well not 460 powered but still a ford - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

well not 460 powered but still a ford

Since i haven't been able to get the mud truck to the pits yet this year decided I wanted to do some racing so took the PSD to the strip for some fun. Had an absolute blast doing it too. They built a new speedway in Newton about 50 miles from me and have street legal drags, called fast and fun fridays. you don't win anything and no brackets etc, just good ole heads up fun racing. Pull into the stage lines and whatever ends up next to you is what you race. 1/8th mile, and nice track actually. you can race as much as you want for the entry fee, just keep coming back and getting in line. Anyway I didn't end up getting to dilute the fuel I have in the truck so was running B50 which might have hurt my times a little but mentioned it at the end of the night and the announcer told me to say something about it early as the Iowa biodiesel board is one of the biggest sponsors of the track and they would have made a big deal about it, as it was they were making a big deal about a diesel truck beating up on everything out there. lol. He asked me to come back with it and let them know and they will advertise and make the issue about it running on bio, which is of coarse a big deal in this state.
My first run of the night was against a real healthy 68 camaro, said 327 on the emblem, no idea ifit was or not but did have a bad arse cam in it, street slicks and I have to admit was real nice looking car. But he should have left it on the trailer. beat him by almost a full second, after that people started to actually look at my truck and weren't saying well this will be an easy run. As it turned out, only lost one race all night long and that was cause I red lighted. lol
anyway my last run of the night turned out to be my best, I can tell I need to practice on the tree a little, but not bad since I haven't had any practice yet this year, and I was beating most other reaction times I saw.
also remember this is a 7200lb full size 4x4 extended cap long box truck.

ET 9.832
speed 67.93
reaction 0.223 (0.000 tree)
60 ft 1.988
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Is this a 6.0 or 7.3 and what mods.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

it's a 7.3, has a 6637 air filter, CCV, shimmed fpr for 70psi, 5" straight pipe exhaust, and a DPtuner with 40, 60 tow, 80 econo, 120 race and 140 extreme settings as well is prepump and intake fuel line mods to eliminate air and a prepump lift pump also. Also has a modified VB in the trans.
wanted to get some idea of a starting point before getting serious about modding it, next is a billet TC, then will start looking at injectors and a new turbo :lol:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 AM

So that cammed up camaro couldn't do better than 67mph in the 1/8th? I guess it's not so surprising. I've been in some terribly slow cars that sounded somewhat nasty. When I had my '89 camaro there was another kid in town that had just spent $6000 getting his 350 rebuilt (that's a good chunk of change around these parts) for his '86 camaro and he took me for a ride in it. What a sluggish P.O.S. that was! I just said something like, "Yeah, it's sure got some power." or something like that. Didn't want to hurt his feelings.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

actually scott his trap speed was faster, something like 72mph but his 60ft time was so much slower than mine due to not getting traction off the line. I could look at the time slips and see that the first 60ft was were I was beating most of them, in some cases the difference in the 60ft times were almost exactly the difference in the ET at the end, some I had them beat more on the 60 and they were coming close to running me down. Fact is had it been a 1/4 mile instead a lot of the cars might have gotten it done, but when your .500+ faster in the first 60ft and only have another 600ft to make that up it's tough to do.
But I know what you mean some guys stuff a radical cam into a motor and think it builds all kinds of power fact is unless it's matched with other components your probably losing power instead. (like the guy back when I was a kid that stuck a tunnel ram on a bone stock 350 and bragged about how fast he was, well until my worn out POS 330cid olds beat him in the 1/4 3 out of 3 times. lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in