Weight reduction....gun drilled axles. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Weight reduction....gun drilled axles.

This is tech question, but not about engines, so I put it here.

I sold my dragster a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking at all the various options on new dragsters. I'm also taking a looking at saving weight where possible. I'm going to move from a slip joint to a suspended car. The car will be a swing arm car with a single coilover shock in the rear. I'm also going to a 240" wheelbase vs the old 225". I'm trying to eliminate as much of the ~70-80 lb weight difference as I can without getting too $$$$. ie... no carbon fiber etc.

One of the options is the axles. A set of gun drilled 40 splined axles with the flange milled to a star shape would save 7 lbs over a set of 35 spline std axles with a regular flange. This weight reduction quote is direct from Moser.

How much would this 7 lbs of rotating weight be equal to in static weight off the car elsehere? Is there a formula? Guesses?

My weight savings ideas so far.
1 good battery instead of the 2 group 24's I had. 45 lb savings. I run an alt, so I can get away with one battery.
Std rear wheels vs the non sfi single beadlocks on the old car. About 4 lbs total.
Electric shifter vs CO2, saves about 2 lbs for the electric solenoid vs the bottle, regulator, etc.

So....just round it off to a 50 lbs weight savings so far with no difference in cost.

Thanks
David Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 PM

The best way to have a lightweight race car is to start looking at weight at the start. It is hard to get the weight of a car allready built down. Go for it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Dave,
Also look at an aluminum spool not the small ones but the larger one that will make you accelerate faster and are a lot lighter.Back cut the ring gear also.

Tom Leslie

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think a lot of people run bigger slicks than is necessary also. I run gun drilled axles in my door car , the titanium lug nuts would have been nice , but $$$ :shock: . I fabbed my own motor plate drilled and tapped the water passages and used AN lines to a remote teel 12 volt water pump the pump is only $ 75.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:58 PM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
David, if you want the absolute lightest axles, MW's has their 300M axles. But they are pricey. I run the MW 40 spline superlight gundrilled axles.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Dave,
I know you run a belt driven fuel pump,so you don't have a big electric pump to run down you battery and if you are running a big alternator you can save some weight by using one of the small ones from here. http://www.ecae.com/
That can save a few Lbs.
A small 1 inch wide shifter will help some too.
Light weight gauges also.

Tom Leslie
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
TopSportsman916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsterman
Dave,
I know you run a belt driven fuel pump,so you don't have a big electric pump to run down you battery and if you are running a big alternator you can save some weight by using one of the small ones from here. http://www.ecae.com/
That can save a few Lbs.
A small 1 inch wide shifter will help some too.
Light weight gauges also.
Switch to a 16V battery & you won't need an alternator.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 PM

But going 8 or 9 rounds and not being able to charge between rounds sure would make me mad if I can't start.
Now that's been a long time ago for me the 8+ rounds that is

Tom Leslie
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:20 PM
TopSportsman916

Well I can honestly say that I have made 5 passes w/o charging & the data logger showed 16.2 V every run. It was a straight line on the graph. I understand that you might can't get the charger on very long in the later rounds but early rounds aren't a problem. Try a 16V system. I promise you won't go back to a 12V system. Ask Bobby Z(Bobby 588) about 16V batteries.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Well...uh....ask B. small about or P. Oakley about an alt. or a 16V battery....they aint got one .

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't either :lol: . I only run one 12 volt , now I don't have the data loggers egt and all the fancy electric gadgets.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 PM

I vote for gun drilled axles, lightened or arumirum spool. Then send the ring and pinion to TEX Racing to have them lightened AND REM treated. It's a few bux but you won't believe your eyes when you gettum back.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 AM

You can put on a light weight shock and spring too

Tom Leslie
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Agree with Chris, get the MW 300M gundrilled axles. MW's 300M alloy material allows the axles to be gundrilled to a larger diameter hole than their conventional alloy does. When I changed over a friend's car from MW solid 35 spline axles to their 40 spline 300M gunndrilled axles, I think the weight loss was about 5-7 lbs each axle.

If your using a glide adapter plate, there could be some weight difference between using a Dedenbear case vs a bulkier J.W. case.

Minimal gauges & wiring.

Doesn't the weight difference between a dragster with a 4-link/two shock setup vs a 4-link "swing arm"/single shock setup really become a wash in the end? Wouldn't the extra tubing welded to the bottom 4-link bars that creates the "swing arm" assembly (diagonals & X's that form the triangulated "pyramid" for the single shock mount) come close to offseting the weight of the other shock?

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input so far guys. Good stuff.

Replies to some of the suggestions,

I will prob go with the gun drilled axles and star flanges. Don't know if I can swing the 300m axles or lightened ring gear, but I may try.

I will run 16" wheels, but not the monster size slicks. The 16" wheels will be there for a future upgrade if needed.

I already run the ECAE ultra mini alt. weighs less than 6 lbs including bracket.

For a shifter I will use a Biondo Outlaw. Very small and light.

The gauges will all be lightweight and I will use a K&R wiring kit. The K&R is a really slick deal that uses a single computer type cable from the switch panel to a circuit board that controls everything. Saves alot of wiring and the hassles that go with it.
http://www.krperformance.com/wiringkits.cfm

I have my choice of a fabbed steel (Moser M9) rear end housing or a Strange aluminum rear end. The diff on the rears is a wash. The Strange housing is lighter, but the suspension brackets are heavier. I talked to both Moser and Strange yesterday. Both bare housings with brackets are right around 48 lbs.

I basing the weight of the new car vs old car on one I looked at last week. The car is an American.
http://www.americanracecars.net/
I spent most of a day last week at one of their dealers in N Ga. They had a 514 BBF dragster stocl block, out of the box a heads, new style intake w a carb. It was a 235" swing arm. Fabricated rear housing. Nicely equipped, but not alot of extras. Std axles, 16" rears, etc. With a 235 lb driver it weighed 1910 lbs. So, the car weighed 1675 empty. My 225" Undercover slipjoint/hardtail weighed 1600 empty. All of the 4 link cars I have looked at weighed 1680-1700 w/o driver.

Keep the comments coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in