Gas Prices,might help - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Gas Prices,might help

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" our selves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.98 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million p eople will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 PM

If everyone stops buying from Exxon and Mobil, they'll just sell their fuel to companies which are suddenly seeing much more business. And even if Exxon and Mobil drop their prices to sell gas, the other companies who are now selling more gas than they can produce have no reason to lower their prices to that of Exxon or Mobil. Only when people go to Exxon and Mobil for the cheap gas will the other companies have to price match. However, if people do that, then Exxon and Mobil will no longer need to keep low prices. In three short words, IT WON'T WORK.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Its something i found on another website,and figured it couldnt hurt.Either way you got to buy gas just get it from the little guy and see 8)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 AM

why does everyone think these things will work. there is one answer and one answer only. This particular letter and the one about not buying on a certian day have been around since the mid 70s (used to be passed around first as copies sent from office to office, then as faxes, and finally emails) it's just been updated. I had a copy of this same letter with a few changes like the company name on who to boycott and the full costs saying it was going to be $1/gal be next year, and how they have conditioned us to thing that .50 cents was cheap yadda, yadda) plain and simple these ideas have been around for over 30yrs, and this one shows that it was written originally by someone who has no idea about the way the gas, and oil distribution systems in this country work. And in 30yrs it hasn't bothered any of the oil companies yet so why is it going to start now?
It's really funny that these really start to surface around holiday weekends like memorial day, whats funny is it's actually the one weekend you could make a difference. The one and only way to send any kind of message to the oil companies is DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCT. you don't HAVE to go to the lake, or take the kids to Disney world, or travel to see the inlaws 500 miles away. every time a holiday weekend sees a drop in travel over around 10%j from what is expected the oil companies all drop the price of gas the next week by up to 10%. that should be a clue right there. Instead of going camping, or going visiting, or to some tourist trap STAY HOME don't even fire up that car, walk to the store if you can, convince your neighbors to do the same and have a block party if you live in town, invite all the kids to setup tents in the backyard and camp out, fire up the grill and have some steaks and hot dogs etc. Now this will start to hurt the oil companies, and it will definitely hurt tourism, the airlines, hotels, motel chains and things like that. Those people have a lot more money than you do, so not only will you hurt the oil companies directly those people I just mentioned know exactly what caused their drop in revenue and will start putting pressure where it matters and will have another effect.
Now this isn't a chain letter I copied this is my own and I try and write it every time I see a copy of the above mentioned chain letter that goes around. I should really sit down someday and clean it up and start just pasting it anywhere i can, and anyone has my permission to use it directly or the idea of it. But please stop with the boycott letters they do nothing at all and the oil companies laugh all the way to the bank when they read them because they know that if you follow them, they can charge as much as they want and you will feel good about it cause "we hurt exxonn/mobile" or whatever.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:45 AM

I agree with Rob, if you don't buy from Exxon/Mobil but still buy from someone else, what have you proven? It's supply and demand and until the demand goes down, the price isn't going to. I drive a truck for a living as an owner-operator, and I'm a captive audience. I have to have fuel to eat and the truckstops know it. I don't have the option of parking it, unfortunately and therefore have to pay the price. My only option is to slow down and get better fuel economy and buy less fuel. From my understanding of the present situation, there is more demand for gasoline than there is refining capacity. Like I said before, supply vs. demand. Like Rob said, stay home if you can and don't buy gas, period, for a long weekend and maybe, just maybe it will make a difference. The days of $1.00 dollar gas are gone, the big oil companies know what we will pay and still drive and they like those numbers. JMHO Nevs

"Perception is reality"
"Failure is not an option"
Charter member 460Ford.com "*** kissers"
2001 F150 4X4 SuperCab
2003 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic
1998 25.4 Mustang, 598 C head...done by fall, good Lord willing...

"No time to drive any of them"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:57 AM

if gas was 20.00 a gallon we would still have to buy some still have to go to work and still have to eat
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to 8liter
I just don't understand why the prices are higher when oil per barrel is lower that last year, and there seems to be no shortage of gas? I realize all the easy oil is gone and that we're not drilling in Alaska because its cheaper from the middle east, but I'd drill through a box of baby kittens if it meant $1.50/gal gas again. :shock:

86 Coupe
545/AOD
A429/H429/1050/BigShot
Best on motor [email protected] /[email protected] on 275's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPod0fGjPo
Now with E85!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM

I hate to say this, but, we will never see a decrease in fuel prices. Not unless the fuel companies want to lower thier profits.(LOL!) If they were really having to pay more because of supply and demand, or the war effort or Hurricane Katrina, and these are just some of thier excuses, then how are they STILL posting PROFITS in the billions every quarter, and I mean many,many billions? Because they can. It is all about GREED, I mean we're talkin' 40 billion dollars profit in one quarter!!! Until they want to stop making money(yeah, right!) it will not stop. I have no solution, but I will NOT drive my car less, because when that happens, then they really have won. I am not putting down anyones suggestions, this is just how I feel.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 PM

There's not a whole heck of a lot of oil in ANWR (thank God there's also not many boxes of baby kittens there either) and even if there were, I'd like for our country to save it as long as possible. Yep, there's no reason for the oil companies to build bigger/better refineries until the lost sales due to higher fuel prices outweighs the increased profits allowed by higher prices. If I can sell 10 teddy bears for $5 each, and they cost me $1 each to produce, I'd make $40. But if I raise the price to $10 each, I may only sell 6 teddy bears. Still, I've made $54. There's no reason for me to make more and sell them at $5 just so some poor kids can also have bears when I can make more money the other way. So until a lot of people start using substantially less gas, prices won't go down because oil companies won't refine more oil.

On the other hand, maybe I should mass e-mail a bunch of copies of that first post and buy stocks in Exxon and Mobil at momentarily reduced price. Nah, not many share holders would buy into it so that won't happen.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 PM

How do we know how much oil is in the ANWR? Without drilling any scientist will tell you we do not know how much oil is there. I think that we could set aside some of that land to drill a few fields in to see if there is anything in that area. If this proposal had not had its feet dragged for the past 20 years we would know already. Not to far away from ANWR there is some fields that make up over 25% of our domestic oil, at this time. Opening up a very small amount of ANWR could help us to lessen the dependence we have on foreign oil. Also with the opening up of some of this area there are less restrictions placed on the building of refineries as there are here in the mainland part of the U.S where gov beauracracy has stood in the way of no new refineries built since the early 80's. Done by both REP and DEM. Maybe this could help up get some better production of our own oil until we can stabilize this nation with better alternative fuels, in which I am very happy to support. Of course this is just my opinion, I'm wrong more often than I'm right or at least the wife says so. :lol:

1993 Mustang LX 466 CI with Kaase CJ heads. Just hoping to make a full pass. Best time 6.32 110 mph.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:02 AM

One thing I don't support is ethanol. And yes, I'm a farmer that lives in Iowa. From what I've read, the total amount of oil that could be extracted from the 19 million acres of the ANWR area is anywhere from 5.5 billion barrels to 16 billion (based on only two surveys). It's likely around 11 billion. However, if that's the case, it's only economically feasible to take about 7 billion of that 11B. And while that may sound like a lot of oil, it's really not. If the area were opened up and producing oil the price of gas here would probably drop about 15 cents per gallon. So yeah, it would have an effect. I'm still not for it though. And it's possible that there's 16 billion barrels and maybe 10-12 billion are feasible for extraction. I've also seen figures that say at most only 37% of the total oil could be extracted. Maybe France has it right with nuclear power.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

LOL..

LOL, I just heard a guy on the radio talking about who gets a cut of the money. The oil companies that drill for the oil, refine, and supply the gas average about 8 cents a gallon profit. The guy selling it to you gets about 4 cents, or nothing, and the federal state and local governments get an average of 50 cents per gallon. :shock: And then they want to haul the oil guys in front of congress for gouging. I'll be glad when we can all have "free" government healthcare and pay 8 or 10 bucks a gallon. .....NOT !!!!

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 PM

i can't take it anymore. . .

i can give you part of the answer and take it for what it is. Profit for gasoline for a refinery is between 25 and 50 cents a gallon currently depending on a number of things. Where the billions are made is in the tens of billions of gasoline made a day.

Realize that the a barrel of crude is 42 gallons, therefore at $70/barrel equals $1.67/gallon just for the raw material. Now figure roughly a $0.80 to make this thick, dirty crap into gasoline and your up to $2.67/gallon. Now add TAXES and retail add on cost and refinery profit of 25 to 50 cents and you have your total price. 10 years ago the profit was in the single digits and this is why profit was not as high.

Currently there is a mild shortage of gasoline that is being tempered by price. Our country buys finished gasoline on the world market to make up what we can not produce for our needs. The only thing which stops localized shortages are price. And remember this, no oil company is going to with hold barrels of production at $0.25/gallon profit. You want price to drift back down, this nation HAS TO CURTAIL WHAT IT IS USING. Nothing major, just put a little thought into you efficiency of trips made.

the problem can be summarized as follows:
Crude price
taxes
energy cost to produce gasoline
oil companies "greed" as everyone like to call it
and yes, all of us for making an endless demand for gasoline.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Thanks Cammer...

Thanks Cammer for the inside scoop. I was passing along what was said on the news, and we all know how accurate that can be. :roll: As for conserving our way out of this, it will never happen. I work at a chemical plant that uses ridiculous amounts of natural gas for ammonia production and huge amounts of petroleum based products. There is NEVER talk of cutting production. It is always about how much can we make. If I have a machine running, burning up electricity or steam, I need to get the maximum production out of it. It's funny, we could actually cut a little rate and be more efficient, but its all about "HELL NO WE NEED MORE TONS OF PRODUCT." The population is always increasing meaning more mouths to feed, more cars, more demand. Conservation is not an option in the big scheme of things. We need MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, I have cut back on driving as much as possible, and I combine errands/beer runs to maximize efficient use of fuel.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 PM

don't get me wrong. I was speaking only of gasoline curtailing, and mainly in the early summer months when we are switching between winter pool and summer pool when our inventories are low. Yes, industrials uses are a whole different beast. But we can usually keep up with many of those uses. We can only distille, catalytic crack, hydrotreat, and alkylate so many of the gallons in a barrel or crude into gasoline. At least economically anyway.

I have a feeling this problem will come a head at some point in the near future and the government will get involved. This will not really solve the problem, mearly make a new. However, this is purely my opinion and not based on any inside knowledge what so ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in