Next Years (2008) Tech Session - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Next Years (2008) Tech Session

Guys,

After watching our Tech DVD, I've been thinking and when I start thinking,,,,,,,,,that's dangerous. First off I think Jon Kaase is a terrific public speaker :!: :!: Let's give him a hand :!: I loved his dry wit and sense of humor. He brought house down when he made comments like;
"It was a bloodletting", and "We sold that engine to a guy in Norway, and that still wasn't far enough away".

The Tech Session was a part of your paid pre-registration for the three day event. Knowing that some of you had traveled over almost 2000 miles to get there, we sure needed to have a contingency plan in case we had a rainout on Friday or Saturday. As I told many of you, if we'd had a rainout, then we were going to move the Tech Session time slot and have it during a long rain delay. Then if we needed to finish the racing program on Sunday, we had the flexibility to do that.

Almost 40 years ago, Ford Motor Company had the Ford Drag Teams, which consisted of big name drivers such as Hubert Platt, Randy Terry and others. The Ford Drag Team traveled around the country and stopped in at Ford dealerships and displayed their cars and answered questions about drag racing, then they went to the various nearby dragstrips and proceeded to go racing. Those days are gone now and that's a thing of the past. However, during the Sunday morning Tech Session I felt that we had our own brand new Ford Drag Team gathered under that big tent. Egos were left at the gate and information was freely shared back and forth. I sincerely appreciated that on everybodies part.

Next year, we need to build in some rain delay time and we'll have a Tech Session again. For those of you who missed this years Tech Session, there were thousands of dollars of gift certificates/door prizes and even a dyno session by AM&P, that were given away during the Tech Session and that's not shown on the DVD, so be there next year!

We had six PHR Engine Masters Challenge engine builders there that morning. I know I said five, but I was wrong. We had Adney Brown, Scott Johnston, Jon Kaase, Randy Malik, Dave McLain and Mike Phillips. That's a lot of high powered talent, so one of my ideas for next year, is to just put those six on the speaker's panel and let everybody ask them questions.

Another idea I have, is that we (Evans & Evans), had about 8 or so complete engines there running in various racecars, that we have dyno sheets for, flow sheets for, cam specs for and etc., and if Doug Rahn ever gets his car built, we'll have at least one more. So, IF, IF, IF those engine's owners are willing, I'd like to make copies of their dyno sheets and etc. and pass those out to each of you. Then I'd like to put those owners/drivers on the speakers panel. They may not want to share info such as dyno sheets and that's perfectly understandable, that's why I said "IF". Then you, the attendee can ask questions about how much the car weighs, convertor, gear ratio, tire size, best e.t. and mph, but more importantly,,,,, what was their e.t. and mph there at the Big Block Ford Bash where all cars are running under the same conditions.

To me that would be very valuable information. It would be "Real World" information and take some of these "happy Desk Top Dyno numbers" out of the equation. That's what I like about the BB Ford Bash. We're all there operating under the same conditions, the hoods are off, the engines are out in the open, guys can look at your engine, ask questions, and they can see how the car runs. Sharing information is the key here, and the purpose for all of us is to make our BB Fords run better, go faster and WIN races :!:

Later,

Charlie Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I second that motion Charlie the was a lot of info being shared by all. Thank you to all that made it happen. Charlie I had a chance to sit down and talk with the Lawyer clan what a great family learned lots from talking & helping them. Charlie what you are talking about for next year sounds great.

Tom Williams
Big Block 36 Ford 1 ton truck 460 5spd
1929 Ford Model A
1972 Gran Torino Sport
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
2006 Ford Ranger
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...emod4fun36.jpg
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Charlie,

These all sound like great ideas. I think the panel idea is a great way for some of us to learn. If possible maybe some of the vendors could supply parts for on track testing such as different carbs., headers., etc. Great time and place to try on track testing, back to back for everyone to see. Obviously some of these parts would need to be prearranged but the idea of somebody bolting on a different set of headers on a proven combo sounds cool.

85 Mustang GT, Ice Blue, A460 headed 572, [email protected], 70 Mach 1 428 CJ, 69 Boss 9 clone, 1973 'cuda 340, 68 Barracuda SS/AH clone project, 67 GT390, 64 Cutlass, 1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone, 78 King Cobra.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

That is a good idea Charlie.. For instance when I dyno tested Shannon's engine it made 585 horsepower at around 6000rpm and about the same torque number at 4500. It ran 6.67 in his pickup truck at the bash. I'm not sure exactly how much that thing weighs but probably around 3200lbs.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 PM

I agree with the amount of knowledge, plus it was almost like a big family reunion just without the crazy cousin!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Jones ,

You forgot about Darren, mabe the crazy cousin was there :lol:

Sorry D.........

Blake

Blake

580 inch Ported P-51's
1003 hp @7200 810 tq @ 6100
86 Notch
29.5x13.5 Ladder Bar
1.200 60ft 5.41 @ 127.78 mph 8.51 @ 156 mph
200 shot 5.23 135 mph 1.13 60 ft. on the rear tire.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM

I am in, after watching the dvds I would really like to have been there and I won't miss the next one for anything. Sounds like a great plan Charlie. To me this big block ford bash is sort of like Field of Dreams, I think thats the movie, "If you build it they will come", If the show is on the racers will come.

Just my thoughts,
Kyle
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

How long??

How long will it be before we can have a definite date?? I have to pick my vacations for 2008 by December of this year. I just lucked into this Bash, and I don't want to miss the next.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 PM

'Ah'll be thar, with a couple of new do-hickeys. I'll send samples to Lem & Charlie first...to see if they approve.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 PM

Re: Next Years (2008) Tech Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.evans
I also hear a lot of stupid wild claims of big horsepower, big flow numbers coming out of a couple of shops on the east coast, but I never see the proof.
Later,
Charlie,

Care to name these shops ?

To add to your thoughts I think it would be really cool to have a manufactures mid-way - FFRP, TFS, IDT-Eliminator, etc...

I'm sure everyone would benefit from seeing what is avialable from those who support our BBF hobby.

Steve
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildog
Oh great.....ganging up on me I see.........thought ya had my back man....... :roll:

'71 Mustang Mach1 370 Truck Motor
'09 Shelby GT500
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 AM

Sounds good so far Charley,Keep that motorhead mind turning! Rick

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

I've been thinking about this idea of Charlie's and I do think it's a good one. It would be fun to have people who have demonstrated the performance of their car at the Bash talk about their combination a little bit so that people will have a better understanding of the performance that's possible from all sorts of engine builds from very mild to state of the art.

I can think of a couple of people right now who would have no problem with sharing this sort of information, why not? And I think most people would be shocked at how good some cars are running with even very modest engine and chassis equipment.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 AM

Charlie,

If all goes well and Bill and I can get something going here in the next month as far as a set racing program with what each of us wants to do and attend then I am positive we could make the bash this year also. I am sure you know that we were on a pretty tight schedule to try and make this last bash and it just simply did not happen. Neither of us could justify making the maiden voyage passes 10 hours away in Kentucky with a completley different beast under the hood. And we were not ready to make our first pass in the car until the week after anyways. Hopefully you will see us there.

Are there any prizes for the longest and heaviest cars :?: Maybe we could stand a chance and win that. :lol:

Take Care,
Travis
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Travis,

I think everybody there will be impressed by Bills' & your ride. 8) I'd say the Maryland/Florida connection is a pretty good one. We look forward to seeing you next year.

As for prizes for the longest and heaviest ride, I don't know. However, nothing surprises me anymore and a couple of times when I looked up, Lem was just standing beside the return road and handing out free giveaways. Everything from oil filters to AN wrenches, and ball caps to T-shirts.

Have a good summer racing,

Charlie Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in