Wheelie Bars, How long? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wheelie Bars, How long?

44" or 60" for a Fox Chassis car.

I don't want a real long wheelie bar sticking out past the back bumper.

The X-brace bars are 60" long, I really like them because you have more space to get a Jack under the back of the car. The other set are 44" with a straight support bar at the wheels, a little less expensive but shorter which I like.

Opinions please :mrgreen:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Damon I am probably going to get a set of 44's for mine so far I haven't needed them but I figure soon it will be needed so prepair for that now I can put them on and just have the brackets in place just incase :shock: I like wheelies but not as bad as yours.

Randy
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969
Damon I am probably going to get a set of 44's for mine so far I haven't needed them but I figure soon it will be needed so prepair for that now I can put them on and just have the brackets in place just incase :shock: I like wheelies but not as bad as yours.

Randy
Randy

First time was a Surprise :shock:
Second time was ....... FUN :mrgreen:
Third time was annoying.... Wanted to see how fast it was going to go off the trailer.

I need your mailing address, I'll give you a ring sometime tonight after I'm finished with my daily 'honey-doos' :lol:

Later

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can buy a pro - sportsman kit from jerry bickel for just under $400 and build a custom length or you can just get the wheel housing kits and wheels and supply your own tubing , rod ends etc. I got 60" with the brace in the top bars the pin / bolt can be removed quickly if you want to raise them higher.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM
richter69

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
60"
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69
60"
Jon,

Yours are 60" correct? Can you post the picture of your wheelie bars again? Or I'll go look for it on the other thread.

Thanks!

Edit: Found it, they don't stick out too far

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM

I've got 54" ones from S&W racecars on my t-bird. There's pretty good jack clearance too.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 PM
richter69

forgot how close the neighbors were at the old place, I love my new house and shop, could have a big get together there....

Those bars only stick out a couple inches past the bumper, looks further in that pic but its not that bad. Again they are there "just in case" as I only get on them a tad, I have um pretty high, again higher than the pic (thats an old pic from like 3 years ago)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Jon,

Chuck has bars on his 70 Mustang and they stick out about the same as yours. I'll have to measure his but I'll bet they are 60"

Thanks for the input guys!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 PM

60 min. shorter is not better. 80" are what mine will be, the last ones I had were 64".

Longer, non spring loaded. Shorter and you may need springs.

Wheelie bars stick out, Unfortunately, its just another pain in the rear you deal with in dragracing. You can get qwik pins at the top to lay them down or take them off for trailer clearance. I had to do this because of the trailer door.
I slide mine under the car once it was loaded, took them off while I was strapping it down.

Get the double adjustable ones with the Rod end on each end of the top bar. That way you won't have to take one side out to raise/lower the bar.
wheelie bars arent just for keeping the car off the bumper, you can use chaulk and let the wheelie bars help you tune the chassis.

Also get the ones that angle the bar into the rear end housing, this adds some strength. Don't get chrome, you'll never keep them clean enough anyway. After one pass they are dirty again. Best to powder coat them.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 PM
TopSportsman916

Damon, go with the 60" bars without the dbl adj spring in the top bars. You won't need them. I had 52" Chris Alston wheelie bars on my 67 Stang & they didn't stick out too far. My 98 has 64" bars & they stick out about 24" to the C/L of the wheels.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:45 PM
dfree383

Damon, Real Men Don't Need Wheelie Bars!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 PM

The longer the better, use round tubing, not that springloaded flat bar junk. With the flat bar they will turn into a S when the car gets on the bars. Our bars are 96" from center of the housing to the center of the wheelie bar wheel.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 PM
richter69

I tend to agree, I have the comp engineering bars and they are ok, but the others are much better. I will be upgrading before the new motor goes in.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:18 PM

Damon,

I honestly think if you work on the front rear suspension you won't need the wheelie bars. They are a good thing for those surprises but I wouldn't use them as a fix all to keep your car on the ground. If you break one it's almost a guarantee you will go into the wall.

I just wouldn't feel safe riding the bars as far down the track as your car appears it will do as setup now.

IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in