T56? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

T56?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T56-t...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think? Will this trans work with my 460? What bellhousing and such would I need? Is tehre a different type of T56 that would work better? This one is about 5 minutes from me so i'm thinking maybe I should snatch it up if the price stays reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
That trans works very well on the 460 Factory Five Cobra's. Check out this link here for alot of ideas, pics, and posts. I had alot of ideas here when I was first thinking about putting my 4-speed back in the Fairlane.

http://www.ffcobra.com/ubb/ultimateb...orum/f/42.html

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Didn't come up with much on a search there except two possible sources for some parts for the swap, of course Mustang and Cobra specific. I would be putting the T56 in a '68 Galaxie.

Issues I need to figure out (off the top of my mind):
bellhousing
spacer/new input shaft?
speedometer drive?
throwout bearing/clutch actuation setup

Just need to know if this is all possible to work out. my big concern right now, since I'm pretty sure someone makes a bellhousing or a toploader bellhousing can be adapted, is the speedometer drive. Is this T56 ('06 SRT10) an electronic pickup for the speedometer? If so can it be converted to a regular gear driven mechanical speedometer drive? The way I see it is if I can't have my factgory speedometer and odometer working properly there's no point in buying this trans, however affordable and convenient it may be. These are all things I need to know in the next 13 and a half hours before the auction ends.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 AM

IMO I would look at something in the TKO 600 line over the T56 Trans.

1990 GT, 347 / 76mm turbo setup OUT AND GONE!

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Why is that? Stronger? More 'old car friendly'? Cheaper? What are the differences between the T56 and TKO 500/600?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 AM

TKO 600 is the newer design, bolts to the same bell as the T56 / Old style top loader. IMO more street friendly, will take the power of the big block a little more readily. AND if you have the TKO faceplated and upgraded a little more. They say they will handle more power. I have a friend going low 10's high 9's in his small block nitrous car with the Faceplated TKO 600. Its a little hard to downshift driving it around on the street I think but worth it when you look at the abuse it will take.

I think the T56 would be a good trans to. Especially if the price was right. Just offering suggestions.

1990 GT, 347 / 76mm turbo setup OUT AND GONE!

New setup going in. Dove headed 545 with a plate kit to 400, progressive, Th400 etc. etc. etc.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I like the idea of a .5:1 overdrive of the T56. The location is great (no need to pay for shipping), and of course the price seems pretty good so far. If the T56 auction doesn't pan out then perhaps a TKO 600 would be another option.

This car is my daily driver so long as there's no snow on the ground, so I'd really like overdrive. I wanted to do gears so I got a 9 inch that I'm in the process of putting in. I was just gonna set up one center section with a set of 2.50:1 gears I have for the lots of highway miles I put on the car and another with 4.11:1 and a spool to throw in now and again for fun.

A T56 with it's tall overdrive would let me run pretty much whatever gear I want and still keep a great highway RPM. Cost is a huge factor for me though so if I can find a TKO 600 for less than a T56 that's probably the way I'll go.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
I'm sorry Cadunkle....I confused the T56 for the TKO. ops: No wonder you didn't find anything. Sorry about that.

This guy is a vendor on that site, and he has alot of clutch solutions for just about anything.

http://www.fortesparts.com/

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:39 PM

I love my T56. Except for the reverse lockout solenoid.
I used a lakewood bellhousing with a McLeod adapter plate and clutch gear.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 01:18 PM

If you use a TKO600 with a shortened input shaft you do not need to use any adapters between the bell and the trans. Mike Fortes can help you with all your questions.

513cid BBF in an FFR Replica
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Reverse lockout solenoid

The reverse lockout solenoid can be removed, or replaced with a custom ball/plunger plug to offer some resistance when going into R. Or, you can simply wire it to the brake pedal switch. No big deal.

However, even without it I really don't see you accidentally shifting into reverse...it's at the end of the pattern; you'd have to screw up big to do that. You won't likely be powershifting 5th...and if you meant 3rd and hit R, you have issues that any transmission can't fix.

Strength of the T56 vs TKO600 is equivalent; there are Vipers in the 8's on T56 boxes. Shifting feel of the T56 is far superior if you intend to do any road-race style driving...it is a very smooth shifting transmission. And, like any manual trans...yes, you can break it if you try hard enough.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM

T56

Cory, go to Mcleod's website as they have a new modular bellhousing that makes this swap pretty simple. I'll be using it for my cyclone along with their hydraulic throwout bearing setup. This should help you ballpark the approximate cost. Don't forget possible tranny tunnel work, a crossmember may have to be fabricated, and shortening your driveshaft or going parts scrounging to find one that's close. This'll be the third car I've done either a T5 or a T56 tranny swap on and hopefully I've got it done to a science...sort of.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 AM

T56

I don't know if this is what you came up with on the search but it's worth looking at:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...Swap/index.php

I have $3,500 in these parts:
McCleod 64305-00-07 Fly Assm
McCleod 8746-03 Bellhousing Kit
McCleod 14005-30 Hyd T.O. w/Slave Cyl
McCleod 1439 Spacer for T.O.
Tremec TKO-600 # TCET-4617
You can save a bunch of $$$ not going w/hyd throw out bearing or buying the trans used. The TKO-600's can be found every once in a while on the Corral classifieds. Lee

'85 GT 7.5L daily driver w/466 ci
1/4 ET:[email protected] N/A, [email protected] w/ a little N2O
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Resurrecting this thread as if all goes well I will be picking up a T56 from an '02 Camaro either today or tomorrow, depending on when the guy calls me. It's fairly local and the price is right so I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the trans, and maybe in two weeks or so I can get moving on doing the swap. Is the general concensus still that McLeod is the best option for fit and finish?

I do have a Ford 460 toploader/NP435 manual trans bellhousing as I was gonna do a toplaoder due to cost of T56. Can that bellhousing be made to work with the T56? Just want to know all my options

I tried calling McLeod but of course they have no one available for us normal guys to talk to on the weekends. It's hard to find time to take care of all this car stuff and phone calls 9-5 Mon-Fri because I'm working and it's hard to find downtime long enoguh to make these types of calls. Anyhow, I guess I'll have to call on Monday.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Bellhousing

The adapter plate like the one on mine adapts to a lakewood bellhousing which has the standard transmission pattern. All of the fasteners that go into the transmission side of the interface are flat-head screws, leaving a flush surface. I see no reason why you couldn't install the exact same adapter onto your bellhousing and save the cost of the lakewood. If McLeod doesn't offer the plate anymore, try Forte parts connection.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in