1979 F-100 suspension ???? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1979 F-100 suspension ????

Hey guys, has anybody here lowered a 2wd swb F-100? If so I'd like to hear your experiences/problems/expenses before I try to undergo this task blind. I have to rework my rear suspension for drag racing and I want to get the truck to sit close to level so I thought I would buy some drop beams for the front as well. Anybody know where to get the best deal on drop beams and related components for my truck? Also looking for rim/tire combos that will fit inside the wheel wells and not rub. I was looking at the M/T Classic 2's and 325/50-15 street radials for rubber. I drive this truck on the street and drag race it on the weekends, so I want to be able to live with what I put under it for suspension/rims and tires. Does anybody know how much weight I can save with aftermarket drop beams over the stock I beams? Sorry for the long winded post. I figured if anybody can help me out you guys can. Thanks

Cody Ladowski
76' F-100 Stepside
Best 12.67 @ 105.4
Pump Gas Street Truck
PRO Runner-Up @ BBF BASH 2009!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Code blue,

I lowered my 68 by raising the i beam mounting points in the cross member. I don't remember how much, but I do know it was all that it could move. then I took out the bump stops, and put in shorter springs .

I also put a 9 inch rear end out of a 57 fairlane under it with a 12 inch rim with a 4" back and 8" out and 12.50 x 28 et street. All I did was move the sping perches out to mate with the stock leafs. fit inside the factory wheel tubs.

Just lower the rear however you want. this work well for me . I 'm not sure but I think the rearend is wider on the 79,s but it still may work

Hope this helped

Blake

Blake

580 inch Ported P-51's
1003 hp @7200 810 tq @ 6100
86 Notch
29.5x13.5 Ladder Bar
1.200 60ft 5.41 @ 127.78 mph 8.51 @ 156 mph
200 shot 5.23 135 mph 1.13 60 ft. on the rear tire.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM

I don't know about weight savings with the djm dream beams, but I will tell you, you probably wont get much if any from the chassis tech's, but they have gone up in price since I bought mine 5 years ago.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
spring towers

I know this is not the correct way to do it... but I have seen some of the 4wd guys move the spring towers down on the frame for a cheapo lift. I see no reason a guy could not play that game in reverse to change the ride height, or use it to adjust the available springs to get the desired rise rate/spring travel you want for a good launch. A set of shock hoops would be needed to get a decent length shock, but are readily available for these trucks also.

There are also a lot of different springs for the early broncos available, that are lighter than F-100/F-150 springs, but longer lengths for you to play with.

I believe there are differences in the length of stock beams year to year... narrower ones might allow you to tuck the tires in a bit, if you decide to use stock ones.

There are several aftermarket "beams" available, some are not as strong as others. Not sure which are better, but it is worth doing a bit of homework first. I recall there was an "air ride" forum I saw that might be able to give you some good info on what is strong and what isn't. Some of those guys do some axle hopping and would know what bends easy.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of what you have done already.

Tom
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:28 AM

My vote is for the DJM Dream Beams.......With the twin I beam front any other means of lowering ie. raising spring buckets or cutting coils severly affects the camber and cannot easily be changed or adj. if at all. If you've ever seen one that's had the coils cut it makes the tires lean in at the top and won't drive very good, not to mention it'll eat tires....
I got the DJM's for my 67' and used spindles off a 78 w. disks, and after a trip to the alignment shop all was right on accept the toe in, which they adj. It rides like a caddy and handles as good as one can expect from twin I's.
IMHO dropped beams should be you're only option other than a mustang II kit :lol: , and the DJM's are about the best.
good luck,
mike
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Camber problems are the reason I raised the beam mounting points......

When you raise it it brings the bottom of the tire back towards the center of the truck . I carried mine to the line up shop and all he had to adjust was the tow.

Doing this lowered the truck enough that the top of the tire was in the fender about an inch. I don't know if this is as low as you want, but thats about what I was looking for, and I wasn't out a bunch of green for aftermarket beams. and it worked fine.

Just something that I have done that I know works.

Some of the guys around here have lowered them by cutting spings and then heating the beams and jacking the camber back in them.

I would never advise doing this for fear of taking the temper out of the beam and losing strength

Blake

Blake

580 inch Ported P-51's
1003 hp @7200 810 tq @ 6100
86 Notch
29.5x13.5 Ladder Bar
1.200 60ft 5.41 @ 127.78 mph 8.51 @ 156 mph
200 shot 5.23 135 mph 1.13 60 ft. on the rear tire.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT-572
Camber problems are the reason I raised the beam mounting points......

Blake
I didnt' realize one could raise the mounting high enough to get that ammount of drop........Certainly worth the effort, and for cheap.
Mike
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Good ideas guys

I was looking at shortening the spring/relocating the pivot point on the crossmember and removing the bump stop but I was afraid of running out of room on my 79 truck. There didn't appear to be a lot of room there for suspension travel. It looks like I might be able tomove the beams up on the frame an inch or inch and a half that way. I was really hoping that chassis tech or the DJM beams were lighter so I could save some weight. Does anybody have experience with both or price differences between the two? Or a good place to buy? Are those the only two companys that make drop beams for my truck? Wasn't there a guy with a 79 f-100 that used the chassis tech drop beams? Maybe he will chime in with his experience. I thought I saw some picutures of him drag racing with the front tires darn off the ground at launch? Maybe it was somewhere else. Anyway thanks for the ideas, and if anybody has anymore experiences don't be shy. Thanks again.

Cody Ladowski
76' F-100 Stepside
Best 12.67 @ 105.4
Pump Gas Street Truck
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Good ideas guys

I was looking at shortening the spring/relocating the pivot point on the crossmember and removing the bump stop but I was afraid of running out of room on my 79 truck. There didn't appear to be a lot of room there for suspension travel. It looks like I might be able tomove the beams up on the frame an inch or inch and a half that way. I was really hoping that chassis tech or the DJM beams were lighter so I could save some weight. Does anybody have experience with both or price differences between the two? Or a good place to buy? Are those the only two companys that make drop beams for my truck? Wasn't there a guy with a 79 f-100 that used the chassis tech drop beams? Maybe he will chime in with his experience. I thought I saw some picutures of him drag racing with the front tires darn off the ground at launch? Maybe it was somewhere else. Anyway thanks for the ideas, and if anybody has anymore experiences don't be shy. Thanks again.

Cody Ladowski
76' F-100 Stepside
Best 12.67 @ 105.4
Pump Gas Street Truck
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 PM

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the input...

Thanks for the knowledge guys... I'll get some pictures taken when I figure out how to post them. Never done it before, might have to steal a camera from work also, mines dead. The truck is on jack stands right now, I'll probably wait until I get it back on the ground to take some pics. I'm gonna have to look at it again and see if I can just lower it some with the stock beams. If I can't get it where I want it that way then I'll have to spring for the drop beams. If I can get the front tire just into the top of the wheelwell I'll be happy. I don't want it so low that I'm draggin' bottom everytime I drive in and out of a drive way. Thanks again.

Cody Ladowski
76' F-100 Stepside
Best 12.67 @ 105.4
Pump Gas Street Truck
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I have the chassis tech I-beams on my truck but I dont believe they are any lighter then stock. Heres a link http://www.airbagit-store.com/produc....asp&ID=101708 They charge a high shipping charge so I would check on that first. The only other drop beams are the DJMs. My friend has them on a 95 F150 extended cab with no problem so far. I actually want to lower my truck more in the front so I will try moving the I-beam mounting hole up and cutting the springs.

Another option is fatmanfab.com sells a bolt on mustang II kit for 67-79 F100s but im sure its expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in