will someone explain how stall converters work to me? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

will someone explain how stall converters work to me?

im new to automatics and i dont have a clue on how stalls work, whats to big for the street, how do you choose a stall converter for street/strip duty, whats best for my combo, does a 4000 stall mean that it flashes at 4000 or the car wont move with foot on gas and break until 4k. basically anything you guys can school me on the subject would be greatly appreciated. thanx in advance.

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Choosing the right stall converter is best left to a knowledable converter manufacturer. They will ask you for a lot of info like camshaft timing, rear end gear, car weight, type of carburetion etc.

They will recommend a size and stall based on a lot of experience and trial and error testing they have done.

Stall is generally how high the rpm will go with the trans locked and the engine at full throttle. (on the trans brake)

On a foot brake car where you stand on the brakes and rev the engine until the rear tire just starts to turn you generally see that stall being a little lower. Then when you let off the brake and mash the gas to the floor the converter will flash to a higher rpm that is probably close to the regular stall rating.

Every car and every combo is different so like I say best to pick a good suppplier close to where you live and have him recomend something. Then if it doesnt work out they will often adjust it for a small fee. sometimes even free if they miss the mark by a lot the first time.

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
289 4 spd 68 Mustang Fastback
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 PM

I have a 3500 stall,haven't used it in a while but its' like this, well at least mine is. It is fairly loose,or mooshy like,just as if your clutch was going,but the closer you get to the 3500rpm this firmer it is grabbing,by the time you reach your stall rating it should be pretty much locked up,and your lanching from 3500,not 800 or so like a factory stall.
Also you really want to match your stall with your engine,no use have a stall if you don't need one.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would highly recommend PTC converters. I do not work for them etc. I have bought 2 converters from them and they were right on with what I wanted and I have had no problems with them. http://www.ptcrace.com/
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Blake

Blake

580 inch Ported P-51's
1003 hp @7200 810 tq @ 6100
86 Notch
29.5x13.5 Ladder Bar
1.200 60ft 5.41 @ 127.78 mph 8.51 @ 156 mph
200 shot 5.23 135 mph 1.13 60 ft. on the rear tire.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Steve, Call Kenny Ford @ PTC and ask him this same question. It won't cost you a dime for the answer. He's the man. He came up racing like we did. I used to race footbrake with him and his brother Sam at blue Mntn.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Okay guys I'm gonna hijack this thread a little , tell me if this is right,
I have a C-6 with a full manual reverse pattern valve body, a 3000 rpm stall converter, when I take off in 1st gear it does'nt stall at all as I shift up it does'nt stall, the only time it stalls is when I downshift from 3rd or 2nd to first and jump on it, then it stalls at 3000 (also creates a big grin ). Does this sound right? I've had 2 different converters in the car and it is worked the same way with both
Thanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220...rque+converter.

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

thanx for all the replies guys. jerry, i'll give kenny a call and ask him 1001 questions. :lol: i appreciate you guys answering my questions, please forgive my ignorance....im still learning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in