Look at them pipes! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Look at them pipes!

Married the sidepipes to the car again after 10 long months. I had them coated while it was away. This thing is really starting to look like something.

And, I figured out how to remember to remove the dirt plug from the blower inlet!

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Forum Contributor

Looks nice.
I like the small reminder. :lol:

David,

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

1977 F-150 4X4 SWB
Mud/Dirt drags.
460 + ?
4.5 Bore X ?

and who cares,
if your winning your cheating, just ask the
bowtie guys
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 PM
kim

Byron, went to your web page, but none of the images are as up to date as the stuff your posting here. Wanted to drop your car into a post on the Corral. Someone is having wet dreams about a Factory Five, and if anything should give him one, is a blown big block with your attention to detail.

Drop on in again, and drop your car into the post....

Kim

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah...well...

The Corral makes me nuts. I'll leave it at that.

I havn't posted new engine bay pics mostly because nobody wants to look at 1/8" of bondo dust...I have a boatload of cleaning to do.

I *just* got the car back from body...I'll update the site when I get enough "finished" pictures, and probably pare-down whats there, or maybe organize it.

I like the FFR, but this powertrain wouldn't be a drop in. For one, it's a more accurate replica and the engine bay isn't long enough. Without the longer chassis you wouldn't have room for a driveshaft. And, I'd be a little concerned about the frame. Those cars are built pretty light. I'm not sure what would happen if you put 800+ ft-lbs of torque into one. I'm sure you could add tubing and fix that problem (if it exists). Anyway, it could be done...but I think he'd have to do some pretty fancy stuff to make it happen. He could run a TKO600 instead, and cut/chop the frame and alter the bracketry to drop the blower lower and closer to the crank, then stand the radiator verticle and move it further forward. Then, maybe...but as is, my stuff is way too big and bulky to fit in a FFR bay.

www.RaceSystems.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 PM
kim

Its a room full of nobs I know. But I've been there forever. I feel comfortable "most" of the time. Every once in a while the nobs even get to me.

Didn't realize the Factory five stuff was so light. They've got a few personal cars on thier sight that are sporting 700hp+ combo's. Only one big block that I read about though.

Hardcore makes me nuts. I can more suffer the stupidity of the nobs than listen to the whinning and back biting of the poeple that have made a business out of thier experince in the racing world.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Very light

Take a look at all the 2" box tube in my dinosaur Kellison-built chassis. The main frame struts are 1/8" wall tubing. The rest of it is .065 wall. The trans tunnel is armored in 1/8" steel plate on the inside layer, and has an outside sheetmetal skin as well (double walled). The trans tunnel is structural. The Kellison cars are monocoupe construction cars. The doors have twin steel box tube, and the hinges and striker attach to the FRAME as opposed to the body. And, the glass on this car is 3/8" thick in most spots...and at least 1/4" thick everywhere else. It's very heavy, but very rigid. Equipped with equal horsepower, a FFR car would kick this cars *** in every possible way.

The FFR is much lighter, and most of the upper structure is very thin wall, small diameter framework that serves little structural purpose other than give you something to hang the body on. The 400ish rwhp FFRs I've driven didn't feel very rigid at WOT to me. But, like I said...you could box the thing and x-brace it if it needed it. It's just tubing. It's doable; but my stuff wouldn't fit as is.

www.RaceSystems.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in