New car ordered! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New car ordered!

I just got back. I ordered and placed a deposit on a new dragster today. I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Been without a race car for a month. Longest period in 17 years without one.

I ordered a new dragster from American Racecars in Ohio.
http://www.americanracecars.net/
American is a fairly new company. They only started up two years ago and build an excellent car. Many of the big name "hitters", Scotty Richardson, etc are in their cars now. I placed my order through one of their dealers in N. Georgia.
http://www.flintstonemotorsports.com/index.html
The dealer gets the bare, powdercoated chassis and assembles to the customer specs.

What I ordered:
239" wheelbase swing arm suspension
2 colors powder coat on chassis and other parts. Powdercoat colors still be be chosen. They will send me a color chart
Strange aluminum rear end housing w Moser aluminum center, Moser axles/spool, 4.10 Pro gear, Strange brakes. Master cyl installed and brake lines plumbed.
Wheels, American Racing TrakStar wheels
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...53743_-1_36657
matching 16X16's for the rear
front tires, left the rear tires off as It might take a while to finish I didn't want the slicks to dry out.

I will have to add: Paint, wiring and switch panel, ignition box, battery, delay box, shifter, gauges, belts, parachute. Many of the other odds n ends are std: glove box, seat pad, scoop and tray, charging lugs on boths sides, interior and fuel cell lights, dual shutoff, chute and throttle cables. It also has many extra mounts all over for things like trans cooler, overflow bottle, remote oil filter, etc.

It will be certified to 6.00 1/4 mile (Advanced ET cert)

I had many options and could have spent much more, but I did spring for some bling. Chrome: blow shield, fan shroud, complete swing arm assembly, dash top, tie rods and spindle arms, trans ring and limiters

I am charged up about this!

David Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:50 PM

awesome. keep us posted w/ the build

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 05:36 PM

how long do you think before your racing again?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 06:12 PM
TopSportsman916

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
David, Congratulations!! It sure is fun ordering a new car. Then it really is fun with its together & you don't have buy anything else for it!! Well not buy anything for awhile anyway... :lol: I didn't know Mark Horton had gone into the chassis business. Nice looking work by the pictures on the website.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM

Your love those Dragsters (although I hate water pipes on wheels.) Good friends of ours that run Flintstone Motorsports. They have some really nice cars coming our from there right now. Most are Chevy guys but one of the guys runs a BBF in his car and it runs 5.10's. Really a pretty dragster. If your at Steele this weekend we should all be down there racing. The one with the BBF if Dave Schmidt its White, Orange and Blue. Again for a dragster :lol: you did a really good job with these cars. Hope to see it out soon with it. Again Steve and the gang there are very good building these cars. Good luck.

Doug

1993 Mustang LX 466 CI with Kaase CJ heads. Just hoping to make a full pass. Best time 6.32 110 mph.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSportsman916
David, Congratulations!! It sure is fun ordering a new car. Then it really is fun with its together & you don't have buy anything else for it!! Well not buy anything for awhile anyway... :lol: I didn't know Mark Horton had gone into the chassis business. Nice looking work by the pictures on the website.
Thanks,

They do build a nice car. I've spent the past month personally checking out every brand dragster I could find. This was the best combination of quality, features and value that I could find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakid8

Good friends of ours that run Flintstone Motorsports. The one with the BBF if Dave Schmidt its White, Orange and Blue. Again for a dragster :lol: you did a really good job with these cars.
Doug
Yes, Dave's car is nice. It was the first American Racecars dragster I had seen in person when they brought it to Steele for the first passes ever put on it. I tried it on for size next week. The one I ordered is a little different, but basically the same. An extra 4" in the wheelbase, and an extra inch in the cage. Mine will be a 24.5" cage and I sprung for some extra chrome.

David Cole
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 12:11 PM

You must want to be extra comfortable in your car with that extra inch inside. I have seen you before at a NMRA event and you are not that big I guess you just like the extra room. I got into Daves car too and that thing was comfortable enough to go to sleep in. I guess it must be nice compared to our car which is a 16 in seat which takes some sucking in and such to get into the car. If our motors not blown we should be down in Steele this weekend running hot rod.

1993 Mustang LX 466 CI with Kaase CJ heads. Just hoping to make a full pass. Best time 6.32 110 mph.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:01 PM

What happened?? I thought you wanted a door car?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:52 PM

What did that chassis cost you, David?

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
2006/2008 Ultra Stang World Champion
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones
What happened?? I thought you wanted a door car?
I would have considered the "right" door car, but none came along that were within my price range.

I also had to look at my racing. Due to my job (railroad engineer) about the only type of racing I can do it bracket racing. I work too many weekends to try and follow a heads up series around from place to place. With brackets, I can head to the track if I find myself off work for a Sat night. My home track is only 15 miles away. I can keep the car loaded and just hook the trailer up and go.

A door car can be fun, but for brackets I believe a dragster has the most advantages. Not that a door car can't win, but the dragster is light, fast and easy to work on. 95 % of the time I'm the faster car and leave last, so the whole race is in front of me plus the other car gets the first chance to redlight.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMaster
What did that chassis cost you, David?
check your pm's
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakid8
If our motors not blown we should be down in Steele this weekend running hot rod.
I'll be there spectating (and looking for ideas for a few odds n ends ideas for my new car). What car should I look for?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:17 PM

We ran a compression test tonight. Everything looks good there. Did notice that the starter is rubbing completely on the flywheel so were building a bracket this week and getting a new starter. The car is a LX Hatchback Mustang. Since we have just got it together the car is about 5 or 6 different colors of white. Cowl Hood and fiberglass hatch. Should be car number HR 2776. Come and bye and say hello should be a few Ford boys there.

later,
Doug

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Is the chassis tuning similar between a dragster with a conventional 4-link setup and a dragster with a swing arm 4-link?

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S.
Is the chassis tuning similar between a dragster with a conventional 4-link setup and a dragster with a swing arm 4-link?
As far as I know it is. It will just have a single Afco double adjustable shock/coil over. It has two regular type upper 4 link bars. The lower 4 link bars have a x brace between them, making the bottom bars one solid piece, but they still have regular rod ends that are adjustable. No anti-roll setup needed though since the bottom bars eliminate any roll. There are a couple of good pics of the rear suspension here, just click the small pic and it gets huge, so you can see what's going on.
http://www.dragsters4sale.com/id132.html

more here:
http://www.dragsters4sale.com/id130.html

and here:
http://www.americanracecars.net/shop.cfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in