Off to the boat Drags! - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Off to the boat Drags!

Well, with much help from Bret Powell, Charlie & Lem Evans, and Duane Oblander, I'm off to my first race in the boat tomorrow morning in St. Louis!

Bret built me one stout pump gas deal! It dynoed 710 HP @ 6500.

I'll have some pics to post on Monday....

Wish me luck!

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ken,

It's been a thrash, but it's all worked out now. Like you said, a big thanks to Bret Powell is in order. You've got one of Lem's Magical camshafts now and it's going to run a hole in the wind. Take a change of panties or Depends, :lol: :lol:

The Kentucky Krew wishes you some good luck in Saint Louis at the drag boat races, but most of all, please be careful and play safe.

Later,

Charlie Evans
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:59 AM

Ken I may have missed your evaluation of the races. If so, my apologizes. How did the race experience go? Most of all did you enjoy yourself and did the boat perform to your expectations?

Dave.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Well guys for it being my first time on the "starting Rope" I gotta say it aint as easy as it looks! LOL I was really fighting to keep the boat pointed down the track (by hanging onto the rope), starting the engine, turning on the data acquisition system, setting the divirter in the right hole, ect ect. I was kind of confused the first few times and my holeshots really sucked! My first ET was in the high 11's and I had registered fot the 10 second class.

Also, I had done qrite a lot of changing to the boat since I've last run it, and the set-up was no where near right for the new PFC engine. We didn't even have the right parts with us to get it tuned right. The Engine preformed flawlessly all weekend and never missed a lick! I"m going to have to shave the impeller a bit (gear it lower) to get it up to the peak 6500 rpm. It would only turn 58-5900 this weekend, so I was leaving quite a bit on the table, plus it was hopping coming out of the hole pretty bad.

My last run was the best of the weekend. I finally got it all figured out, and cut a .02 light, and a 10.87 e.t. @ 96.7

I've got some videos of the runs which we will try and get up tomorrow and post some links to. Some of you Asphault guys may never have seen the liquid quarter (it's definatly the other side of the coin), and you boaters will enjoy watching them I'm pretty sure.

Thanks again to everyone for the help! Especially to Mr. Bret Powell who put in a lot of long hours and built a STELLAR engine for our effort!!!

Ken F
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:40 AM

good job Ken allways glad to here about another ford in the water
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks so much for the kind words. My hope is that Ken will be able to run that motor as long as he desires or until he would like to move up. Beauty is that he's got a nice foundation that he can upgrade if/when he wants.

Certainly I think that getting the motor a little closer to correct RPM band will net better times and speed, so he should be able to break triple digits soon.

Thanks again! Bret

Pullin For Christ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in