Figured I'd post this up since it'll be a long project...
The car is a weekend cruiser and street car that will see the track a few times a year and go to some local cruise-ins.
- 1969 Mustang SportsRoof, 8X,XXX original miles.
- I bought the car towards the end of last year (2006) with a 468 cid big block w/ ported DOVE-C's, unknown size solid roller cam, Port-O-Sonic intake, and Holley 855 carb, C6 trans, and 9" rearend.
- It has the original standard black interior in excellent condition (tach and shifter are aftermarket) and all original sheetmetal.
- Currently painted a dark red almost maroon color. Was originally painted Acapulco Blue.
- After a disappointing 12.4 @ 110 mph track outing, I discovered it was only running on 7 cylinders and those 7 weren't within spec on the compression test. It was also running at only 25* total timing (should be ~35*) and it has a worn distributer gear.
- Radiator also developed a leak.
Already done since I bought the car:
- Added front spoiler
- De-anodized the gold Moroso valve covers and painted them black
- Replaced gold Moroso air cleaner with a K&N air cleaner
- Replaced door lock knobs
- Replaced inner door handle cups
Currently In Progress:
- bbfstanger here on 460ford is building me a 545 cid shortblock. Should come in around a pump gas friendly 11.0:1 compression ratio after the Kaase P-51 heads are installed. It will include: a .030 over factory block, cleaned and decked, bored and honed with a plate, new cam bearings installed, Forged 4.5" crank, 6.8" scat h-beam rods, ARP 2000 series rod bolts, Dished forged Diamond pistons with custom valve reliefs for both P-51 and conventional heads, Total Seal plasma moly file fit rings, Clevite H series bearings, Durabond cam bearings, sfi flexplate, sfi balancer, internally balanced, All clearances set and checked, New freeze plug set.
- Until I have the cash for the new top end, my old/current top end will go on. It includes ported/butchered DOVE-C iron heads (flowed 305 cfm intake and 169 cfm exhaust), solid roller cam, Offenhouser Port-O-Sonic intake, and Holley 855 cfm carb, I will be absolutely suffocating this motor, I know, but I can't swing the new top end right now.
- New MSD #8577 Pro-Billet distributer.
- A new aluminum radiator along with a Flex-a-lite 2500 cfm electric fan is going in. These will replace the leaking steel radiator and mechanical fan. Custom radiator support work is being done to accommodate the cooling system with the big block stuffed in the engine bay.
- New high output 3G alternator will replace the current 60 amp one.
- Converting from a V-belt to a serpentine belt system.
- Replace old/current top end with aluminum Kaase P-51 heads, custom solid roller cam from one of the gurus on this board, Victor intake, and 1050 or 1150 dominator carb.
- Upgrade fuel system.
- Rollerize C6 tranny.
- Paint the car either a custom graphite/gun metal grey color or Raven Black.
Any comments and suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Current pics (the 5 photocopied pics at the bottom are from previous owner):