C6 power level question. - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

C6 power level question.

As you might know my transmission has bit the dust. It was just rebuilt at the first of this race season. It had a 2,600 re-stalled Ford converter, and a Broader shift kit. Truck was running high 8.82ís in the 1/8 and weighed 4,570lbs with 3.50 gears. That would mean that it was making around 300-325 hp at the flywheel and no telling how much torque.

So my question for you is. I am building an engine that will hopefully have a lot more power than my current engine. Yet the truck's weight will probably stay the same, being that we will be putting some roll cage and safety equipment in. What level of c6 transmission should I be looking for? (I donít like this rebuild a transmission every ľ of the race season!)

I am not exactly sure how much "hp" it will be producing. Then again would the trq & weight of the truck be more of the issue than hp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 PM

what broke? In other words what is it NOT doing now? The c6 should handle what you have no problems.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=13427

I don't quite know? If I let it get cold 3rd will come back. If I try to make a pass letting it shift on its own it will never shift into third.

Something is binding, the engine really labors when I start from a dead stop. (Won't even spin the street tires) Yet it will drive fine if I never get into it, but once I do it finished.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with the guy that built the transmission. He said that there is no warrantty on anything that goes down the track. He also said that it sounds like I lost the clutches in the drum. Just have to look and see what is in the pan.

I doubt I bother with him again. His words "it's only a stock c6 with a shift kit and converter!" My response ya this 160,000 mile 7.2:1 compression, cam, intake and 1-3/4 headered truck was too much power wasn't it?

I also asked him if the truck starting in second would have had anything to do with it? (Since it had that problem when I picked it up from him) He said "no, that wouldn't bother it!"

I guess I am a little ticked. Since I was thinking a good rebuilt c6 with a mild shift kit and converter would be able to hold 300hp. I never would have thought I would be put in the situation to have the "its been down the racetrack" card thrown on me.

I do safe burnouts, I start in first get the rpms up real quick then shift to second. Then when I start to hear the rpms drop I let of the brake and gas to save the transmission.

Ps We fiqured I had 400 miles on the truck and of those 36 1/8 mile passes. Only raced it maybe 6 friday night's at 6 passes a night.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)

C6.........LOL,850HP 1000HP TO REAR WHEELS NO PROBLEM,,,,

I HAVE A CUST,MUD DRAGS,800 TO 850 TO FLYWHEEL,AND

ANOTHER THAT PLUS 300SHOT OF SPRAY,AND ANOTHER IN THE 8'S IN A 3250 POUND CAR,AL BUILT BY BORSOMATIC RACING TRANSMISSIONS,AND HES GIVES WARR-TEESSSSSSSSSSSS ON HIS STUFF........THIS GUY HAS DONE OVER 80 TRANS FOR ME,AND I CAINT COUNT HOW MANY IVE SENT HIM OFF THE STREET,OR WHO COME UP TO ME AND SAY U GOT A GLIDE IN UR CAR,,,,,,,,AAAAAAAAAAAA NOPE,JUST A C-6.........KEEP ONE THING IN MIND IF U DONT HAVE A GOOD CONVERTER UR WASTING UR MONEY ON THE TRANS..........

-R

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:49 PM

I'd say your tranny guy sucks.

Have it done per the directions of Frank Merkel (link someplace, Danny where are you?) The timing on the 2-3 is a big deal, get it wrong and it will never live no matter whats in front of it.

Agreed on the converter deal, I happen to know a guy that can fix you up..........

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

I know a c6 can hold a lot of power. I was just trying to state the obvise without say "he sucks and is wimping out of service".

He won't have to worry about me sending him any customers.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69
I'd say your tranny guy sucks.

Have it done per the directions of Frank Merkel (link someplace, Danny where are you?) The timing on the 2-3 is a big deal, get it wrong and it will never live no matter whats in front of it.

Agreed on the converter deal, I happen to know a guy that can fix you up..........
I got my converter from Scotty @ RHP. Its a Ford converter that has been restalled to 2,600. He said it was only rated to 500hp since it didn't have a anti balloon plate.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM

the down track statement was just his out to a poorly built unit.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richter69
the down track statement was just his out to a poorly built unit.
I learned my lesson. I was told he did good rebuilds and being that my engine only has a cam, intake & headers that might make 300 hp. A good built c6 should be able to hold that little bit of power all day long!

Heck, I even used the stage 3 of 6 on the shift kit! Broader said that that would be the highest setting he would suggest for a truck and hwy driving.

I ran new cooler lines and made sure the trans builder thought the cooler was big enough. I guess he didn't care since he knew I would be drag racing.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Oh well, I have done enough bashing, you live and learn.

I need to find a transmission that will hold my new engine now.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM

too bad you weren't closer, we could knock it out in an afternoon, hell my shop has a/c in it lol.

69 Grande'
P51 headed 563
3070#'s
5.15 @ 134.89
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:25 PM

Jones.....

I run a truck alot like yours. We had some c-6 issues also. Like it has been said the shift timing is key. My first engine makes about 500 hp and it tore up stock c-6's left and right. I don't know how long my new c-6 will last, I just got it all back together last weekend. I had frank M on here do the valve body for me and I followed his instructions. The thing shifts like a dream and if it wouldn't have rained last friday night I would have got to make some passes. One thing that we did learn is to make sure you manually put it in first gear when doing burnouts or racing. The sprag in the trans will not take the weight of the truck and the torque of the big block well. We broke two or three before we figured it out. I now have a reverse pattern manual vb in it and all the good alto clutches and other stuff. You probably don't need the alto clutches, but a good vb will keep it alive longer.

Kyle
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

It just don't make since that he says it leaving the line in 2nd gear won't hurt it. Yet he says he won't warrantty it for 3rd going out??

More I think about it the more pissed I get. Sorry, no good,,,,,, He expects me to live with the transmission to take off from 2nd ever so often, because he can't build a transmission right! Then he is going to play the dragstrip card when thrid gear goes out.
Then after thinking about it he never did tell me he wouldn't warrantty it if it went down the dragstrip. His words were, "I only warrantty them if they where used for their intended use" I told him it would be a Friday night racer.

aggh ticks me off!

Now I don't have nothing to run! Points at the race track just started and I was wanting to do some bracket racing while I was building this other engine. :evil:

I don't know what to do now. I am on a tighter budget since I bought the tow truck and just can't throw $300-$500 out to have this transmission fixed. I guess I'm done racing for the year.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

From what I've heard, shift timing is the key when it comes to making a C6 live, the parts in them are very strong.

We used to break the planetary gears in a C6 behind a 460 that probably made about 500 horsepower. If the shift timing is correct look what it can take with good reliability.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in