welding axle tubes to center on 8.8... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

welding axle tubes to center on 8.8...

how do you weld the axle tubes to the center on an 8.8 rear? what process, and what filler rod? tig? I have one I need to do, thanks.

wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm no chassis builder just a past drag racer and hobbist. Many fabricated professional housings are tig welded and are beautifuly done. but I dont know that its a must do.

I have never done an 8.8 but done several 9 inches and a 8 inch mopar. I have alway beveled the ends of the tubes and bearing caps for weld penatrations and to keep the weld flat for appearance. kept it in the narrowing jig, wire weldeded it and kept in the jig and kept it in the jig untill it returned to normal temp before unjigging.

Not sure but I think the 9 inch, GM 12 bolt and the 8.8 ford all has the same inner bearing diameter of 3.060. I bought my jig from Alston Chassis a lot of years ago.

I have never had any issues with the few I have done for myself and a few friends.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 02:04 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Its a dissimilar weld a tig or mig process works fine with the proper rod and gas and a little preheat. It should be done in a jig and make sure everything is strait and good to go befor welding. The weld is a one time thing on them, you can't go back and do it again as the metal on the center gets brittle and will crack if you try it twice.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 PM

I had Currie do mine. They didn't want to do it, they said it wouldn't work, but since they had my rear, I had them do it anyway. Hasn't cracked...

John Strube
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 PM

I have done lots of them.I tig them if the housing is out.but I have also mig them while still in the car with no problems .just clean it real good ether way will work fine.you should also run axle support braces they are needed more then welding the tubes
ANDY SMITH
PROTREE RACE CARS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It best to take the housing out of the car and weld it in a jig fixture and have it straitened and make sure every thing is aligned and absolutley clean before welding. It also makes it much easier to weld.

The whole purpouse of doing this it to get everything strait and make it stronger. The factory housings are usualy bent and misaligned and this can lead to traction issues and failures.

If your not a competent welder and do not have access to a jig, its best to have it done professionaly and honestly it pretty cheap to have a shop do it, by the time you set up a jig and bar and figure you time.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

thanks for the replys guys..... I was going to use the alignment bar and put 9 in ends on it . tig is not a problem I was wondering what filler rod to use?

wayne
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in