or up front? What size wire did you use for power and ground? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm just going over what works for me, to make sure you only have a bad pump, and nothing else made it that way.

Also, my pump is very quiet, and you can just about hear it run. I isolated it with the Magnafuel rubber mount, and added sway bar mounts to the bottom of the bracket I made up to further isolate it from metal. Here's a couple pics of my setup.

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

i use -12 in and -10 out, -8 vent, -8 return, battery is in trunk using a relay, #10 wire maybe 18 inches long. ground is about 8 inches long. everything is done by the book on this system that's why i'm so suprised something went wrong. I mounted the pump with isolators on the bottom and an isolated clamp on the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in