Forget to check your guages = !! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Forget to check your guages = $Ouch!!

Just got off the phone with a friend of mine who learned the hard way you need to keep an eye on your gauges.

He took his boat out for the first time a few weeks back. It was a spur-of-the-moment trip so he grabbed the boat out of storage, plopped it in the water, fired it up, and motored off without bothering to check his gauges. Hey, it started, so what's there to worry about?

Well...

Seem that Mercruiser 350's don't do so well when the water pump impeller has taken a dump. But since he didn't look at the little round thing labeled "Water Pressure" he didn't know about it (and his warning chime is dead, too). Oh, it went okay for a few minutes before deciding to get a mite hot. So hot it melted the upper hose to the thermostat housing and blistered the paint completely off the heads. His comment was "it did smell a little funny...". No kiddin'.

At the very least he's probably warped the heads and scuffed most, if not all, the pistons. The engine shop is tearing it down today and should have the rest of the bad news to him by this afternoon.

Check your gauges, folks. It's cheap insurance.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 PM
RJP

2nd rule of boating is check water flow out of engine. 1st rule is to make sure the drain plugs are in......
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM

about 20 years ago I lived in Colorado and was at the lake and this shiny new truck pulled up with a hand full of black guy's with this super nice inboard boat, I talked to the guy he was just out of the Navy and he and his buddies decided to go boating. Well his dad just rebuilt this nice boat with a fresh rebuilt 327 sbc in it sounded great, They backed it into the water and unloaded it and one of the guy's parked the truck and trailer jumped in and made a warm up Idle out and all of a sudden POOF the Boat went under :shock: What the??? they were about a couple hundred yards from shore. Somebody speed out to get them and pick up their gear :shock: Come to find out he forgot the drain plug it was still on the Trailer :roll:
They looked for the boat for a couple months and sent divers down and sonar and never found the boat.

I felt for the guy he had to go home and tell his dad he sank his pride and joy

Randy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 PM

I used to have a 22.5 cuddy cabin starcraft ,it was a aluminum boat.
I forgot the drain plug,needless to say I wondered why the bilg had been pumpin that long and noticed the water was awful high on the out side of the boat ,about that time I looked at the backseat and there was water about a inch deep in the back ops: ,I undo the engine cover and the water is half way up the inboard :shock:
Knowing there no chance of finding and puting the plug back in under 3 foot of water ,I fire it up and hit the throttle :lol: the boat would only muster about 5 mph and planeing out was not gunna happen.After about 10 minuts the boat finally lifted the front and tried to plane,after about 3 mins at the nose up attitude it finally planed off at about 20 mph,by this time ,luckilt,the water was only about 8 inches deep in the bilg and I sent my buddie in after the plug.Unbelievably he found it and got it back in after about 5 mins of digging.
That was the scariest thing looking at the back of the boat and seeing water on the floor which is about 2 foot above the hull :lol:
Then opening the engine compartment and thinkin the engine is never gunna start in these conditions,but it did and we made it.
Needless to say the plug was number 1,2,3,4, and 5 on the list to check,nothing was on my mind untill the plug was 100 percent in the hole and secured,I also mounted the plug on a chain so it could be found in 3 feet of water in the hull if need be. :lol:
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:43 AM

DId almost the same thing

My buddy and I did just about the same thing except we were in high school senior year we all skipped school and decided to get our girlfriends and each of them brought a girlfriend so we were obviously not thinking boating safety 8) . We took the 21ft cuddy out into Lake Ontario and after getting through the rocks in the shallows he hit it and it did not respond. Finally noticed the water on the floor around the engine cover and when I pulled it up the engine was half covered. I finally found the spare plug in the console and he drove it hard enough to get it to drain before I put the plug in. Talk about embarassed ops: , and scared at the same time. We can sit back and laugh about it now but the plug is always the first second and third thing checked now when my boat goes in the water.

Terry

66 460 Galaxie
Some people grin and bare it, others smile and do something about it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Tear-down report...

Every cylinder is scuffed. Badly. Punching it .030 was barely enough to clean it up. Block, crank and rods are fine. Block will need to be decked a few thousands to square it up, but nothing extreme. Thankfully all the bearing bores seem to be nice and straight.

Heads, as expected, are severely warped. It will take work on all sealing surfaces to true them. Only a few more $$ would've made it more cost-effective to simply replace them but they should machine out okay. Springs are gone. Several of them had seat pressure close to being measured in ounces. Valves seem to be okay and should clean up fine.

In other words, this thing got HOT.

All in all he's very lucky. This could easily have been much worse. In the end it's a generic .030-over rebuild with a little extra machine work.

Brad
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You cannot legally claim to have been a boat owner unless you've put one in the water at least once without the plug. 8)

1967 Falcon 4 door
Owner built, owner abused.
http://raceabilene.com/misc/hisnherspic.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in