Opinion on Iowa - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Opinion on Iowa

Im looking to relocate from Southern California and I have an chance to get a good deal on a house in Odebolt, Iowa in Sac County. I am relocating for economical reasons. I worked in a warehouse since I was 16 and now I have ruined my back at the age of 23. Im trying to relocate and start over. Any opinions on the area would be appreciated. I also have to try to find some part time work to pay the bills while I go to school so any information on employers would be appreciated. Sorry if this post is a little vague but maybe someone on here will have some insight on the area?

Thanks,
Tyler

FAST CHEAP RELIABLE.....you can only pick 2!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/alotaball/sig.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 PM

I lived near Fort Dodge when I was young and Odebolt is somewhat near there. Honestly, it's pretty much just flat farm ground with republican farmers. Winters are cold and very windy. Summers are hot and humid. There really isn't much going on in this state. I enjoy the southern part of the state better. It's more rolling hills and trees but it's more redneck and poor. There's not much for jobs here but cost of living is cheap. I think in general the people here are a bit nicer than those in the north half of the state. For entertainment you can either listen to the corn grow on calm nights or maybe golf during the day. Seriously, I find it a very backward state. I don't think there's much for people between the ages of 18 and 65. Most gas stations let you pay inside after you fill up and we regularly leave our cars running, unlocked, while we are grocery shopping during the winter. I dunno though, maybe this is your sort of thing. I lived in Phoenix for a bit and it's certainly a change compared to here. We're also at least 5 years behind any trends. Mullets are still to be found here and there as are tight bleached jeans with holes in the knees. Import "ricers" have just started to show up in the last two years. If it were me, I'd look into Missouri instead. The central part of the state is pretty nice from what I've seen. My friend lives in Sedalia and likes it there. It's more scenic, the weather isn't as bad in the winter, traffic tickets are cheaper, and it's more economically active. The southern part of Missouri is pretty hickish. The Ozarks are nice but it's the redneck Las Vegas (if you can picture such a thing).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 PM

Iowa defined; cold winters - hot summers...no spring or fall...

468CI
1975 460 bored .040
Balanced, cam degreed
10.4 to 1
C8VE - E adjustable rocket arm heads
Lunati Bracket Master II cam
Stealth dual plan intake

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prchrman
Sounds like Ohio without the rust
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by prchrman
Sounds like Ohio without the rust
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Wow!!

I agree that living in the rural part of the state is somewhat tame,but living around the capital city of Des Moines or maybe Iowa City, home of the Hawkeyes is far from boring.In Des Moines I can go to a cruise- in 4 nights a week,I can drive 30 minutes to go to Iowa State university and watch sporting events,or see them also at Drake university right in town,(including the drake relays). There are at least 4 dirt race tracks within 1 hrs. driving distance, not to mention Knoxville Speedway, home of the Outlaws sprint cars.Lets not forget the recently completed Newton Speedway Asphalt track designed by Rusty Wallace just 30 minutes East.Some sort of high speed race every two weeks or so all summer long, with friday nite test, tune and grudge 1/8th mile drag racing.Eddyville speedway 1/8th mile program every Saturday nite, 1 hr. SE of town.Plus numerous art shows, Broadway shows and etc. coming to town all year long.
As far as the weather goes,its no colder or hotter than Illinois, Ohio, or any other state in the midwest.Less tornados than Kansas,less rain than Seattle,more rain than Vegas,no Hurricanes,earthquakes,and our governor wasn't an action hero actor.
There's also some of the best deer hunting, fishing,and mushroom hunting in the country.More golf courses than you can play in a years time, and yes, lots of salt in the winter to rust your cars.
I gues I have ranted enough, but there is more to central Iowa than you might think.Andy.

P.S. Wife just reminded me of the horse racing and gambling at Prairie Meadows racetrack 15 minutes east of town in Altoona.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys... I dont mind the slow down from over here in Southern Cali. Guess I just wanted to hear some opinions. Its getting way to stressful here and I am tired of paying 300k for a 2 bed 1 bath house thats 890 sq ft! Now I cant continue to do this job because of my back I have to go somewhere or I will be bankrupt in no time. If I move there my mortgage will be 200 a month which I hope I can handle even with a minimum wage job while I pursue some kind of career or education. I hope after a couple years to move closer to the capitol or a bigger city. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has made a similiar change from a big city to that kind of rural area and how they felt about it

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, I live within 25 minutes of Lake Ozarks, I love the area, yeah I leave the keys in my van while I'm at work in my shop or wherever here in town. I guess that's the price we/I pay for generally living in a "backward" :roll: area.

Personally, I never went to college and learned everything there is to know about life, communities, religion, philosophy, founding fathers, crooked cops, government, races, cultures, etc., etc. so I would always have the answer for everyone and everything by the time I was 25.

Bret

Pullin For Christ
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Bret , too bad you have shoes and all that jive....other wise we would have liked to had a guy like you in kentucky

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:18 PM

I can understand your desire to split from BerDo. I got outa EllAy, slightly, 17 years ago. We have a population of about 1200, no smog, fields come right up to the pavement, no fast foods, gas stations, 1"market" if you speak the language, no traffic lights or stop signs on the main street which is 4 blocks long. For ME, it's great...never gets over 90 and never freezes, I'm happy here. You're about 3 hours east of me and I've been where you are (TDY to Norton AFB, 6 Mo.) Just remember, if you leave you probably can't afford to come back.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 PM

I live in south central Iowa and I like it. Heck Ihave more into my race truck than I paid for my house if that tells you what you can get a place for. Don't know anything about Sac county but many parts of the state are pretty nice, stay away from the DesMoines, quad cities, iowa cities as the prices are much higher. Don't listen to the detractors of it being backwards, we have the new Newton speedway that has a full race schedual, Knoxville has the sprint cars, and the outlaw nationals. and I have fun with mud racing too.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 AM

alright, alright, maybe it's not completely backwards and terrible and the Ozarks are nice (but it's still definately the redneck Vegas). I've only been out-n-about Iowa City 3 times, but it seems like a pretty decent place. I'm sure the housing costs there are substantially higher than some other parts of the state. Des Moines/Ames isn't too bad, but it isn't really much of a city (I thought Des Moines was pretty 'city' until I lived in Phoenix). As has been said, there's lots of smaller race tracks here and people are generally into cars. I guess it depends on what you want, but the southern third of the state has the scenery and more hunting/fishing while the northern part is more flat land stuff but better as far as jobs. There's still hunting/fishing and whatnot in the north 2/3 of the state, but it's more in small regions and pockets here and there instead of everywhere like the southern part.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM

And since Scott brought up hunting, I live 5 miles from the lake that has held the flat head catfish record since 1958 (83lbs) and live 30 miles from where the current white tail record holder was shot by the 15yr old kid during muzzle loading season., yep good hunting and fishing

On edit I really should just delete this post, cause it will just bring even more people into the area making land prices higher again. :shock:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
On edit I really should just delete this post, cause it will just bring even more people into the area making land prices higher again.

Ill try not to tell anyone else

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM

Rob, sounds like you live VERY close to me. I'm just north of Promise City (west of Centerville 17 miles). In fact, maybe you've seen our critters out running around (400 buffalo). Ah, Lake Ellis. Do you live right in Chariton?

Oh yes, wait until we buy some more land and then tell everyone (who doesn't already know) about the outdoor recreation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in