Can't Make Everyone Happy - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can't Make Everyone Happy

I came to this site with the express purpose of learning as much as I could in a roughly 2-3 month period. I have learned much, however my tactics have seemed to draw "Lightning". I am sorry about this but I have learned in Insurance/Real Estate that you cant make everyone happy. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I want to thank all those whom have selflessly sacrificed their time and freely given their opinions based on hard won experience.

God has seen fit to present me with both adversity and opportunity in my life. I am finishing college for the 2nd time which I'm paying for out of pocket. I also am working with others to rehab a forclosed property this may be my "new home" or my 1st investment property. Once I can get a job in my new field I will have more disposible income.This has set my plans back.Hope to build/race/show in the next 2-3 years.

GOD Bless YOU and Keep You

Mike T. aka 511Fox

No Sushi Zone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:26 PM

Only way to get answers is to ask questions

Build a BIG N/A engine :idea:

Good Luck!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM

Questions

With great wealth comes great responsebility.

My knowledge is your knowledge.

Any time I can help ax away 8)

Gregg

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

The problem I saw with your posts was:

1. LOTS of posts asking pretty much the same questions over and over.

2. Seeking answers for questions that may not be true 3 years from now. (Nitrous vs. Cent. blower)

3. Seeking answers without thoroughly researching this site (and others) first.

I've been around web forums a long time and I get a little irritated at folks who pop up, ask a zillion questions, usually about outrageous engine/chassis combinations, with little or no intention of ever following through (or even beginning) a project. It seems no different to me than the Chester that pops up at the drags or wherever, talking about the 454 Pontiac Hemi he has that was factory installed in his '74 Ventura.

My advice to ALL forum newbies is:

First: USE THE SEARCH

Second: See First

Third: See Second

Fourth: See Third

Fifth: Post a question.

Good luck on your future project.

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree with Damon!

85 Mustang GT, Ice Blue, A460 headed 572, [email protected], 70 Mach 1 428 CJ, 69 Boss 9 clone, 1973 'cuda 340, 68 Barracuda SS/AH clone project, 67 GT390, 64 Cutlass, 1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone, 78 King Cobra.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Search Tips

The Search function on this board really does work wonders, but only if you use it right.

For the non-computer geek, this isn't as easy as it looks.

The given instructions next to the search box are often overlooked, or completely misunderstood.

Quote:
You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches
If my Father was reading this the only thing this instruction would do is generate a question like "Where is the AND button? I found the END button, but when I push it it says 1. But, if I push the other END button, the thing jumps off the page. I don't get it. " :shock:

So, for example, if you were searching for information on the maximum power a factory or stock block can handle, a possible search term would be...

stock and block and *power and ma* and handle or take

*ower could be power or might be horsepower
ma* could be max or maximum

Try that search term. It returns 28 hits, most of which are applicable. Try removing one or more words and try again; it'll return more hits because the filter is not as strict.

Having search is a fantastic resource, but it does take a bit of practice to learn how to generate filters that don't return frustrating results. If you use a too general search term like "horsepower", you'll spend a lifetime trying to find your answer to the above question, become frustrated, and make a duplicate post thinking the information has not been discussed.

Anyway, good luck with it,

Byron

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

2-3 months..

2 or 3 months. :roll: I have been playing with cars for 20 or 30 years, and I still don't know what the heck I'm doing. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:50 PM

Byron,

Your info on searching should be a sticky. I've tried that sucker & always get frustrated.

I think one of the reasons people were getting frustrated with 511Fox is that he was asking pie in the sky questions with no relevance it seemed. He might have had a thought process, but it isn't easily seen over the internet.

I like to answer questions when I think the knowlege will be used. I do it at work. If the same guy asks how to build a pole line up a hill, but isn't working on a hill job, I quickly get frustrated, as my time is valuable. When responding, you like to think your info is going to be used.

Don't take offense Mike, We are all new to this stuff at one time or another. I'm always learning something.

John Strube
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mudbogtom
couple thoughts...

Thanks for the tutorial on using the search! That makes it so much easier to understand than someone telling me to search for previous posts.

As far as unrealistic dreams or plans that may not happen for 2-3 years due to one being educated or budgeting for it MAY be contributed somewhat to the average newbies first questions being replied to with an answer of "build a stroker" or "buy these heads because what you have is no good"... or similar responses. I remember asking some of my first questions about putting together a 429... and something along the lines of "a free 31 cubic inches" comes to mind. A few folks pm'd me to give me some advice to help with the plans I originally had, and I remember them and appreciate and pay attention to their advice. Unfortunately, I have yet to find the "free 31 cubes", but have found that a couple very polite guys in Colorado and Arizona offered me a decent 460 crank for a decent price, if I chose to go that route. Sometimes, plans change... heck, I have picked up 3 different cars to choose from to make my project since I found this site 9 months ago, and none of them are fox bodies, which is what 85% of the people recommend I get instead, because my cars are too heavy.

Before we scare someone off that has some wild ideas... maybe we should think about how they got so wild?

Tom
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 AM

So if I wanted to find everything posted for adjusting valves what would I type in? I tried "adjusting valves" and got everything but valves.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger460
So if I wanted to find everything posted for adjusting valves what would I type in? I tried "adjusting valves" and got everything but valves.
Valve Lash

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:28 AM

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:36 AM

Select the box that says "Search all terms" and then type in valve lash above. It will help narrow it down for you.

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Use the AND function

Search for: adjusting AND valves

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:51 PM

Nice tips on the search function.

Just for kicks I typed in "bull and crap" and Bri's pic came up. :shock: :lol:

just kidding man. :P

I think I've used the search function a few times. Danny C always has the right link handy too. Either he has a photographic memory or he uses that search function like a pro and unselfishly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in