Manual brakes - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
PBR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Manual brakes

A quick search of the forums reveal most of the Foxes are running manual brakes, but it doesn't reveal what parts are required.*

I can tell from the pics that the master cylinder and a plate are required but what else?

* I'm sure Danny C will come along and post a searched link to an exact howto and my search flaws will be revealed :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:39 AM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Alot of the Mustang Part Suppliers have complete kits with the master, Plate and Rod Included.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 PM

The brake pedal on the cars that come from the factory with manual brakes is different than the power brake cars.The pin that the pushrod connects to is located closer to the pivot point for more leverage and the pushrod is straight whereas it is bent on the power brake models.Here is a pic showing the difference http://www.carbdford.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=27

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:09 PM

if you look at it, the pedal is shorter, so where does the "extra" leverage come in at? i got a plate, master, and rod for sale.... master is almost new, less than 20 miles on it, switched to power.... i'll take $75 shipped for the whole shooting match....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 PM

The reason one pedal is shorter was that one pedal was from an automatic car and the other was from a standard.The extra leverage comes from the big difference in distance from the pivot point to where the pushrod connects which more than makes up for the difference in pedal lengths.Think of it like stopping a door with your foot.If your foot is in the middle of the door and you pull from the edge you might be able to stop it.If you move your foot 10 inches closer to the hinge and pull from 15 inches from the edge you see that the force on your foot is much greater even with a shorter lever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in