Lowest (numerically) 9" gear ratio? 2.00:1 possible? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lowest (numerically) 9" gear ratio? 2.00:1 possible?

Got a scheme bouncing around in my head and it requires some very high rear gears (high ratio, low number). I have a 9" rear and it's a street car. Are there any common or easy to obtain ratios in the 2:1 area? I've seen plenty of factory 2.75:1, but was wondering if there was anything even more long-legged than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM

I have a 2.50:1 9 inch gearset in my garage. I'm thinking about using it in my Galaxie. have one set up with 4.11:1 and one with 2.50:1 so when I take long trips (a couple times a year) I can just swap in the 2.50:1 center section and my wallet will thank me. I do have a 3.00:1 already set up though so maybe I'll just use that and keep a little performance in my economy gearset? *sigh* Eventually I'll just get an overdrive transmission.

Anyhow, I think the 2.50:1 gearsets were pretty common in the big Lincolns. Not sure about anything lower though. What do you have up your sleeve with this project, if I may inquire?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I think I have heard of the 2.50 ratio. Didn't know they were that common though. I'll have to look for that ratio. Well, my E4OD is sitting too low in my '69 mustang after I finally took the time to set my driveline angles. To add to that issue, the tranny is pretty wide and I guess it needs some snap ring replaced and there's no speedometer gear. On top of that, I need the Baumann trans controller (already have it but I could use that on my 4R70W instead) and a good torque converter. So it's not feasible to use the E4OD at this point. Soooo, I was looking into the TKO 600 but they are a bit pricey and the main complaint about them is the difficult/notchy/slow shifting. That's the same major issue with using the S5-42 ZF 5 speed trans used in the ford trucks with 460. It has a really low first gear so I need a low number rear to make it useful. I can deal with the far forward shifter location due to my motor being moved back 8" from stock and the 2.50 (or lower if available) gears will keep me in each gear longer so the slow shifts won't matter as much. Since I have no firewall or trans tunnel yet, I can make the ZF work and it won't hang down as low as the E4OD pan. The other bonus of using the granny gear and then overdrive is I'll have very low cruising rpms to maximize gas mileage (prob cruise in 4th except on interstate when I can kick it up into 5th and maybe go 70mph at or under 1500rpm). So that's my plan, buy a 2wd ZF trans, go with the tall rear gears, and hopefully it shifts good enough for me. Since it's not a track car, I don't care much about consistent fast shifts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson
Well, my E4OD is sitting too low in my '69 mustang after I finally took the time to set my driveline angles. To add to that issue, the tranny is pretty wide and I guess it needs some snap ring replaced and there's no speedometer gear. On top of that, I need the Baumann trans controller (already have it but I could use that on my 4R70W instead) and a good torque converter. So it's not feasible to use the E4OD at this point.Since I have no firewall or trans tunnel yet, I can make the ZF work and it won't hang down as low as the E4OD pan.
You just described why I've been happily propelled by a Lentech Strip Terminator AOD overdrive transmission for many years now (rated for 1,000 HP - 1,500 HP available).
https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=2797

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

I just don't know how long an AOD, no matter how well built, will last behind 900-1000hp and the same for torque. Not saying it wouldn't hold it, but I'd like to maximize the trans life as it'll be a 100% street car and I want to go on some distance trips with it. I know my '99 4R70W can be pretty stout for a minimal amount of $$$ (I have a 10" Level 10 converter with anti-balloon plate and I'll put in a good shift kit) but I don't think it'd hold up. I'm also looking into the Toyota R154 as a possible option.

I still think the E4OD would be a nice trans, if I didn't have my motor set so far back and I had the $$$ to get a good converter and have it gone through with the basic mods and speedo toothed output shaft. Oh well...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bbstickstang
when i got a lincoln varsallies disc brake 9" for my pro street 56 f-100 PU, the center section had a 2.47 it it. i think my motor would RPM about 1600 at 55 with 31 mudders on my 69 f-100 and get around 16 mpg with a modded 300 w/t-18...........ron

[email protected] New best, 1.31 60', 12-5-15 All Muscle and No Steroids!
69fb mustang ,509,Liberty Equalizer,5.29 ,31x10.5 w ,3309 w/driver.
I get to feel the torque of a BBF 4 times an 1/8 and 5 times a 1/4.
www.classicgearjammers.org
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Yep, the 2.47 was the lowest numerical gear used in the 9" and was used behind the 302/351M/400 cars, the 460 got the 2.50 for whatever reason.

Rick S.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Look for a 1978

The 2.5 ratio gear sets that I have seen in a nine inch were all in 460 powered cars, and all of which were in (only) 1978 Full Size Fords and Mercurys. I suspect that Lincolns might have been the same. Prior to 1978 the 2.75 seems to be the common ratio, along with the 3.00.

The 351 and 400 engined cars that I have seen used the other rear axle, none the nine inch.

I cannot say for ratios after 1978, I quit looking after I found what I needed so I don't know much after that date of manufacture.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Look for a 1978

The 2.5 ratio gear sets that I have seen in a nine inch were all in 460 powered cars, and all of which were in (only) 1978 Full Size Fords and Mercurys. I suspect that Lincolns might have been the same. Prior to 1978 the 2.75 seems to be the common ratio, along with the 3.00.

The 351 and 400 engined cars that I have seen used the other rear axle, none the nine inch.

I cannot say for ratios after 1978, I quit looking after I found what I needed so I don't know much after that date of manufacture.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to psquare75
My 78 Cougar, with a 351W came with 2.47:1 9"rear.

Can you say dog?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So far as the aftermarket is concerned, 2.84 seems to be the lowest commonly available new, nowadays. Good used carriers with 2.50 gears are fairly easy to find, & cheap.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in